Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
I have been developing a 4D v15 client/server application on a Windows 10 computer for years without a problem. I have always been able to connect from 4D to the server, with both server and client running on the same computer. Until today. Now, when I try to connect from 4D to the server, I am getting this error message:

******************
Error code: -10002 (4DRT)
The connection for this process has been disrupted or the connection couldn't be established.
component: '4DRT'
task -1, name: 'Application process'

Error code: 10035 (WI32)
A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.

component: 'WI32'
task -1, name: 'Application process'
******************

I deleted all of the files in the 4D folder, checked my virus protection software for possible blocks, restarted the router and the computer. Ran the network troubleshooter. Still have the problem. I created a brand new database, launched it in 4D Server, get the same error trying to connect to it. When I do these tests I only have one 4D database running on this computer.

David

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
David,

I don't have an solution for you but I would love to know how to stop these issues as they are regular problems facing our OEM Clients.

We have talked to our Clients about port time outs, external scanning software, etc.  We have made adjustments on our side where we can...but we just cannot seem to stop these issues.  What is worse, we really don't have any more suggestions for our Clients as this is only linked to 4D.

Steve

Re: Error connecting to 4D Server

have you changed the default ports that 4D uses?
if so, you need to specify the new/changed port number in the
connection dialog
and you need to change both ports (as I understand)
4D, &  Sql (usually -1 from 4D port)

ex:
123.123.123.123:123456

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:34:10 -0500, David Rose via 4D_Tech wrote:

> I have been developing a 4D v15 client/server application on a
> Windows 10 computer for years without a problem. I have always been
> able to connect from 4D to the server, with both server and client
> running on the same computer. Until today. Now, when I try to connect
> from 4D to the server, I am getting this error message:
>
> ******************
> Error code: -10002 (4DRT)
> The connection for this process has been disrupted or the connection
> couldn't be established.
> component: '4DRT'
> task -1, name: 'Application process'
>
> Error code: 10035 (WI32)
> A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.
>
> component: 'WI32'
> task -1, name: 'Application process'
> ******************
>
> I deleted all of the files in the 4D folder, checked my virus
> protection software for possible blocks, restarted the router and the
> computer. Ran the network troubleshooter. Still have the problem. I
> created a brand new database, launched it in 4D Server, get the same
> error trying to connect to it. When I do these tests I only have one
> 4D database running on this computer.
>
> David

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
Chip,

We don't change the default ports and these messages come up frequently and many of our OEM customers.  We have situations where the client & server are on the same hardware and both these issues happen.

Steve

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

Ports haven't changed. When I got this error, one of the things I tried was
changing the ports, and including the new port number in the connection
dialog, as you mentioned. No luck.

have you changed the default ports that 4D uses?
if so, you need to specify the new/changed port number in the connection
dialog and you need to change both ports (as I understand) 4D, &  Sql
(usually -1 from 4D port)

ex:
123.123.123.123:123456

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:34:10 -0500, David Rose via 4D_Tech wrote:

> I have been developing a 4D v15 client/server application on a Windows
> 10 computer for years without a problem. I have always been able to
> connect from 4D to the server, with both server and client running on
> the same computer. Until today. Now, when I try to connect from 4D to
> the server, I am getting this error message:
>
> ******************
> Error code: -10002 (4DRT)
> The connection for this process has been disrupted or the connection
> couldn't be established.
> component: '4DRT'
> task -1, name: 'Application process'
>
> Error code: 10035 (WI32)
> A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.
>
> component: 'WI32'
> task -1, name: 'Application process'
> ******************
>
> I deleted all of the files in the 4D folder, checked my virus
> protection software for possible blocks, restarted the router and the
> computer. Ran the network troubleshooter. Still have the problem. I
> created a brand new database, launched it in 4D Server, get the same
> error trying to connect to it. When I do these tests I only have one
> 4D database running on this computer.
>
> David

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

One thing has changed: I installed v17 on this computer several days ago,
and did run a database in 4D Server several times. The error that I am
getting occurs in both v15 and v17.

