Apple Notary Service

4D Tech mailing list
Has anyone tried to notarize a built 4D application with Apple yet? Is it possible with 4D?

Thanks.

--
Cannon.Smith
Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.

RE: Apple Notary Service

4D Tech mailing list
Cannon,

I helped my client do this.

Get the basic Apple developer program ID ($99/year)

Follow their instructions to generate a certificate for your application.

We provided the CSR to the process. They provided the certificate after a few days.

hth

David Ringsmuth

Re: Apple Notary Service

I think Miyako has something on his github account...

> On Mar 15, 2019, at 12:02 PM, Cannon Smith via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Has anyone tried to notarize a built 4D application with Apple yet? Is it possible with 4D?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Apple Notary Service

Hi David,

Thanks! I’m glad to know that it works. I wouldn’t be surprised if we need it this fall.

--
Cannon.Smith
Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.
Aetna, AB Canada
<[hidden email]>
<www.synergyfarmsolutions.com>

> On Mar 15, 2019, at 12:39 PM, David Ringsmuth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I helped my client do this.

Re: Apple Notary Service

Hi Jeff,

That’s a pretty safe statement to make! :-)

I’ll take a look. Thanks much.

--
Cannon.Smith
Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.
Aetna, AB Canada
<[hidden email]>
<www.synergyfarmsolutions.com>

> On Mar 15, 2019, at 12:57 PM, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think Miyako has something on his github account...

Re: Apple Notary Service

> I think Miyako has something on his github account...

Notarisation goes one step further than a normal code sign.

This example only deals with code signing.

https://github.com/miyako/4d-utility-build-application

c.f.

http://forums.4d.com/Post/FR/26869162/1/26874716#26874716

Further reading:

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/security/notarizing_your_app_before_distribution

https://developer.apple.com/documentation/bundleresources/entitlements/com_apple_security_cs_allow-jit?language=objc

Note: You can code sign your App with the "Mac Developer" profile, which does not require a $99 membership, just a free apple ID promoted to an Apple Developer ID. The app will be flagged to be coming from an "unidentified developer" but the user can still choose to run it. Im my opinion, there is no reason for a 4D developer to not sign their app at least using this option. You can also code sign a 4D for iOS app with this option, if you only need to install and run your app on your own device. The $99 membership enables the "Developer ID Application" and "Developer ID Installer" profile and their iOS counterparts required for distribution via the App Store in addition to ad hoc deployment to registered devices. The enterprise membership enables distribution outside the App Store, so the two programs are actually complementary, not mutually exclusive.

Re: Apple Notary Service

4D Tech mailing list
Does this really work (or might it break in the future) as 4D modifies the application package at runtime? I noticed that the code signature is no longer valid once you run the application (codesign --verify --verbose /path/to/application).

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

> On Mar 15, 2019, at 9:29 PM, Keisuke Miyako via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Notarisation goes one step further than a normal code sign.

Re: Apple Notary Service

Hi Miyako,

I do have the yearly membership and find it important to get our application to behave as closely as possible to what users expect. I often don’t have any contact with someone who downloads our software and if they see any kind of warning that looks fishy they won’t even try it out and I’ll never know the difference.

Thanks for the information. Another source of information that I found helpful was:

        https://blog.zeplin.io/dev-journal-automate-notarizing-macos-apps-94b0b144ba9d