Error -10509 - Clues?

David Adams-4
I've started getting an error -10509 'database can't be opened error'
from a simple test component. (Really simple.) What I mean is, the
host database can't be opened. Sometimes it crashes MSC when I try to
open the host database, sometimes it opens and scans without problem.
Other components are not causing the host any trouble. The source of
the problem component scans clean in MSC.
Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

David Adams-4
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 12:24 PM, David Adams<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've started getting an error -10509 'database can't be opened error'
> from a simple test component. (Really simple.) What I mean is, the
> host database can't be opened. Sometimes it crashes MSC when I try to
> open the host database, sometimes it opens and scans without problem.
> Other components are not causing the host any trouble. The source of
> the problem component scans clean in MSC.

P.S. The documentation explains that the -10509 'database can't be
opened' error means that the database can't be opened. ;-)
Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Mark Schaake 4D
Hi David,

I know of two scenarios that can cause this error:

1. Are you using any 3rd party plugins? If so, try removing them and see if you can launch the database. I've seen this before with a bad plugin.

2. Scenario:
Host database has two components: A and B.
A "assumes" B's presence and makes calls to shared methods in B.
A is compiled, having B as a component.
B is opened, and a shared method used by A is renamed.
B is compiled.
Host database tries to launch, but since A is set to use a method in B but does not have the correct method name, the host database fails to launch and reports error -10509.

I have around 6 components I've built that all rely on a core Utilities component. I've seen this error when I make a change to the Utilities component and forget to re-compile those that are dependent on Utilities.

Hope this helps,

Mark

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Lisa Pollard

On 26 Jul 2009, at 06:04, Mark Schaake2 wrote:

> I know of two scenarios that can cause this error:
>
> 1. Are you using any 3rd party plugins? If so, try removing them and
> see if
> you can launch the database. I've seen this before with a bad plugin.
>
> 2. Scenario:
> Host database has two components: A and B.
> A "assumes" B's presence and makes calls to shared methods in B.
> A is compiled, having B as a component.
> B is opened, and a shared method used by A is renamed.
> B is compiled.
> Host database tries to launch, but since A is set to use a method in
> B but
> does not have the correct method name, the host database fails to
> launch and
> reports error -10509.
>
> I have around 6 components I've built that all rely on a core
> Utilities
> component. I've seen this error when I make a change to the Utilities
> component and forget to re-compile those that are dependent on
> Utilities.

I have been having this problem too, but mine is a little different.
I can connect happily by using my local address 192.168.1.whatever and
have no problems (I am connecting securely using the ^ in front of the
database name).
When I try to connect from outside our local network
(80.166.70.whatever) I then get a -10509 error.
I can see my connection in the Users page of the Server window, so no,
it's not a firewall issue.

This is copied from the Error dialog:

Error code: -10509
Can't open database "ABTS.02.001.4DB".
component: '4DRT'
task 7, name: 'Application process'

1024 - Cannot open structure of database {BaseName}
1211 - Cannot create connection
4 - <<Localizator is not available.>>

I'm running 4D Server 11.4 on Mac OS 10.5.4
Connecting with 4D Client on Mac OS 10.5.7

cheers
Lisa

http://www.anotherdimension.co.uk

On 29 Jul 2009, at 13:09, Lisa Pollard wrote:

> I can connect happily by using my local address 192.168.1.whatever
> and have no problems (I am connecting securely using the ^ in front
> of the database name).
> When I try to connect from outside our local network
> (80.166.70.whatever) I then get a -10509 error.

Further to my earlier post:
I was trying to connect on Client port 19821, but when I changed it
back to 19813 I can connect both via the local address and remote
address, both securely and un-securely.
Sort of smells like a firewall issue, but having re-checked all my
settings I am still bemused! And I could see my connection in the
server window before I got the error...

On 29 Jul 2009, at 13:19, Lisa Pollard wrote:

> On 29 Jul 2009, at 13:09, Lisa Pollard wrote:
>
>> I can connect happily by using my local address 192.168.1.whatever
>> and have no problems (I am connecting securely using the ^ in front
>> of the database name).
>> When I try to connect from outside our local network
>> (80.166.70.whatever) I then get a -10509 error.
>

> Further to my earlier post:
> I was trying to connect on Client port 19821, but when I changed it
> back to 19813 I can connect both via the local address and remote
> address, both securely and un-securely.
> Sort of smells like a firewall issue, but having re-checked all my
> settings I am still bemused! And I could see my connection in the
> server window before I got the error...

OK, I have it now.
When I open 4D Server it opens the Client port (19813 or 19821 in this
case) and then opens a second port which is the Client port +1 (19814
or 19822 in this case). This is not the SQL server or the Web Server
ports, they are set to something else and open with no problems.

My error occurred because my firewall was already preset to allow
connections to 19814 so I had no problem connecting with 19813 as a
client port., but I didn't have 19822 open. Once I reset my firewall
to allow connections on this port all was fine.

