Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
I'm having a bit of trouble trying to set up our 4D app to run as a service
on a Windows server.

The server version is Windows Server 2016 Standard.
If I run the app "As Administrator" it starts up OK and we can connect to
it.

If I don't start it as Administrator, I get a message that the database (or
one of its segments) is locked.
If I try to set it up to run as a service, it doesn't work - in the
Services window, it says it's running, but in the Task Manager it says
Stopped. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to start the service,
it can't because of the locked data file problem.

So, I think the question is: How come it has to run As Administrator? I am
logged on (remotely via MS Remote Desktop) with, supposedly, full admin
privileges. How do I run it as not-administrator?

Thanks!
Pat

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
I wish 4D could produce an idiot’s guide to setting up 4D Server on Windows Server 2016 Standard as a service, especially as a web server.  I am going in circles.

Uist

--

Ceres Computer Consultants Ltd

Registered Office:
South Scotstarvit
Chance Inn
Cupar
Fife KY15 5QJ

+44 (0) 1334 828002

Registered in Scotland : SC107838

An ISO 9001 registered company.

This message including any attachments, is intended and authorized for
the addressee only, and may contain privileged and/or confidential
information.  If you are not the authorized addressee, you are not
authorized to either review or disseminate this message.  Accordingly,
if you are not the intended and authorized recipient, please disregard
this message and notify the sender.  If you are the authorized
addressee, you may use this for the purpose for which it was intended; a
direct, personal communication to you and your legal agents.  You may
not distribute it to or publish it in any public forum without prior,
specific, written permission from the sender.

> On 27 Feb 2019, at 10:40, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble trying to set up our 4D app to run as a service
> on a Windows server.
>
> The server version is Windows Server 2016 Standard.
> If I run the app "As Administrator" it starts up OK and we can connect to
> it.
>
> If I don't start it as Administrator, I get a message that the database (or
> one of its segments) is locked.
> If I try to set it up to run as a service, it doesn't work - in the
> Services window, it says it's running, but in the Task Manager it says
> Stopped. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to start the service,
> it can't because of the locked data file problem.
>
> So, I think the question is: How come it has to run As Administrator? I am
> logged on (remotely via MS Remote Desktop) with, supposedly, full admin
> privileges. How do I run it as not-administrator?
>
> Thanks!
> Pat

> CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
> tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
> w: http://www.catbase.com
> skype: pat.bensky

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

Hi Pat,

I don’t have any experience with running 4D as a Service, but I see that there is a Tech Tip from about 10 years ago which mentions having to “Run as Administrator”

https://kb.4d.com/assetid=75056

HTH,

Tom Benedict

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 02:40, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'm having a bit of trouble trying to set up our 4D app to run as a service
> on a Windows server.
>
> The server version is Windows Server 2016 Standard.
> If I run the app "As Administrator" it starts up OK and we can connect to
> it.
>
> If I don't start it as Administrator, I get a message that the database (or
> one of its segments) is locked.
> If I try to set it up to run as a service, it doesn't work - in the
> Services window, it says it's running, but in the Task Manager it says
> Stopped. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to start the service,
> it can't because of the locked data file problem.
>
> So, I think the question is: How come it has to run As Administrator? I am
> logged on (remotely via MS Remote Desktop) with, supposedly, full admin
> privileges. How do I run it as not-administrator?
>
> Thanks!
> Pat

> CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
> tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
> w: http://www.catbase.com
> skype: pat.bensky

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
We have 4D Server v17 HF3 set up as a service on Windows Server 2016.  I checked the service properties -- the "Log on as:" is set to "Local System account" and "Allow Service to interact with desktop" is checked.

I also have FireDaemon installed to make it easy to bounce into the "session 0" user interface if I need to view the 4D Server user interface.

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Tom Benedict via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Pat,
>
> I don’t have any experience with running 4D as a Service, but I see that there is a Tech Tip from about 10 years ago which mentions having to “Run as Administrator”
>
> https://kb.4d.com/assetid=75056
>
> HTH,
>
> Tom Benedict
>
>> On Feb 27, 2019, at 02:40, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm having a bit of trouble trying to set up our 4D app to run as a service
>> on a Windows server.
>>
>> The server version is Windows Server 2016 Standard.
>> If I run the app "As Administrator" it starts up OK and we can connect to
>> it.
>>
>> If I don't start it as Administrator, I get a message that the database (or
>> one of its segments) is locked.
>> If I try to set it up to run as a service, it doesn't work - in the
>> Services window, it says it's running, but in the Task Manager it says
>> Stopped. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to start the service,
>> it can't because of the locked data file problem.

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
Thanks Jeff.
I made that change and now the service appears to be running OK.
BUT ... I can't connect to it from a Client. It says Not Responding.  I've
only tested with a Client running on the same server, but that should work
- never had a problem doing that in the past. Makes no difference if I run
the Client as Administrator or not.

Do I need to change something else as well?

Thanks!