Ports haven't changed. When I got this error, one of the things I tried was
changing the ports, and including the new port number in the connection
dialog, as you mentioned. No luck.

have you changed the default ports that 4D uses?
if so, you need to specify the new/changed port number in the connection
dialog and you need to change both ports (as I understand) 4D, &  Sql
(usually -1 from 4D port)

ex:
123.123.123.123:123456

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:34:10 -0500, David Rose via 4D_Tech wrote:

> I have been developing a 4D v15 client/server application on a Windows
> 10 computer for years without a problem. I have always been able to
> connect from 4D to the server, with both server and client running on
> the same computer. Until today. Now, when I try to connect from 4D to
> the server, I am getting this error message:
>
> ******************
> Error code: -10002 (4DRT)
> The connection for this process has been disrupted or the connection
> couldn't be established.
> component: '4DRT'
> task -1, name: 'Application process'
>
> Error code: 10035 (WI32)
> A non-blocking socket operation could not be completed immediately.
>
> component: 'WI32'
> task -1, name: 'Application process'
> ******************
>
> I deleted all of the files in the 4D folder, checked my virus
> protection software for possible blocks, restarted the router and the
> computer. Ran the network troubleshooter. Still have the problem. I
> created a brand new database, launched it in 4D Server, get the same
> error trying to connect to it. When I do these tests I only have one
> 4D database running on this computer.
>
> David

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
David,

We are using V16 and this is when it started happening.  Never had this issue in V13...

Steve

One thing has changed: I installed v17 on this computer several days ago, and did run a database in 4D Server several times. The error that I am getting occurs in both v15 and v17.

Re: Error connecting to 4D Server

Check the server firewall. We have had issues following recent Microsoft
updates to server software. Sometimes the firewall seems to increase
security, and occasionally web port issues too.

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
Kevin,

I'm not sure about others, but these types of issue have been around (for us) at least 3 years now...so it may be related to "recent" changes, but it's also been happening for a lot longer time.

Best,

Steve

Check the server firewall. We have had issues following recent Microsoft updates to server software. Sometimes the firewall seems to increase security, and occasionally web port issues too.

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
when connecting on local machine, I would use localhost and not IP address

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 2:20 PM, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Kevin,
>
> I'm not sure about others, but these types of issue have been around (for us) at least 3 years now...so it may be related to "recent" changes, but it's also been happening for a lot longer time.
>
> Best,
>

> Steve

I haven't been following this thread closely Steve, but here's something
else to keep an eye on and consider....

We too are having issues with one of our customers (with Windows merged
app server), who has been having relatively frequent client
disconnections. We believe there were TWO different issues at work...

We managed to solve quite a few of those by ensuring the Power Settings
on the Windows server were set to 'High Performance', not 'Balanced' --
you should be able to find info about those settings by searching the
net etc.

The second issue has been much more problematic -- it appears to us,
that in v17 (at least), 4D Server is capable of autonomously setting the
'Reject New Connections' option, without user input.  That is, we've
seen a significant number of client disconnections, where upon
investigation we've seen that the '... New Connections' button on the
Application Server page of the Administration Window has been reading
'Accept New Connections', indicating that the server is NO LONGER
accepting connections.  Every time we then use the server UI to click
this button, the Server application crashes in a most unladylike manner.

Tim Nevels (if I recall correctly), reported to us a couple of months
ago that he'd seen the same issue, once.

We've been working with 4D Australia, and forwarding info to 4D France
to try and find out under what circumstances the internal server engine
will change the text on that button from 'Reject New Connections' to
'Accept New Connections', but so far 4D France appears to be unwilling
to share that info.  I figure it may not necessarily be a bug in 4D, but
if we knew what conditions triggered the behavior we might be able to
solve the problem if it's environmental. That is, somehow the engine is
recognising that there's a condition where there are no new connections
being accepted, and so it changes the text on the button to 'Accept New
Connections, without a user actually pressing that button.

