Damaged structure file

Paul Chernoff
4D v13.3, Mac.

This morning I noticed that a databases application (structure) file was damaged. I first noticed that when I opened the structure itself there was a long delay to scroll through the structure window or take any action. Everything else in the design environment seems OK.

I ran maintenance and it found damage to the application file. I ran repair, it said the damage was fixed, and when I verified the application it passed. But I still have the extreme slowness with the structure window.

Normally I would just get an older version of the db from backup. Except my backup system just died over the weekend. I can't even get Friday's backup because I cannot access the backup tape.

Any suggestions on what I can do with the .db file?

Paul Chernoff
Director of Information Technology
Washingtonian Media
202.862.3504

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Damaged structure file

Charles Miller
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM, Paul Chernoff <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> This morning I noticed that a databases application (structure) file was
> damaged. I first noticed that when I opened the structure itself there was
> a long delay to scroll through the structure window or take any action.
> Everything else in the design environment seems OK.
>
> I ran maintenance and it found damage to the application file. I ran
> repair, it said the damage was fixed, and when I verified the application
> it passed. But I still have the extreme slowness with the structure window.
>
> Normally I would just get an older version of the db from backup. Except
> my backup system just died over the weekend. I can't even get Friday's
> backup because I cannot access the backup tape.
>
> Any suggestions on what I can do with the .db file?

Did you try compacting it

Last resort move everything to a new structure. What a pain

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Sever connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Damaged structure file

Paul58
Do you have a Windows version you could try this on?  A real shot in the
dark. Compacting, rebuilding on Windows and then bring the structure back
to Mac.

Paul

>Did you try compacting it
>
>Last resort move everything to a new structure. What a pain

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Damaged structure file

Paul Chernoff
Compacting the structure fixed the problem with the structure. I did try compacting before but that was before I did a repair. Since the earlier compacting didn't fix the probelm I didn't use that compacted structure.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Paul Chernoff
Director of Information Technology
Washingtonian Media
202.862.3504

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Damaged structure file

Jeffrey Kain
I usually do a repair first, then go into the structure and delete all the orphan methods and forms that pop up in the explorer (and empty the trash), then a compact, and then a verify just to make sure. :)

Jeff

Jeffrey Kain
Health Diagnostic Laboratories, Inc.