I'm not sure why this port is opening. Is it a v11 thing? or a plug-in.
The plug-ins I'm using are 4D Write, 4D View, 4D Pack, 4D IC and QPix.
I thought QPix was the culprit but after removing it and then
restarting, 4D Server still opened the extra port. So it must be a 4D
plug-in. Is this documented anywhere?

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

cheers
Lisa

http://www.anotherdimension.co.uk

Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Koen Van Hooreweghe
Lisa,

 From the 4D Server Reference:

=======================================

4D Server and port numbers

4D Server uses three TCP ports for communications between internal
servers and clients:

• SQL Server: 19812 by default (can be modified via the "SQL/
Configuration" page of the Preferences).

• Application Server: 19813 by default (can be modified via the
"Client-Server/Configuration" page of the Preferences, see above).

• DB4D Server (database server): 19814 by default . This port number
cannot be modified directly but it always consists of the application
server port number + 1.

When a 4D client connects to 4D Server, it uses the TCP port of the
application server (19813 or the port indicated after the colon ':'
in the IP address shown in the connection dialog box). Connection to
other servers via their respective ports is then automatic; it is no
longer necessary to specify them.

Note that in the case of access via a router or a firewall, the three
TCP ports must be opened explicitly.

=======================================

HTH
Koen

Op 29-jul-09, om 15:27 heeft Lisa Pollard het volgende geschreven:

> When I open 4D Server it opens the Client port (19813 or 19821 in
> this case) and then opens a second port which is the Client port +1
> (19814 or 19822 in this case). This is not the SQL server or the
> Web Server ports, they are set to something else and open with no
> problems.

--------------------
Compass bvba
Koen Van Hooreweghe
Kloosterstraat 65
9910 Knesselare
Belgium

Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Lisa Pollard
Hi Koen,

On 29 Jul 2009, at 14:33, Koen Van Hooreweghe wrote:

> From the 4D Server Reference:
>
> =======================================
>
> 4D Server and port numbers
>
> 4D Server uses three TCP ports for communications between internal
> servers and clients:
>
> • SQL Server: 19812 by default (can be modified via the "SQL/
> Configuration" page of the Preferences).
>
> • Application Server: 19813 by default (can be modified via the
> "Client-Server/Configuration" page of the Preferences, see above).
>
> • DB4D Server (database server): 19814 by default . This port number
> cannot be modified directly but it always consists of the
> application server port number + 1.
>
> When a 4D client connects to 4D Server, it uses the TCP port of the
> application server (19813 or the port indicated after the colon ':'
> in the IP address shown in the connection dialog box). Connection to
> other servers via their respective ports is then automatic; it is no
> longer necessary to specify them.
>
> Note that in the case of access via a router or a firewall, the
> three TCP ports must be opened explicitly.

Many thanks for this. That clears things up nicely. Maybe I should
RTFM for a third time ;-)

cheers
Lisa

http://www.anotherdimension.co.uk

Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Walt Nelson (Manila)-2
Lisa,

I think the Compont error message may be a false error message. Your problem may be the "use encrypted connections" setting.

In 2004, when I try to use the encrypted connection with the carat in front, I see various errors. For example, ODBC connections behave strangely: the connection fails, or it connects and then immediately drops.

Try again with a normal, non-encrypted connection and see if the error message goes away.

HTH,

Walt Nelson - Guam

Lisa Wrote:
I have been having this problem too, but mine is a little different.
I can connect happily by using my local address 192.168.1.whatever and
have no problems (I am connecting securely using the ^ in front of the
database name).

Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Walt Nelson (Manila)-2
Lisa,

Yes, it helps me. I believe that port 19822 may be opened when 4D Server is using encrypted connections.

Walt Nelson - Guam

Lisa Pollard wrote:
OK, I have it now.
When I open 4D Server it opens the Client port (19813 or 19821 in this
case) and then opens a second port which is the Client port +1 (19814
or 19822 in this case). This is not the SQL server or the Web Server
ports, they are set to something else and open with no problems.

Register for 4D Summit 2009 Today
Early Bird Pricing Ends August 28th - http://www.4d.com/summit

4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4D.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4D.com/archives.html

Re: Error -10509 - Clues?

Chris Curnow
David,

Whoa, I just got a whole lot of -10509 errors and came across this
thread.

I'm finding I'm having to learn how to compile all over again with v11
and components.

I've almost come to the conclusion that your components don't call
other component methods directly at all.

That is, each component has nothing in the Components folder and
nothing in the Plugins folder.

I do need to call component A's methods from component B. When I need
to do this I am starting to use EXECUTE METHOD everywhere.

I might eventually find I don't need to do this, but doing it works
for the moment. It is a huge pain having to do this but it seems its
the only way I can get my host database to work compiled.

regards

Chris Curnow