Error Code -10509

Ronnie Teo
Hi,

I would like to seek some feedback regarding an error code in a v11 Windows
application.  This morning, my customer encountered an error when their
users tried to log in. The error code is -10509, further details indicated a
#-50 error.  According to the manual, -10509 refers to a "Can't open
database" error.  Not really useful.

As such, no user could log in to the database.  When I quit 4D server
service and opened the application in single-user mode, the backup dialog
showed.  No problems to data and structure.  Restarted the service and all
users could log in.  Therein lies my questions:

1.  When backup (on 4D server) is in progress, can any client log in to the
database?
2.  If backup stalls, does it cause a -10509 error?
3.  The backup is scheduled on 4D Server, running daily at 0200hours. Why
should a backup stall?  And if it stalls, why does it continue when the
database is launched in single-user mode.

Regards,
Ronnie Teo
Tarawerkz

The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: Error Code -10509

Spencer Hinsdale
On 5/30/10 11:20 PM, "Ronnie Teo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to seek some feedback regarding an error code in a v11 Windows
> application.  This morning, my customer encountered an error when their
> users tried to log in. The error code is -10509, further details indicated a
> #-50 error.  According to the manual, -10509 refers to a "Can't open
> database" error.  Not really useful.

One possible cause is that the DB4D port is blocked.  If the Server is
running on port 19813, port 19814 must also be open (or whatever port is
used for application server + 1).

-spencer

The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: Error Code -10509

Ronnie Teo
Hi Spencer, thanks for the reply.  It seems unlikely that the port is
blocked as the users have always been able to  log in, both before and after
this incident.

Regards,
Ronnie Teo
Tarawerkz

> Subject: Re: Error Code -10509
> Date: Mon, 31 May 2010 07:58:25 -0700
> From: Spencer Hinsdale <[hidden email]>
> To: 4D iNug Technical <[hidden email]>
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would like to seek some feedback regarding an error code in a v11 Windows
>> application.  This morning, my customer encountered an error when their
>> users tried to log in. The error code is -10509, further details indicated a
>> #-50 error.  According to the manual, -10509 refers to a "Can't open
>> database" error.  Not really useful.
>>

> One possible cause is that the DB4D port is blocked.  If the Server is
> running on port 19813, port 19814 must also be open (or whatever port is
> used for application server + 1).
>
> -spencer

The New 4D Partner Program - All the tools you need to be a successful 4D Developer.
Sign up Now:  http://www.4d.com/community/partner/registration.html

Re: Error Code -10509

Mark Schaake 4D
Probably isn't your issue, but...

I've seen this error when trying to launch a database without all Components and Plugins in the appropriate folders. Note: even if you never make a call to a component method in production, if there is a tokenized component method call in your source code somewhere, then the component must be included in production (otherwise you get this error).