Pat

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 16:06, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> We have 4D Server v17 HF3 set up as a service on Windows Server 2016.  I
> checked the service properties -- the "Log on as:" is set to "Local System
> account" and "Allow Service to interact with desktop" is checked.
>
> I also have FireDaemon installed to make it easy to bounce into the
> "session 0" user interface if I need to view the 4D Server user interface.
>
> > On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Tom Benedict via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pat,
> >
> > I don’t have any experience with running 4D as a Service, but I see that
> there is a Tech Tip from about 10 years ago which mentions having to “Run
> as Administrator”
> >
> > https://kb.4d.com/assetid=75056
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Tom Benedict
> >
> >> On Feb 27, 2019, at 02:40, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm having a bit of trouble trying to set up our 4D app to run as a
> service
> >> on a Windows server.
> >>
> >> The server version is Windows Server 2016 Standard.
> >> If I run the app "As Administrator" it starts up OK and we can connect
> >> it.
> >>
> >> If I don't start it as Administrator, I get a message that the database
> (or
> >> one of its segments) is locked.
> >> If I try to set it up to run as a service, it doesn't work - in the
> >> Services window, it says it's running, but in the Task Manager it says
> >> Stopped. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to start the
> service,
> >> it can't because of the locked data file problem.

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
Pretty weird... I didn't have to change anything else, but I never tried connecting a client on the server machine while 4D Server was running as a service.

Can you connect from a client over the network? Clients on the server machine seem to use an optimized protocol that doesn't involve the network stack.

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 11:56 AM, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I made that change and now the service appears to be running OK.
> BUT ... I can't connect to it from a Client. It says Not Responding.  I've
> only tested with a Client running on the same server, but that should work
> - never had a problem doing that in the past. Makes no difference if I run
> the Client as Administrator or not.
>
> Do I need to change something else as well?

RE: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

Pat,

Just to make sure:
You've got TCP 19812-19814 ports open in Advanced Windows Firewall inbound rules.
Yes?

Randy Engle

wrote:

> We have 4D Server v17 HF3 set up as a service on Windows Server 2016.
> I checked the service properties -- the "Log on as:" is set to "Local
> System account" and "Allow Service to interact with desktop" is checked.
>
> I also have FireDaemon installed to make it easy to bounce into the
> "session 0" user interface if I need to view the 4D Server user interface.
>
> > On Feb 27, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Tom Benedict via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Pat,
> >
> > I don’t have any experience with running 4D as a Service, but I see
> > that
> there is a Tech Tip from about 10 years ago which mentions having to
> “Run as Administrator”
> >
> > https://kb.4d.com/assetid=75056
> >
> > HTH,
> >
> > Tom Benedict
> >
> >> On Feb 27, 2019, at 02:40, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech
> >> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> I'm having a bit of trouble trying to set up our 4D app to run as a
> service
> >> on a Windows server.
> >>
> >> The server version is Windows Server 2016 Standard.
> >> If I run the app "As Administrator" it starts up OK and we can
> >> connect
> >> it.
> >>
> >> If I don't start it as Administrator, I get a message that the
> >> database
> (or
> >> one of its segments) is locked.
> >> If I try to set it up to run as a service, it doesn't work - in the
> >> Services window, it says it's running, but in the Task Manager it
> >> says Stopped. I'm guessing this is because when it tries to start
> >> the
> service,
> >> it can't because of the locked data file problem.

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
Randy,

I am have the same issue with 4D Server v16.4 and I’ve made sure that TCP ports 19812-19814 are open on the Windows firewall for the server. I can get it to stay running as a service if I have the interact with desktop box checked, but I can’t get a client to connect from the machine where 4D Server is running.

We have many customers running 4D Server v16.4 on Windows 2016 Standard and the only way that I have gotten it to run properly was to enter a specific account to log on as. Then the service stays running and I’m able to connect with 4D Client on the local machine.

This behavior with running 4D Server as a service started somewhere in the v16 builds.

Thanks,

Ken Kuehn
IT Support Manager
Label Traxx <http://www.labeltraxx.com/>

> On Feb 27, 2019, at 3:29 PM, Randy Engle via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Pat,
>
> Just to make sure:
> You've got TCP 19812-19814 ports open in Advanced Windows Firewall inbound rules.
> Yes?
>
> Randy Engle

Ken,

"We have many customers running 4D Server v16.4 on Windows 2016 Standard
and the only way that I have gotten it to run properly was to enter a
specific account to log on as. Then the service stays running and I’m able
to connect with 4D Client on the local machine. "
Can you explain in more detail what you're saying here?
Thanks!
Pat

On Wed, 27 Feb 2019 at 23:57, Ken Kuehn via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Randy,
>
> I am have the same issue with 4D Server v16.4 and I’ve made sure that TCP
> ports 19812-19814 are open on the Windows firewall for the server. I can
> get it to stay running as a service if I have the interact with desktop box
> checked, but I can’t get a client to connect from the machine where 4D
> Server is running.
>
> We have many customers running 4D Server v16.4 on Windows 2016 Standard
> and the only way that I have gotten it to run properly was to enter a
> specific account to log on as. Then the service stays running and I’m able
> to connect with 4D Client on the local machine.
>
> This behavior with running 4D Server as a service started somewhere in the
> v16 builds.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken Kuehn
> IT Support Manager
> Label Traxx <http://www.labeltraxx.com/>
>

