Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Randy Engle
A customer contacted us this AM with an unusual crippling problem.

Simply:  Client Can't connect to server..
Was working yesterday....
Easy enough, right?

Not so!

Server is running fine
Can ping the server.

FYI:
4D 12.6 Windows
(this is built OEM App)

We got hold of their data file, tried it at our location, with a fresh
install of our server app
SAME results! Client can't connect:
        1. Can't see the server
        2. Inputting IP Address in custom Tab not work
        3. Also:  Server won't "QUIT" from file menu.  VERY VERY ODD!
                Dialog appears, but doesn't quit after clicking OK Button

The server app opens fine...
Checked Client/Server Port:  19813
Check IP Config Allow/Deny Table.  Nothing there
Tried with 3 other customer data files.  No problem.

We can open this fine with Single User (built OEM app)

Did an entire dump of all records (ie.. "SEND RECORD")
Pulled data back into new empty data file (RECEIVE RECORD)

Same results. No connection.

Gazzounds!

Anybody got any hot tips?
What could be in the "Data" File that would foobar this?
Looked at "Database Parameters" - nothing sticks out.

Client is dead in the water.  Ouch!

Many thanks,

Randy Engle
XC2 Software LLC

See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

Re: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Keith Culotta ns
Does the app load some preference setting (from a record or disk file) that would be unique to each datafile?

Keith
          Computer Dimensions, Inc.

On Jun 4, 2014, at 2:02 PM, Randy Engle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> A customer contacted us this AM with an unusual crippling problem.
>
> Simply:  Client Can't connect to server..
> Was working yesterday....
> Easy enough, right?
>
> Not so!
>
> Server is running fine
> Can ping the server.
>
> FYI:
> 4D 12.6 Windows
> (this is built OEM App)
>
> We got hold of their data file, tried it at our location, with a fresh
> install of our server app
> SAME results! Client can't connect:
> 1. Can't see the server
> 2. Inputting IP Address in custom Tab not work
> 3. Also:  Server won't "QUIT" from file menu.  VERY VERY ODD!
> Dialog appears, but doesn't quit after clicking OK Button
>
> The server app opens fine...
> Checked Client/Server Port:  19813
> Check IP Config Allow/Deny Table.  Nothing there
> Tried with 3 other customer data files.  No problem.
>
> We can open this fine with Single User (built OEM app)
>
> Did an entire dump of all records (ie.. "SEND RECORD")
> Pulled data back into new empty data file (RECEIVE RECORD)
>
> Same results. No connection.
>
> Gazzounds!
>
> Anybody got any hot tips?
> What could be in the "Data" File that would foobar this?
> Looked at "Database Parameters" - nothing sticks out.
>
> Client is dead in the water.  Ouch!
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Randy Engle
> XC2 Software LLC

> See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

Re: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Jack des Bouillons
Did you run a check or repair on the data file itself?

Jack

On 6/4/14 12:02 PM, "Randy Engle" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anybody got any hot tips?
> What could be in the "Data" File that would foobar this?
> Looked at "Database Parameters" - nothing sticks out.

See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

RE: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Randy Engle
Hi Keith,

We've got a bunch of preferences stored in records.
But I'm not thinking of any that would affect this behavior.'

Thanks for asking.

Randy Engle
XC2 Software LLC

Jack,

We ran a repair on data file (both levels)
Opened with our v13.5 app
Ran repair with 13.5

Was able to see server in connection dialog.
"Started" to work, got into the code... thought we were home free.
After a new seconds a message appeared that "Server will be shutting down"

Quit client.
Quit Server

Tried to start up again.
Same problem.
No Connection
Server Won't quit.

I'm bewildered!

Randy Engle
XC2 Software LLC

Keith White
How about removing code from On Server Startup, recompiling and then opening with their data.

Is a client connection allowed then?

Best regards

Keith White
Synergist Express Ltd, UK.

See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

RE: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Randy Engle
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the idea.
It's worth a shot!

Randy Engle
XC2 Software LLC

Ben Kershaw-3
Randy Engle wrote:

>Simply:  Client Can't connect to server..
>Was working yesterday….

Randy,

Did they have a server crash or anything weird happen? Anything in the Windows event log?

Do you run your servers using a journal file? Maybe the data file has some sort of setting where it’s trying to integrate the log file after a crash, and it can’t find the log file or it’s corrupted. If you throw away the journal file, start it in single user and do a full backup, maybe it will let you back in running under server.

This doesn’t fix the problem of possibly lost data, but it would tell you where the problem is...

Regards,
Ben Kershaw**********************************************************************
See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

Re: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

Tim Nevels
On Jun 4, 2014, at 2:24 PM, Randy Engle wrote:

> The server app opens fine...
> Checked Client/Server Port:  19813
> Check IP Config Allow/Deny Table.  Nothing there
> Tried with 3 other customer data files.  No problem.
>
> We can open this fine with Single User (built OEM app)
>
> Did an entire dump of all records (ie.. "SEND RECORD")
> Pulled data back into new empty data file (RECEIVE RECORD)
>
> Same results. No connection.
>
> Gazzounds!
>
> Anybody got any hot tips?
> What could be in the "Data" File that would foobar this?
> Looked at "Database Parameters" - nothing sticks out.
>
> Client is dead in the water.  Ouch!

Sounds like "On Server Startup" is not finishing. Clients cannot connect until it finishes.

Run this data file with an interpreted version of your structure and 4D Server. Put a hard TRACE at the top of "On Server Startup". See what happens.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

See how easy it is to extend your 4D solutions to Web and mobile. New opportunities await you with 4D v14!

Re: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

dnewcombe
I had the same problem today and it had me stumped.

Thanks Tim for the perfect answer. I intended to start a separate server process that runs in a loop. But it was running within On Server Startup instead. Oops!

... Dave Newcombe

Re: Client Can't Connect - Server won't "Quit"

4dialog
Had the same problems for some time ago, OSX server, 4dv12.x.
It was duplicatet 4d processes on the osx server, seems that an "old" 4d process hanging and it made the problem. Restarted the OSX server fixed the problem :)
Hilsen
Helge Antonsen
4Dialog as
Tel: +47 64 000 164