Debugger window corruption

4D Tech mailing list
Hi All,

Mac OS 12.6 4D 15.2 (have to stay with this version until client upgrades to v16/v17).

In the last few days I’ve experienced a strange Debugger issue (corruption) that I cannot seem to fix. I think it happened after a crash. What is happening is that the top parts of the debugger screen, like the toolbar, are hidden above the top of the debugger screen. It’s like what used to happen when you tabbed to a variable offscreen and you couldn’t get back to the top of the screen but weirder.

On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help. Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a near impossibility!

I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:

Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t help.

I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no help,

Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?

I think this is a first in over 30 years!

Thanks,
John…

RE: Debugger window corruption

4D Tech mailing list
> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons.

There was a debugger reset method that was posted a few years ago. I don't have the one for v15 but if you search you might be able to find it. I think it was written by Miyako.

This is the v17 version:

C_TEXT($tPath)

$tPath:=Get 4D folder(Active 4D Folder)+\
"4D Window Bounds v"+Substring(Application version;1;2)+Folder separator+\
"runtime"+Folder separator+\
"[projectForm]"+Folder separator+\
"4ddebugger.json"

If (Test path name($tPath)=Is a document)
        ON ERR CALL("Blank")
        DELETE DOCUMENT($tPath)
        ON ERR CALL("")
End if

Neil

Privacy Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please delete this email from your system and notify the sender immediately by replying to this email.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

The Alternative Investments division of UMB Fund Services provides a full range of services to hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.  Any tax advice in this communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by a client or any other person or entity for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.

Re: Debugger window corruption

You should try at least 15.6.

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

> On Mar 1, 2019, at 1:08 PM, John J Foster via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Mac OS 12.6 4D 15.2 (have to stay with this version until client upgrades to v16/v17).
>
> In the last few days I’ve experienced a strange Debugger issue (corruption) that I cannot seem to fix. I think it happened after a crash. What is happening is that the top parts of the debugger screen, like the toolbar, are hidden above the top of the debugger screen. It’s like what used to happen when you tabbed to a variable offscreen and you couldn’t get back to the top of the screen but weirder.
>
> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help. Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a near impossibility!
>
> I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:
>
> Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t help.
>
> I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no help,
>
> Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?
>
> I think this is a first in over 30 years!
>
> Thanks,
> John…

Re: Debugger window corruption

John:

I saw this documented only recently so I thought it was for V17 but I just
checked it in 15.4 - Win server, Mac client.

Hold down the Shift key to reset the boundaries for the editor windows in
design mode.

In the case of the debugger, create an empty method (I have one called
“aTestDoug”) and type in “Trace”. Hold down the Shift key and click the
green “go” button to run the method. 4D will execute the Trace command and
will open the debugger in the default position.

For the Explorer, make sure that the Explorer is closed, hold down the
Shift key, and open the Explorer with the mouse.

Before I learned the Shift key trick, I had to resort to throwing out the
config file. From my “4D Text File Locations” document:

C:\Users\Doug\Application Data\4D\4D Window Bounds
v15\development\[projectForm]
Change "explo_preview"
Refer to Explorer.json file in 4D/14.5 (OS X)

Debugger Window Settings (and others)
c:\Users\dvonroeder\Application Data\4D\4D Preferences v13.4DPreferences

\Volumes\C\Users\Doug\Application Data\4D Server\4D Window Bounds v14
\Volumes\C\Users\Doug\Application Data\4D Server\4D Window Bounds v15
C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Roaming\4D\4D Window Bounds v15
C:\Users\Doug\AppData\Roaming\4D Server\4D Window Bounds v14

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:08 AM John J Foster via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Mac OS 12.6 4D 15.2 (have to stay with this version until client upgrades
> to v16/v17).
>
> In the last few days I’ve experienced a strange Debugger issue
> (corruption) that I cannot seem to fix. I think it happened after a crash.
> What is happening is that the top parts of the debugger screen, like the
> toolbar, are hidden above the top of the debugger screen. It’s like what
> used to happen when you tabbed to a variable offscreen and you couldn’t get
> back to the top of the screen but weirder.
>
> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I
> do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort
> into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help.
> Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a
> near impossibility!
>
> I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:
>
> Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t
> help.
>
> I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no
> help,
>
> Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?
>
> I think this is a first in over 30 years!
>
> Thanks,
> John…

Ref: Debugger window corruption

Hi Neil,

I searched and found the v15 method you mentioned. It was authored by Stephen J. Orth. I created the method and ran it but it didn’t work for me. Not sure why.

Although I’ll respond in another email to what did work...

