4D Web Store Approach...

4D Tech mailing list
So, I have Mac-based 4D v15 desktop application that’s supporting about 10 users via client/server on a local LAN. There is a need to create a public-facing web presence that would allow access to the data managed by 4D (254 GBs of externally referenced TIFFs).  The client wants to sell access to these documents where each page is a separate TIFF. The web customer would need to do a search on the documents index in 4D and then view the chosen image (page). At this point, I’d like to work out the best way to accomplish: customer login (account creation), searching the database, loading the TIFF images. For now, the billing and working out how to charge can come later. The data is very valuable so it must be kept secure. So, how would you structure this?

Plan A: My original though was to activate the 4D web server and let the local server become the web server. Currently the 4D server is not using a public IP….  What would need to change regarding ports being opened and such to allow the LAN users and the 4D web server to operate too? The client is very security conscious about incoming connections.

Plan B: move the whole system to the cloud. I have another system running on MacMiniVault which is 100% web access and it has it’s own public IP. With this approach, the current LAN users could possibly connect with 4D over the internet…. Possible security and performance problems with that idea.

Plan C: Something super-awesome that you suggest that I never thought about!  :)

Thanks for your input!

Robert

Re: 4D Web Store Approach...

4D Tech mailing list

> Am 09.06.2017 um 21:40 schrieb Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>:
>
> So, I have Mac-based 4D v15 desktop application that’s supporting about 10 users via client/server on a local LAN. There is a need to create a public-facing web presence that would allow access to the data managed by 4D (254 GBs of externally referenced TIFFs).  The client wants to sell access to these documents where each page is a separate TIFF. The web customer would need to do a search on the documents index in 4D and then view the chosen image (page). At this point, I’d like to work out the best way to accomplish: customer login (account creation), searching the database, loading the TIFF images. For now, the billing and working out how to charge can come later. The data is very valuable so it must be kept secure. So, how would you structure this?
>
> Plan A: My original though was to activate the 4D web server and let the local server become the web server. Currently the 4D server is not using a public IP….  What would need to change regarding ports being opened and such to allow the LAN users and the 4D web server to operate too? The client is very security conscious about incoming connections.
>
> Plan B: move the whole system to the cloud. I have another system running on MacMiniVault which is 100% web access and it has it’s own public IP. With this approach, the current LAN users could possibly connect with 4D over the internet…. Possible security and performance problems with that idea.
>
> Plan C: Something super-awesome that you suggest that I never thought about!  :)

Hi Robert,

Plan C with a twist : Use Active4D as middelware and rite the front-end in a standard JS framework ( JQWidgets and Bootstrap are great).
Get a static IP for the server.
Oh, and ditch using Macs as Servers, sorry but they s..k big time as servers…

Done a full WebShop for car spare parts this way and it’s a dream.

Achieving what you intend to is actually not that big a deal, including the security part.

Contact me vie PM if you want more specifics : awheintz(at)heintz.net.

<shameless plug>I do this for a living, so I offer outsourcing services for bringing 4D into the web</shameless plug>

Cheers
Alex

Re: 4D Web Store Approach...

I recently completed a similar project where I needed to serve over 300gb of pdfs managed by 4D. I used a Xojo web app as the front end web server. With 4D listening on a port not accessible from the outside, Xojo passes search criteria as an http request via local host to 4D and 4D returns via local host the file path to the requested PDF. Xojo creates a "webfile" of the PDF file and displays the "webfile" (PDF) in the users browser. The file path to the PDF is  never exposed to the internet.

> On Jun 9, 2017, at 9:40 AM, Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> So, I have Mac-based 4D v15 desktop application that’s supporting about 10 users via client/server on a local LAN. There is a need to create a public-facing web presence that would allow access to the data managed by 4D (254 GBs of externally referenced TIFFs).  The client wants to sell access to these documents where each page is a separate TIFF. The web customer would need to do a search on the documents index in 4D and then view the chosen image (page). At this point, I’d like to work out the best way to accomplish: customer login (account creation), searching the database, loading the TIFF images. For now, the billing and working out how to charge can come later. The data is very valuable so it must be kept secure. So, how would you structure this?
>
> Plan A: My original though was to activate the 4D web server and let the local server become the web server. Currently the 4D server is not using a public IP….  What would need to change regarding ports being opened and such to allow the LAN users and the 4D web server to operate too? The client is very security conscious about incoming connections.
>
> Plan B: move the whole system to the cloud. I have another system running on MacMiniVault which is 100% web access and it has it’s own public IP. With this approach, the current LAN users could possibly connect with 4D over the internet…. Possible security and performance problems with that idea.
>
> Plan C: Something super-awesome that you suggest that I never thought about!  :)
>
> Thanks for your input!
>
> Robert

Re: 4D Web Store Approach...

Paul Dennis
I have been doing this for years with large library of pdf's. I  do as follows.

Create site in cloud with plesk control panel - this inc apache and nginx reverse proxy.
Optionlal Install joomla for front pages
Store the tiffs in cloud
Proxy the 4d requests via nginx to 4d on local server
Use 4d with active 4d or lightning component to serve pages for search
Return path to a pdf to browser where the path to pdf is in proxy list so file gets served by nginx
4D never gets exposed to public.

Paul