4D Server and MS/HyperV deployment

Randy Engle

Hello to all,

We have a customer asking us if our product will work with MS/HyperV.
It works just fine with VMWare, but we don't know if we have any customers
using the MS product.

Anyone here have any experience with MS/HyperV and 4D?

We are using 4D Server 12.6 (Windows)

Many thanks,

Randy Engle

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: 4D Server and MS/HyperV deployment

Jeffrey Kain
It works well.

On Dec 11, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Randy Engle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a customer asking us if our product will work with MS/HyperV.
> It works just fine with VMWare, but we don't know if we have any customers
> using the MS product.
>
> Anyone here have any experience with MS/HyperV and 4D?
>
> We are using 4D Server 12.6 (Windows)

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: 4D Server and MS/HyperV deployment

Thomas Maul-3
HyperV got major feature and performance boost with the just release MS Windows Server 2012r2.
This is a major new release, not just a kind of service pack, especially in the virtualization area.

Check with your customer which version of Windows Server they want to use.
For best performance use 2012r2, but mind that you need to use 4D v13.4 as minimum version.

On Dec 11, 2013, at 1:21 PM, Randy Engle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We have a customer asking us if our product will work with MS/HyperV.
> It works just fine with VMWare, but we don't know if we have any
> customers using the MS product.
>
> Anyone here have any experience with MS/HyperV and 4D?
>
> We are using 4D Server 12.6 (Windows)

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make your applications richer and faster http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: 4D Server and MS/HyperV deployment

Bruno LEGAY
Hi Thomas,

> Check with your customer which version of Windows Server they want to use.
> For best performance use 2012r2, but mind that you need to use 4D v13.4 as minimum version.

Are you saying that 12.x is not compatible/certified for 2012r2 ?

Matrix certification for 12.5 and 13.2 mention "certified" for "Win Serv. 2012 x64" (not being specific about R2).

We had a client using a v12.x database planning to move a server from a physical Windows 2003 server to virtualized Windows 2008 or maybe virtualized Windows 2012 or if possible virtualized Windows 2012 R2.
I looked at matrix certification and told him all theses options would be ok (in theory)....

Is it a case of v12.6 has not gone through certification process for 2012r2 ? Or is it that there are known problems for v12.6 on Windows 2012 R2 (which won't be fixed since this version has reached end of support stage).

Thanks for your clarification :-)

Bruno LEGAY

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: 4D Server and MS/HyperV deployment

Thomas Maul-3
Microsoft Windows Server 2012r2 was released together with Windows 8.1 on October 18th, 2013.

As v12.6 (and so of course also v12.5) was released before this date, it cannot be certified (executing and passing through all tests).
It was not tested at all (as the version was not existing).

Don't forget that the feature set difference between Windows Server 2012r2 and 2012 is bigger than 2008r2 and 2012. This is a huge major version.
Don't get confused by the naming. 2008, 2008r2, 2012, 2012r2 are 4 different versions. Except if the Microsoft server license is under "software assurance", there is no free, not even paid upgrade, the customer needs to repurchase the product. It is not a kind of hotfix or service pack, it is a major release.

And as major release, besides bringing new features, it brings new libraries/API's or changes - and require rework of applications, in minimum major testing.

The release cycle of Microsoft has drastically fastened.
You can say "2008, 2008r2, 2012, 2012r2". But you could also say "2008, 2010, 2012, 2014". And the last version was released even earlier, they did not needed 24 months, only 18. And that's server versions, desktop versions are even faster, Windows 8.1 came 12 months after Windows 8.

If you want to upgrade to newest OS, you also need to upgrade the used software to keep both in sync.

Beside you cannot purchase an upgrade from Windows Server 2012 to 2012r2, you cannot double click an installer to "upgrade" your computer. You need to migrate it, which is, depending of the installed services, up to several hundred pages of migration guidelines and may take days. Looking on this huge administrative time effort, I would not waste time today to install Windows Server 2012 or even 2008 and use 2012r2 for new installations.