Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Hi All,

I have a large Oracle database from which I need to regularly extract specific data using a 4D application.  Is there a preferred way to connect the two for data mining?  ODBC, or ???  Anyone doing this with success and willing to share the connection architecture?  Many thanks in advance...

Kirk

Re: Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

4D Tech mailing list
how abouts
<https://github.com/miyako/4d-plugin-4d-for-oracle/blob/master/4D%20for%20ORACLE/include/oci.h>

Grüße/regards
Ortwin Zillgen

Re: Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

Hi Kirk,

> I have a large Oracle database from which I need to regularly extract specific data using a 4D application.  Is there a preferred way to connect the two for data mining?  ODBC, or ???  Anyone doing this with success and willing to share the connection architecture?  Many thanks in advance...

I will say it will depend..

It depends where you want to implement your business logic (Oracle side or 4D side),
it depends on the volume of data you need to process (extracting a large amount of data to summarize it into a small amount of data would be faster if you do it on Oracle server side, no point moving data around in this case)
etc...

To achieve the best performance/speed/flexibility, I would say 4D for OCI is the way to go (but I may be biased ;-)).
It requires Oracle client libraries being installed on the client side and the 4D for OCI plugin.
So if deploying the Oracle client libraries is not an issue for you this is the way to go.

OCI is a C API from Oracle (Oracle Call Interface).
4D for OCI will give you access to the Oracle OCI API (and it will take care of memory management and type conversion for you).
4D for OCI coding can be a bit challenging at times. There is plenty of documentation for the Oracle OCI api (with C code samples) and then you have to apply that information to 4D for OCI.

The Oracle client libraries are available on Mac OS X and Windows.

<shamelessPlug>
We do sell a component to make 4D for OCI coding very simple and optimized (as well as provide retrocompatibility with the old "4D for Oracle").
Contact us privately if you are interested or if you need help/coaching/training on 4D for OCI.
</shamelessPlug>

For ODBC, you will also need to deploy Oracle client libraries AFAIK.

HTH
Bruno

Re: Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Thank you Bruno,

I will contact you direct for more information about your component.  Is it compatible with v16.R2 Windows Server/Client?

Kirk

> On Jun 1, 2017, at 10:24 PM, Bruno LEGAY via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Kirk,
>
>> I have a large Oracle database from which I need to regularly extract specific data using a 4D application.  Is there a preferred way to connect the two for data mining?  ODBC, or ???  Anyone doing this with success and willing to share the connection architecture?  Many thanks in advance...
>
> I will say it will depend..
>
> It depends where you want to implement your business logic (Oracle side or 4D side),
> it depends on the volume of data you need to process (extracting a large amount of data to summarize it into a small amount of data would be faster if you do it on Oracle server side, no point moving data around in this case)
> etc...
>
> To achieve the best performance/speed/flexibility, I would say 4D for OCI is the way to go (but I may be biased ;-)).
> It requires Oracle client libraries being installed on the client side and the 4D for OCI plugin.
> So if deploying the Oracle client libraries is not an issue for you this is the way to go.
>
> OCI is a C API from Oracle (Oracle Call Interface).
> 4D for OCI will give you access to the Oracle OCI API (and it will take care of memory management and type conversion for you).
> 4D for OCI coding can be a bit challenging at times. There is plenty of documentation for the Oracle OCI api (with C code samples) and then you have to apply that information to 4D for OCI.
>
> The Oracle client libraries are available on Mac OS X and Windows.
>
> <shamelessPlug>
> We do sell a component to make 4D for OCI coding very simple and optimized (as well as provide retrocompatibility with the old "4D for Oracle").
> Contact us privately if you are interested or if you need help/coaching/training on 4D for OCI.
> </shamelessPlug>
>
> For ODBC, you will also need to deploy Oracle client libraries AFAIK.
>

> HTH
> Bruno

Re: Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

Mac or Windows? If you're on a Mac, check out the Actual ODBC drivers:
http://www.actualtech.com/products.php

Pat

On 1 June 2017 at 18:47, rooftop99--- via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a large Oracle database from which I need to regularly extract
> specific data using a 4D application.  Is there a preferred way to connect
> the two for data mining?  ODBC, or ???  Anyone doing this with success and
> willing to share the connection architecture?  Many thanks in advance...
>
> Kirk

CatBase - The Database Publishing Solution
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

Rooftop99 says:

>I have a large Oracle database from which I need to regularly extract specific data using a 4D

>application.  Is there a preferred way to connect the two for data mining?  ODBC, or ???

>Anyone doing this with success and willing to share the connection architecture?

I only have experience connecting 4D with SQL Server, not Oracle, so there may be some platform specific considerations, but I'm thinking you could simply use 4D native SQL commands to connect and call a stored procedure in Oracle. You would need to set up DSN on the client side for the Oracle connection.. The extracted data would populate arrays in 4D.

If the queries are ad hoc and need to change, you might better off with a Oracle or SQL specific plugin, but if you aren't doing Inserts or Updates in Oracle I think native 4D SQL should meet your needs.

HTH,

Tom Benedict
Optum

Re: Data mining from Oracle Application using 4D

4D Tech mailing list
We are using native 4d sql and odbc works like a charm. On Mac we are using actual technologies oracle driver.

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.