Quantcast

4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question

bob.miller
We have a venerable old database that's been running fine on Windows XP,
and now some users have Windows 7 and want to run 4D Client v6.8 on it.
Problem is, when attempting to create a connection, users get the error
"The resource cache file cannot be created".

I figure this is a permissions error on the client machine, but there's a
catch: In Windows 7, the folder "C:\Documents and
Settings\<userid>\Application Data\" where the "4D" folder is normally
located has been replaced by the folder "C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\".
Perhaps 4DClient is trying to write to a folder that doesn't exist in
Windows 7?

Where could 4D be trying to write its temporary files?

Alternatively, is there a way to configure 4D client (remember this is
6.8) to store its "Favorites" and resource files in a folder other than
the default?

I know 6.8 is so last century, but as it keeps on ticking, it keeps being
used at this one location by 55 users daily...as an aside, this is one of
those apps that  "the management" has been trying to replace for 15 years
now...!

Bob Miller
Parker Hannifin Corp.

PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.
The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: 4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question

Ed Glassgow
Hi Bob,

I have quite a number of users running Client 6.8.6 on Windows 7 with no
issues.  In fact, I just moved a copy over to a machine that was not
running it, double-clicked and it copied the resource file and came up
and running fine.

Anything special about this network?

You didn't say what version of Client you were running.  It seems to me
that earlier versions of 6.8 (earlier than 6.8.6) had some network
related issues.  If you are running an earlier version, you may want to
give that a shot.

Ed Glassgow
[hidden email]

On 6/1/10 2:13 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> We have a venerable old database that's been running fine on Windows XP,
> and now some users have Windows 7 and want to run 4D Client v6.8 on it.
> Problem is, when attempting to create a connection, users get the error
> "The resource cache file cannot be created".
>
> I figure this is a permissions error on the client machine, but there's a
> catch: In Windows 7, the folder "C:\Documents and
> Settings\<userid>\Application Data\" where the "4D" folder is normally
> located has been replaced by the folder "C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\".
> Perhaps 4DClient is trying to write to a folder that doesn't exist in
> Windows 7?
>
> Where could 4D be trying to write its temporary files?
>
> Alternatively, is there a way to configure 4D client (remember this is
> 6.8) to store its "Favorites" and resource files in a folder other than
> the default?
>
> I know 6.8 is so last century, but as it keeps on ticking, it keeps being
> used at this one location by 55 users daily...as an aside, this is one of
> those apps that  "the management" has been trying to replace for 15 years
> now...!
>
> Bob Miller
> Parker Hannifin Corp.
>
> PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
> privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
> of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
> recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
> then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
> cooperation.
> The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
> Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: 4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question

bob.miller
Ed,

Re: I have quite a number of users running Client 6.8.6 on Windows 7 with
no
issues.

Are you using compatibility mode, or Windows 7 "native mode" ?

Clearly this is a permissions problem, but I don't know where the .res and
.rex files are supposed to be located; on your machines, where do these
files end up?

Many thanks,

- Bob Miller
Parker Hannifin Corp.

PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
cooperation.
The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

RE: 4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question

Joshua Fletcher
At the risk of getting fired for helping with 6.x...and in my defense Bob once bought me lobster... :)

I think you can call "Get 4D Folder" on the client for the location 4D wants to use.

-Josh

--
Josh Fletcher
4D Technical Services Team Member

Honestly, I'm not doing anything special at all.  Just dragged the 4D
Client folder from our server, opened the folder and double-clicked
"4DClient.EXE".

On the machine that I just tested it with the current user is "Ed" and
the full path is "C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\4D"

You got me thinking that perhaps this was a user issue, so I created a
normal user (not administrator) account on that machine called "Test"
and switched users.  I dragged the 4D Client folder from our server to
the desktop, opened it, double-click and things proceeded absolutely
normally.  I checked and the path to the 4D folder for that user is
""C:\Users\Test\AppData\Roaming\4D".

You might copy a 4D folder from another machine to the correct path and
see what happens!