> > On Feb 27, 2019, at 3:29 PM, Randy Engle via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Pat,
> >
> > Just to make sure:
> > You've got TCP 19812-19814 ports open in Advanced Windows Firewall
> inbound rules.
> > Yes?
> >
> > Randy Engle

Have a look at the docs:
https://doc.4d.com/4Dv17/4D/17.1/Registering-a-Database-as-a-Service.300-4203714.en.html

They recommend to run the server under an user account, if you want to use network shares, printers and so on.
But we don't install the services this way, we stay at system account yet, and don't get any problems.
We don't have experiences with Windows Server 2016 (2012 R2 yet) and we don't use the feature of interacting with the desktop. And we are able to connect to server with a client from the same machine.

A question: how do you connect the client to the server? Which address do you use, localhost, an IP 127.0.0.1 or another IP, a named address? That could lead to problems with the firewall. In case you use localhost (or 127.0.0.1), the firewall shouldn't be involved AFAIK.

Regards
Lutz

--
Lutz Epperlein
Agendo Gesellschaft für politische Planung mbH

RE: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
What is the file path to the location where you have the exe and data
installed. You can only use c:\\program files for the exe not the data. For
that use c:\\program data or as mentioned install under a user account. In
which case it runs from c:\users\username etc.
Paul

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 28, 2019, at 3:08 AM, Paul Dennis via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is the file path to the location where you have the exe and data
> installed. You can only use c:\\program files for the exe not the data. For
> that use c:\\program data or as mentioned install under a user account. In
> which case it runs from c:\users\username etc.
> Paul
>

> --
> Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

Hi Paul,

I use Inno Setup to create Windows installers for our 4D client and 4D server applications, the default install path for the server application is C:\Program Files. I normally set the data folder at the root of the C drive. However, the application that I support is installed at approximately 500 customer sites with various Windows and Mac operating system configurations, so I don’t always have access to or control over the environment where our 4D application is installed. For Windows Servers we still occasionally see 2008r2, but mainly 2012 or 2016 Standard, and I am now getting customers asking about support of 2019 Server.

In a handful of situations with previous 4D versions I’ve seen instances where I needed to specify a logon account (either domain or local admin) to get 4D Server to stay running as a Windows service, but since the release of 4D v16 (we’re currently using 16.4) I have had to setup the service  with s logon account so that the service starts and stays running.  If I just select the radio button for local system account and start the service, the status will change to running, but as soon as I refresh the services window it shows the service is not running. Also, checking the box for allow service to interact with desktop does not work.  It will show the service is running, but it’s not accessible from any 4D Client, local on the same machine or from any other workstation on the same local area network.

In the past week I have run into 2 instances where I have upgraded from a previous version of our 4D application running on v13.6 or 15.4 to the 16.4 version of our application.  The service ran without issue using the local system account option for both of those previous 4D versions, but now under 4D v16 the application will not run as a service. I’ve tried the local system account option, I've tried specifying a local admin account and also a domain admin account.  In all instances the server will show it’s running, but as soon as I refresh the services window it shows the service is not running. For the time being I have both 4D server instances running as an application under a local admin account until I can figure something out.

I’m open to any suggestions.

Thanks,

Ken Kuehn
IT Support Manager
Label Traxx <http://www.labeltraxx.com/>

Phone: 414-774-9997
Fax: 414-774-9986

Need a quick answer?  Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

> On Feb 28, 2019, at 3:03 AM, Paul Dennis via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What is the file path to the location where you have the exe and data
> installed. You can only use c:\\program files for the exe not the data. For
> that use c:\\program data or as mentioned install under a user account. In
> which case it runs from c:\users\username etc.
> Paul
>

> --
> Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

4D Tech mailing list
I have found it is always better to Install program and data on a second drive. I do not run as a service but had many update problems and running problems when on c drive

Sent from my iPhone

> [...]
>
> I’m open to any suggestions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken Kuehn
> IT Support Manager
> Label Traxx <http://www.labeltraxx.com/>
>
> Phone: 414-774-9997
> Fax: 414-774-9986
>
> Need a quick answer?  Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>

>> On Feb 28, 2019, at 3:03 AM, Paul Dennis via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> What is the file path to the location where you have the exe and data
>> installed. You can only use c:\\program files for the exe not the data. For
>> that use c:\\program data or as mentioned install under a user account. In
>> which case it runs from c:\users\username etc.
>> Paul
>>

>> --
>> Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

RE: Can'r run as a service on Windows 2016

I agree with Chuck here...

We never install our OEM system on the C drive, let along in the Program Files directory.  We always insist the server hardware be configured as C-Drive for Windows, D-Drive for data.

All our systems run as a service, with no special configuration required....

Best,

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]