Connecting to a 4D Server via ODBC

Dave Nasralla
Hey All,

We are attempting to streamline our shipping area. After a visit from
the local FED EX rep, it looks like the easiest thing is to have the
computer with the FEDEX manger pull data (name and addresses) from our
4D system via ODBC and then push the tracking data back.

If I understand the architecture correctly:
 - the 4D ODBC Client gets installed on the FEDEX manager computer (32
or 64 bit) and then I setup a dsn pointing to the 4D Server on the SQL
Port (all on the FEDEX computer)
 - then I must purchase an SQL Server license for my 4D Server so the
ODBC client can connect
 - no license for ODBC is needed for the FEDEX Manager

Am I getting this correct?

TIA,

dave

--
David Nasralla
Clean Air Engineering

Re: Connecting to a 4D Server via ODBC

Jeffrey Kain
Yep - we do the same thing here with our FedEx shipping computers.

We're probably going to replace the FedEx machines with our own code written in 4D (it can be done), but that's a significant project.

> On Oct 26, 2016, at 12:01 AM, Dave Nasralla <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Am I getting this correct?

Re: Connecting to a 4D Server via ODBC

KirkBrooks
As an aside to this thread - I'm at the Intuit Connect conference in San
Jose. Yesterday the addin QB app (they have an app store) that won their
$100k Showdown Prize is called "Shared Refund". What it does is coordinate
with QBO and your shipping companies like FedEx, UPS etc. Shippers will
refund the fee for delivering a package if they miss their delivery window
BUT you have document the event and submit a summary of all such events at
the end of the month. This can run from 1 - 3% of shipping fees monthly
which can get to be a noticeable amount. But it's a PITA and few companies
go through the trouble of auditing the delivery logs to capture these
events.

This add-in does that work for them - crawls the delivery logs, identifies
valid refunds, prepares the documentation and submits it. The refund comes
back to the customer. They charge a percentage of the refund so no refund =
no payment. For the customers it's like found money they wouldn't have
picked up any other way.

This would be a great feature to build into any db that's handling this
sort of data.