Application Metrics

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
I just learned that Facebook is getting rid of a few apps, partially based on low usage. So, in your 4D applications are you tracking usage levels of any kind? I suppose it would be useful to know what features are heavily used and which are almost never used. What metrics does your system collect that you’ve found useful?

Thanks,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
Hi Robert, since you are talking about usage patterns I suggest you approach it from the actions that your user’s are performing. This can help you understand what the users are doing most along with some context.

A good place to start would be to track every time the user
- Selects a menu item
- Adds a new record
- Edits a record
- Runs a report
- Performs a search (f you have a custom search it can be useful to track which search terms are used).

If you have admin users and regular users that can be helpful as well to track along with the actions.

This kind of information can really help you understand what aspects of the program are being used and those that are not. Really helps when you are trying to work through a long list of feature requests.

Also, if your app is a web app, adding Google analytics (or something similar) is a very easy way to add page tracking.

Dani


> On Jul 3, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I just learned that Facebook is getting rid of a few apps, partially based on low usage. So, in your 4D applications are you tracking usage levels of any kind? I suppose it would be useful to know what features are heavily used and which are almost never used. What metrics does your system collect that you’ve found useful?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> **********************************************************************
> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> **********************************************************************

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
Thanks Dani, that’s very helpful.

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Dani Beaubien <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Robert, since you are talking about usage patterns I suggest you approach it from the actions that your user’s are performing.

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
Robert writes:

> in your 4D applications are you tracking usage levels of any kind? I suppose it
>would be useful to know what features are heavily used and which are almost
>never used. What metrics does your system collect that you've found useful?

We don't keep track of features used, but we do keep track of performance metrics, mostly around system response, transaction counts and concurrent user counts. Feature use would be a great addition.

Tom Benedict
Optum
This e-mail, including attachments, may include confidential and/or
proprietary information, and may be used only by the person or entity
to which it is addressed. If the reader of this e-mail is not the intended
recipient or his or her authorized agent, the reader is hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail is
prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by replying to this message and delete this e-mail immediately.
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
Dani, how might the app be reporting this data back to the mothership? Imagine, 4D client server not a web app.

Also, how would this help with feature requests...? Wouldn’t you need the feature available to the user before you could track it?

Thanks,

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Dani Beaubien <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This kind of information can really help you understand what aspects of the program are being used and those that are not. Really helps when you are trying to work through a long list of feature requests.

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
Tom, can you give us an idea what/how this data is tabulated and how it’s reported back to you?

Thanks,

Rob

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 3:07 PM, Benedict, Tom <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We don’t keep track of features used, but we do keep track of performance metrics, mostly around system response, transaction counts and concurrent user counts. Feature use would be a great addition.
>
>  
>
> Tom Benedict
>
> Optum
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
Probably the easiest way to do this is to create a new table and and create a new row per event. Easy to conceptualize and easy to implement. And you can then run queries against it easily.

For feature requests, it can help if you know that a feature request is being made against an area that is almost never used vs a feature request that is made against an area that is heavily used. It helps with the assessment of priority and potential impacts.

Dani

> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Robert ListMail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Dani, how might the app be reporting this data back to the mothership? Imagine, 4D client server not a web app.
>
> Also, how would this help with feature requests...? Wouldn’t you need the feature available to the user before you could track it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rob
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
>> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Dani Beaubien <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> This kind of information can really help you understand what aspects of the program are being used and those that are not. Really helps when you are trying to work through a long list of feature requests.
>

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
Taking you back to JonokeMed days Dani circa ~ 2010. Jonoke did all of that so we could know what was used or not. I used the results a lot.

