Best solution for printing Enterable PDF docs from 4D v15 or later

Best solution for printing Enterable PDF docs from 4D v15 or later

4D Tech mailing list
Development is on Windows 7 or later, 4D Server /Client v15 or later.

I have a project where my client wants me to generate Enterable PDF forms
within 4D that would be populated by variable data but also have form fields
that would be enterable by the customer.

Then my 4D App would email the form directly to the customer to be completed
and then emailed back to my client.

It would then be best for automation if my 4D App could parse the PDF
returned and populate data in 4D with the customer's completed form data.

I talked with 4D Tech support and they recommended I look at Plugin Products
from the following two companies.

www.node.de <http://www.node.de>

www.pluggers.nl <http://www.pluggers.nl>

I have looked at products from both but I am looking to you for some
guidance on which company's product would best suit my project needs.

Reviewing "4D PDF Printer Plugin" from Node, it appears to me that my client
would need to create the Enterable PDF Document in Acrobat Pro and set the
form fields to enterable and then I would load that PDF document and
populate some fields and leave others enterable, then email using one of
several options using freeware bundled with the Plugin.  This product also
has the ability to create PDF output using forms created in 4D using Print
Selection and Print Form, but it is unclear if those forms could have
enterable form fields.

Pluggers has several PDF related plugins.  The best I can determine is that
you can actually create the document as well as form fields that are
enterable by using the product "PDF Plugin".  However, they have another
product, "QPDF Plugin" that seems to have some overlap with "PDF Plugin".

Since both of these company's plugins can cost over $1,000, that is why I am
reaching out for some advice so that I don't purchase the wrong product.

Thanks in advance for any help on this decision.

Chuck Morris

Impossible Solutions, Inc.

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Best solution for printing Enterable PDF docs from 4D v15 or later

4D Tech mailing list

> On 14 Jun 2017, at 05:23, Chuck Morris via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a project where my client wants me to generate Enterable PDF forms
> within 4D that would be populated by variable data but also have form fields
> that would be enterable by the customer.

Hi Chuck,

My recommendation would be to use QPDF Plugin for this.

It allows you to:
- import PDF forms (designed using i.e. Adobe Acrobat) and fill-in data programmatically
- create PDF forms programmatically
- merge multiple PDF documents together
- flatten PDF forms so that the data becomes non-editable
- digitally sign a PDF document with a certificate in order to prove its authenticity

The plugin has a really rich feature set when it comes to working with PDF documents.
I suggest you have a look at the product documentation. Feel free to ask if you have more questions.

Kind regards,

- Rob Laveaux

Pluggers Software
Scholekstersingel 48
2496 MP  Den Haag
The Netherlands

Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Website: http://www.pluggers.nl <http://www.pluggers.nl/>