Database Settings Publishing Info IP Address - Tip

Database Settings Publishing Info IP Address - Tip

4D Tech mailing list
Here's another tip for the archives...

We have one client running a web server db under 4D v14.4. We're working
at moving this to v16 in the very near future, but wanted to do a few
tidy up's in v14 before we started the update process.

Things went badly and suddenly no one could connect to the web server.  :-(

After many hours of immense frustration trying to solve this we found
that the following setting

       Database Settings >  Web >  Configuration >  Publishing Info >
IP Address:

in the current source was now blank (i.e. the popup had nothing selected).

In the source on which the previous build was based, the setting was :
    IP Address: All

Changes the setting to ALL in the current soutrce, and voila, it works
perfectly as advertised!

We suspect that a minor upgrade from v14.4 to v14.5 between releasing
these two versions of the app may have reset that setting somehow.

Anyway, the story is, if you have a web server app that stops working
for some reason, and EVEN IF your browser will still connect to the
server via a local loop-back (e.g. 127.0.0.1) MAKE sure that the Web
Database Settings are as they should be.

Hope this saves someone else a few hours....

Cheers,
Allan Udy

Golden Micro Solutions Ltd, Blenheim, New Zealand
http://www.golden.co.nz<http://www.golden.co.nz>

Re: Database Settings Publishing Info IP Address - Tip

4D Tech mailing list
I just upgraded from 15.4 to 15.5 and now all of a sudden my Web Client
doesn't keep any of the web settings (at least) set on the server machine.
Any time I upgrade the server structure, it resets my web settings on my
web client back to their default values. HELP! Am I doing something wrong?
When I build my application, I copy all three files it generates and
replace the older versions. I did clear my cached folder, so that it would
regenerate it on the client. Still no love.

Doug

On Mon, Jul 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM, Allan Udy via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> Here's another tip for the archives...
>
> We have one client running a web server db under 4D v14.4. We're working
> at moving this to v16 in the very near future, but wanted to do a few tidy
> up's in v14 before we started the update process.
>
> Things went badly and suddenly no one could connect to the web server.  :-(
>
> After many hours of immense frustration trying to solve this we found that
> the following setting
>
>       Database Settings >  Web >  Configuration >  Publishing Info >  IP
> Address:
>
> in the current source was now blank (i.e. the popup had nothing selected).
>
> In the source on which the previous build was based, the setting was :
>   IP Address: All
>
> Changes the setting to ALL in the current soutrce, and voila, it works
> perfectly as advertised!
>
> We suspect that a minor upgrade from v14.4 to v14.5 between releasing
> these two versions of the app may have reset that setting somehow.
>
> Anyway, the story is, if you have a web server app that stops working for
> some reason, and EVEN IF your browser will still connect to the server via
> a local loop-back (e.g. 127.0.0.1) MAKE sure that the Web Database Settings
> are as they should be.
>
> Hope this saves someone else a few hours....
>
> Cheers,
> Allan Udy
>
> Golden Micro Solutions Ltd, Blenheim, New Zealand
> http://www.golden.co.nz<http://www.golden.co.nz>

Re: Database Settings Publishing Info IP Address - Tip

Do you have user settings enabled or are you using the settings embedded into the structure?

If you are using the settings embedded in the structure then you are probably overwriting them each time you deploy a new structure.

If you are using user settings then maybe try resetting/resaving them when v15.5 is running? I am not sure if this is needed but the xml commands in v15.5 are now case-sensisitve so maybe it's having trouble reading the old xml file (just a guess).

-Tim