Ed

On 6/2/10 2:55 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> Ed,
>
> Re: I have quite a number of users running Client 6.8.6 on Windows 7 with
> no
> issues.
>
> Are you using compatibility mode, or Windows 7 "native mode" ?
>
> Clearly this is a permissions problem, but I don't know where the .res and
> .rex files are supposed to be located; on your machines, where do these
> files end up?
>
> Many thanks,
>
> - Bob Miller
> Parker Hannifin Corp.
>

> PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
> privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
> of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
> recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
> then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
> cooperation.
> The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
> Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

RE: 4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question (also Vista and 2003)

randyengle
We have a similar problem with one of our Client/Server installations using
Vista.

The following works on my Vista machine and many others, however, we have
one installation (an Air Force Base),  that this doesn't work for.  There is
no doubt, some sneaky other security setting that needs to be changed.

If anyone can offer anything at all that we might look for, I'm all ears.

The standard items that we address are:

1.            Set the installer itself to XP compatible.

2.            Install into C:\<DB Folder>

3.            Set DEP to Allow DB to Run

              Program Properties
4.            Set XC2 to compatibility for XP

5.            Set it to "Run as Administrator" for ALL USERS

               User Account Control
               User Accounts in Control Panel
6.            Turn off:  User Account Control

Randy Engle

> Hi Bob,
>
> Honestly, I'm not doing anything special at all.  Just dragged the 4D
> Client folder from our server, opened the folder and double-clicked
> "4DClient.EXE".
>
> On the machine that I just tested it with the current user is "Ed" and
> the full path is "C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\4D"
>
> You got me thinking that perhaps this was a user issue, so I created a
> normal user (not administrator) account on that machine called "Test"
> and switched users.  I dragged the 4D Client folder from our server to
> the desktop, opened it, double-click and things proceeded absolutely
> normally.  I checked and the path to the 4D folder for that user is
> ""C:\Users\Test\AppData\Roaming\4D".
>
> You might copy a 4D folder from another machine to the correct path and
> see what happens!
>
> Ed

> > Ed,
> >
> > Re: I have quite a number of users running Client 6.8.6 on Windows 7
> with
> > no
> > issues.
> >
> > Are you using compatibility mode, or Windows 7 "native mode" ?
> >
> > Clearly this is a permissions problem, but I don't know where the
> .res and
> > .rex files are supposed to be located; on your machines, where do
> these
> > files end up?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> >
> > - Bob Miller
> > Parker Hannifin Corp.

The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: 4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question

Sujit Shah
I have users on Windows 7 - 4D Client 6.7.4. Right click on
4DClient.exe and "Run as Administrator" and "Run in XP Mode".

http://www.intowindows.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Runasadministratorinwindows7_thumb.jpg

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 7:38 AM, Ed Glassgow <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Honestly, I'm not doing anything special at all.  Just dragged the 4D Client
> folder from our server, opened the folder and double-clicked "4DClient.EXE".
>
> On the machine that I just tested it with the current user is "Ed" and the
> full path is "C:\Users\Ed\AppData\Roaming\4D"
>
> You got me thinking that perhaps this was a user issue, so I created a
> normal user (not administrator) account on that machine called "Test" and
> switched users.  I dragged the 4D Client folder from our server to the
> desktop, opened it, double-click and things proceeded absolutely normally.
>  I checked and the path to the 4D folder for that user is
> ""C:\Users\Test\AppData\Roaming\4D".
>
> You might copy a 4D folder from another machine to the correct path and see
> what happens!
>
> Ed

>> Ed,
>>
>> Re: I have quite a number of users running Client 6.8.6 on Windows 7 with
>> no
>> issues.
>>
>> Are you using compatibility mode, or Windows 7 "native mode" ?
>>
>> Clearly this is a permissions problem, but I don't know where the .res and
>> .rex files are supposed to be located; on your machines, where do these
>> files end up?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>>
>> - Bob Miller
>> Parker Hannifin Corp.
>>

>> PLEASE NOTE: The preceding information may be confidential or
>> privileged. It only should be used or disseminated for the purpose
>> of conducting business with Parker. If you are not an intended
>> recipient, please notify the sender by replying to this message and
>> then delete the information from your system. Thank you for your
>> cooperation.
>> The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D
>> Developer.
>> Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html
>>

>> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

> The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D
> Developer.  Sign up Now:
>  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"The butterfly does not count years, but moments, and therefore has
enough time." - Rabindranath Tagore
The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: 4D Client v6.8 on Windows 7 Question

Excellence
Thanks a lot Sujit for your help!!!
We had the same problem and we solved thanks to you

Greetings from Santiago, Chile - South-America