Appreciate,
John…

>> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons.
>
> There was a debugger reset method that was posted a few years ago. I don't have the one for v15 but if you search you might be able to find it. I think it was written by Miyako.
>
> This is the v17 version:
>
> C_TEXT($tPath)
>
> $tPath:=Get 4D folder(Active 4D Folder)+\
> "4D Window Bounds v"+Substring(Application version;1;2)+Folder separator+\
> "runtime"+Folder separator+\
> "[projectForm]"+Folder separator+\
> "4ddebugger.json"
>
> If (Test path name($tPath)=Is a document)
> ON ERR CALL("Blank")
> DELETE DOCUMENT($tPath)
> ON ERR CALL("")
> End if
>

> Neil

> Privacy Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please delete this email from your system and notify the sender immediately by replying to this email.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
>
> The Alternative Investments division of UMB Fund Services provides a full range of services to hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.  Any tax advice in this communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by a client or any other person or entity for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.

Fwd: Debugger window corruption

Hi Doug,

Thanks!

Just holding the Shift key down and run (click the green button) from any method appears to have worked.

Yeah!!!

Appreciate,
John…

> [...]
>
> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help. Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a near impossibility!
>
> I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:
>
> Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t help.
>
> I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no help,
>
> Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?
>
> I think this is a first in over 30 years!
>
> Thanks,
> John…

> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html <http://lists.4d.com/archives.html>
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

John,

Which version of my method are you running?  Is it the one from 2015 that works for V13 -> V16?

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

I searched and found the v15 method you mentioned. It was authored by Stephen J. Orth. I created the method and ran it but it didn’t work for me. Not sure why.

Although I’ll respond in another email to what did work...

Appreciate,
John…

>> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons.
>
> There was a debugger reset method that was posted a few years ago. I don't have the one for v15 but if you search you might be able to find it. I think it was written by Miyako.
>
> This is the v17 version:
>
> C_TEXT($tPath)
>
> $tPath:=Get 4D folder(Active 4D Folder)+\ "4D Window Bounds
> v"+Substring(Application version;1;2)+Folder separator+\
> "runtime"+Folder separator+\ "[projectForm]"+Folder separator+\
> "4ddebugger.json"
>
> If (Test path name($tPath)=Is a document)
> ON ERR CALL("Blank")
> DELETE DOCUMENT($tPath)
> ON ERR CALL("")
> End if
>

> Neil

> Privacy Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please delete this email from your system and notify the sender immediately by replying to this email.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
>
> The Alternative Investments division of UMB Fund Services provides a full range of services to hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.  Any tax advice in this communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by a client or any other person or entity for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.

Re: Debugger window corruption

John:

Happy to pass that along.

I just checked the kb:

https://kb.4d.com/assetid=78161

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 10:58 AM John J Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> used to happen when you tabbed to a variable offscreen and you couldn’t get
>> back to the top of the screen but weirder.
>>
>> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I
>> do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort
>> into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help.
>> Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a
>> near impossibility!
>>
>> I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:
>>
>> Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t
>> help.
>>
>> I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no
>> help,
>>
>> Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?
>>
>> I think this is a first in over 30 years!

Hey Doug,

I thought there’d be an KB step but couldn’t;t find it. I guess I used “Debugger issue” and “Debugger corruption” and I should’ve just used “Debugger”.

Anyway, it’s all good and logged for future reference if needed again.

Appreciate,
John…

> [...]
>>
>> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help. Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a near impossibility!
>>
>> I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:
>>
>> Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t help.
>>
>> I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no help,
>>
>> Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?
>>
>> I think this is a first in over 30 years!
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John…

>> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html <http://lists.4d.com/archives.html>
>> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Hi Steve,

I think so. The core structural fragment of the code is:

Case of
: ($version="13@“)
        …
Else
        //4D V14 & V15
End case

John…

> On Mar 1, 2019, at 10:59 AM, Stephen J. Orth <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> Which version of my method are you running?  Is it the one from 2015 that works for V13 -> V16?
>

> Steve

>  Stephen J. Orth
>  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
>  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
>  Sun Prairie, WI 53590
>
>  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

Re: Ref: Debugger window corruption

John:

Understood.

The kb is handy but, for searching, try this in Google

site:https://kb.4d.com debugger
<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:https://kb.4d.com+debugger&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

The full text search in the doc center is handy (upper right hand corner)
but this works pretty well:

site:https://doc.4d.com/4Dv17R3 query by formula
<https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=site:https://doc.4d.com/4Dv17R3+query+by+formula&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8>

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:12 AM John J Foster <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>> used to happen when you tabbed to a variable offscreen and you couldn’t get
>>> back to the top of the screen but weirder.
>>>
>>> On the left side pane the Variables is the top and anything above that I
>>> do not have access to. I cannot get to the debugger buttons. I cannot abort
>>> into a method, etc. Expanding the window to full screen doesn’t help.
>>> Moving various splitters doesn’t help. Needless to say it makes debugging a
>>> near impossibility!
>>>
>>> I have tried throwing away the application preference folder:
>>>
>>> Library->Application Support -> 4D ... have it recreated but that didn’t
>>> help.
>>>
>>> I have even downloaded and installed a fresh copy of 4D 15.2. Still no
>>> help,
>>>
>>> Is there another set of files that controls the debugger screen display?
>>>
>>> I think this is a first in over 30 years!

A whole world of info to the “trained” eyes!

Appreciate,
John…

Happy to help.
--