AS400 & 4D...

4D Tech mailing list
I have an existing client that is purchasing another company that’s using an AS400.  What are my connectivity options via 4D?  ODBC?

Thanks,

Robert

Re: AS400 & 4D...

4D Tech mailing list
Robert wrote:

> I have an existing client that is purchasing another company that’s using an AS400.  What are my connectivity options via 4D?  ODBC?

Wow - I haven’t seen one of those things in a long time. When they came out I was using 4D v1.0.6.

It’s going to depend on what’s running on it. If it’s been upgraded over the years (and even has an IP stack on it), it may be running web apps and (assuming they have developers) you may be able to do REST calls. Maybe.

Most likely it’s running DB2, which means ODBC at best.

If you can’t get in via ODBC and you have to do some sort of file transfer, be aware that the AS/400 uses EBCDIC. You’ll be better off just dropping the client.

Kidding.

(not really)

Regards,
Ben Kershaw

Re: AS400 & 4D...

>Robert,

You would need to use ODBC to connect to the DB2 database.  I have not
needed to do this since the 90¹s so no longer have any current information.

Often AS/400 systems have many well defined and documented file transfer
processes to allow communication with other systems so I would look out
for other ways to connect than just direct access.

Regards,  Dougie

Re: AS400 & 4D...

If memory serves, and you can find him (Arizona?), and he will talk to you,
I think that Steven G. Willis had a girlfriend that was an AS/400 expert.

On Sat, Jun 10, 2017 at 7:52 AM, Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have an existing client that is purchasing another company that’s using
> an AS400.  What are my connectivity options via 4D?  ODBC?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert

Re: AS400 & 4D...

4D Tech mailing list
LOL… this is freaking hilarious!  I will keep Mr Willis in mind….  Long ago he was in Florida and he was speaking to me.  At the moment, it looks like I will not have to deal with the AS400 but it was a question from an existing client.

Thanks to all of you that chimed in—Robert