Jody


> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:17 PM, Dani Beaubien via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Probably the easiest way to do this is to create a new table and and create a new row per event. Easy to conceptualize and easy to implement. And you can then run queries against it easily.
>
> For feature requests, it can help if you know that a feature request is being made against an area that is almost never used vs a feature request that is made against an area that is heavily used. It helps with the assessment of priority and potential impacts.
>
> Dani
>
>> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:09 PM, Robert ListMail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Dani, how might the app be reporting this data back to the mothership? Imagine, 4D client server not a web app.
>>
>> Also, how would this help with feature requests...? Wouldn’t you need the feature available to the user before you could track it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rob
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On Jul 3, 2018, at 2:07 PM, Dani Beaubien <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> This kind of information can really help you understand what aspects of the program are being used and those that are not. Really helps when you are trying to work through a long list of feature requests.
>>

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
We track certain events and send information about them an anonymized to our server.

We focus on functions that are candidates for removal or functions where we would like to know how heavily they are being used.

We also track, when users update our software and when they update their licenses.

The application our users are using is the same we use inhouse so we basically added some features that are available only internally.

We use 4DACTION to send JSON to our server.

We use a table with some metadata and an object field that contains all the event-specific information. This way, we never need to modify the design of the tracking table.

We also locally store the event information in our user's database to give full transparency on what we transfer to our server.

Anonymity is key - we do not transfer any personal data without our user's consent.

Cheers,
Tilman

> Am 03.07.2018 um 20:55 schrieb Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>:
>
> I just learned that Facebook is getting rid of a few apps, partially based on low usage. So, in your 4D applications are you tracking usage levels of any kind? I suppose it would be useful to know what features are heavily used and which are almost never used. What metrics does your system collect that you’ve found useful?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert
>
> Sent from my iPhone
> **********************************************************************
> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> **********************************************************************

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
Tilman:

Agreed, Anonymity is very important. Way back then even the government (Universal Healthcare) was clueless about what was happening in their system. They had much of the data, but not the systems that could get the information out to them. Back then we had 20% of Canada being looked after in our various systems.

We would have each client’s servers gather various data and present to their administrators for their internal use. It was based on doctor with all of their assigned patients. The patient’s were never identified. This information with the doctor information removed was sent to our central server to accumulate. We then provided that national information to our clients. It was very interesting to read through.

Unfortunately, since it is Universal Health Care most doctors and managers didn’t care. Essentially they got paid for all the patient visits coming in their doors so they didn’t see a reason to change anything. I thought it would be a great way to discover trends in care and outcomes. Again not a point of interest for anyone in the Universal Health Care System - crazy!

As far as the metrics of what is happening in our systems as a whole, and specific sites I was very interested. Almost everyday I was going through the data returned to watch over it. So many more ideas I wanted to implement - but then things changed big time.

Jody


> On Jul 4, 2018, at 1:56 AM, Tilman Haerdle via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> We track certain events and send information about them an anonymized to our server.
>
> We focus on functions that are candidates for removal or functions where we would like to know how heavily they are being used.
>
> We also track, when users update our software and when they update their licenses.
>
> The application our users are using is the same we use inhouse so we basically added some features that are available only internally.
>
> We use 4DACTION to send JSON to our server.
>
> We use a table with some metadata and an object field that contains all the event-specific information. This way, we never need to modify the design of the tracking table.
>
> We also locally store the event information in our user's database to give full transparency on what we transfer to our server.
>
> Anonymity is key - we do not transfer any personal data without our user's consent.
>
> Cheers,
> Tilman
>
>> Am 03.07.2018 um 20:55 schrieb Robert ListMail via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> I just learned that Facebook is getting rid of a few apps, partially based on low usage. So, in your 4D applications are you tracking usage levels of any kind? I suppose it would be useful to know what features are heavily used and which are almost never used. What metrics does your system collect that you’ve found useful?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Robert
>>

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Application Metrics

4D Tech mailing list
Jody, how did your deployed app phone home....?

Thanks,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jul 4, 2018, at 8:38 AM, Jody Bevan via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This information with the doctor information removed was sent to our central server to accumulate.

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: https://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************