Compatibility Mode v12 (How to change to Unicode?)

Compatibility Mode v12 (How to change to Unicode?)

4D Tech mailing list
I am examining a Windows 7 4D v12.5 database.

The Compatibility tab in Database Settings indicates that the database is in "Compatibility mode".

See https://s10.postimg.org/7cx58znuh/compatibility_unicode_mode.png

Knowledge Base article #50076 "Unicode Mode vs. Compatibility Mode" says:

"The behavior of 4D in 'Compatibility mode' is the same as in previous versions of 4D. That is, all text data is treated as if 4D is still using the MacRoman ASCII character set."

So it appears that the character set being used in "Compatibility Mode" is MacRoman ASCII.

===========
QUESTIONS
===========

1) What happens to the existing text data in records (and indexes) if I check-mark "Unicode" in the Compatibility tab?

2) Will all text data in records (and also indexes) be automatically converted to Unicode?

3) How do I convert the existing text data in records (and indexes) to Unicode?

Re: Compatibility Mode v12 (How to change to Unicode?)

4D Tech mailing list
> 1) What happens to the existing text data in records (and indexes) if I check-mark "Unicode" in the Compatibility tab?

the data is unchanged but the index will be rebuilt the next time you open the application (structure+data).
behaviour of string-related features are all different in Unicode mode *if you use any characters other than ASCII letters*.
so existing data can be modified by running legacy code on such characters, after the switchover.

> 2) Will all text data in records (and also indexes) be automatically converted to Unicode?

they are already converted to Unicode.
compatibility mode is effectively a layer on top of the actual data,
that converts to and from Unicode every time you access text.
that's why it's slow and lossy.
switching to Unicode mode means you do away with that layer and work directly with their internal representation.

> 3) How do I convert the existing text data in records (and indexes) to Unicode?

you don't.

Re: Compatibility Mode v12 (How to change to Unicode?)

During conversion of our customers' data from 2003 to v11 in unicode mode, we did some trick to allow 4D convert data to unicode correctly. It only helps if your data contains only one type of non-roman character.

For instance, most of our users use Traditional Chinese (big5) in 2003. Before conversion, we change the regional setting of the server to Tradition Chinese in our case. Then launch the data in the server with new structure on v11. After the
conversion, quit the server and change the regional setting back to English. Launch the server again, all data in Traditional Chinese could be veiwed in new version. However, data in other non-roman character sets couldn't be viewed correctly and
requires manual update (re-enter the field).

YMMV

Alan Chan

4D iNug Technical <[hidden email]> writes:
>3) How do I convert the existing text data in records (and indexes) to Unicode?

Re: Compatibility Mode v12 (How to change to Unicode?)

4D Tech mailing list
there is a way to apply a specific encoding for each table during conversion

ftp://ftp-public.4d.fr/Documents/Products_Documentation/LastVersions/Line_11/VIntl/PDF_Format/4D_v11_Upgrade.pdf

see the description for "multilang.txt"

> 2017/05/23 19:42、Alan Chan via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> のメール:
>
> However, data in other non-roman character sets couldn't be viewed correctly and
> requires manual update (re-enter the field).

Re: Compatibility Mode v12 (How to change to Unicode?)

4D Tech mailing list
Hi Miyako San,

We know about multilang.txt but it didn't help in our cases. Languages were not tied to specific tables or fields. Instead, some users entered Simplied Chinese although they're advised to use Traditional Chinese or English in same field such as
addresses, description or remarks.