Previously I thought we were going mad, and that there should be no need
for the server engine to be able to autonomously change the text on that
button, other than when a user actually clicks the button, however if
you look at the documentation for v17R4 you'll see that there is a new
REJECT NEW CONNECTIONS command coming.....  maybe someone has been
working on this internal code for a while and has changed something....?

We now ensure, for the time being, that the DBA leaves the Application
Server page of the Administration Window open at all times, so that we
can see if the button text has changed when they report massed client
disconnections.

This is an ongoing nightmare for us.  :-(

Cheers,
Allan Udy

Golden Micro Solutions Ltd, Blenheim, New Zealand
http://www.golden.co.nz<http://www.golden.co.nz>

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
not a merged server expert - at all - BUT
4D server does (or at least did in earlier versions) reject new client connections during a backup.

it is possible that 4D server is doing a backup, changing the setting/disabling connections during backup - then failing (in some manner) to correctly reset to allow connections?

again - maybe - if this is the issue
either someone is trying to connect, an external process (an other server?) is trying to connect, or a deamon is trying to run during the backup and this action is "confusing" 4D server and it is failing to reset to allow connections.

Chip

> We've been working with 4D Australia, and forwarding info to 4D
> France to try and find out under what circumstances the internal
> server engine will change the text on that button from 'Reject New
> Connections' to 'Accept New Connections', but so far 4D France
> appears to be unwilling to share that info.  I figure it may not
> necessarily be a bug in 4D, but if we knew what conditions triggered
> the behavior we might be able to solve the problem if it's
> environmental. That is, somehow the engine is recognising that
> there's a condition where there are no new connections being
> accepted, and so it changes the text on the button to 'Accept New
> Connections, without a user actually pressing that button.
>
> Previously I thought we were going mad, and that there should be no
> need for the server engine to be able to autonomously change the text
> on that button, other than when a user actually clicks the button,
> however if you look at the documentation for v17R4 you'll see that
> there is a new REJECT NEW CONNECTIONS command coming.....  maybe
> someone has been working on this internal code for a while and has
> changed something....?
>
> We now ensure, for the time being, that the DBA leaves the
> Application Server page of the Administration Window open at all
> times, so that we can see if the button text has changed when they
> report massed client disconnections.
------------
Hell is other people
     Jean-Paul Sartre

On Apr 8, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Chip Scheide wrote:

> not a merged server expert - at all - BUT
> 4D server does (or at least did in earlier versions) reject new client connections during a backup.
>
> it is possible that 4D server is doing a backup, changing the setting/disabling connections during backup - then failing (in some manner) to correctly reset to allow connections?
>
> again - maybe - if this is the issue
> either someone is trying to connect, an external process (an other server?) is trying to connect, or a deamon is trying to run during the backup and this action is "confusing" 4D server and it is failing to reset to allow connections.

If a backup is running you can still connect to 4D Server. You just get a message that a maintenance operation is occurring. It is not a total rejection of connections. It is accepting a connection, then sending back a message of the backup running.

This is different from what we are seeing. You never get connected to 4D Server. 4D Client tries for a while and then gives you a runtime error.

So I don’t think this is connected to or related to the backup process.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

On Apr 8, 2019, at 10:24 AM, Allan Udy wrote:

> I haven't been following this thread closely Steve, but here's something
> else to keep an eye on and consider....
>
> We too are having issues with one of our customers (with Windows merged
> app server), who has been having relatively frequent client
> disconnections. We believe there were TWO different issues at work...
> The second issue has been much more problematic -- it appears to us,
> that in v17 (at least), 4D Server is capable of autonomously setting the
> 'Reject New Connections' option, without user input.  That is, we've
> seen a significant number of client disconnections, where upon
> investigation we've seen that the '... New Connections' button on the
> Application Server page of the Administration Window has been reading
> 'Accept New Connections', indicating that the server is NO LONGER
> accepting connections.  Every time we then use the server UI to click
> this button, the Server application crashes in a most unladylike manner.
>
> Tim Nevels (if I recall correctly), reported to us a couple of months
> ago that he'd seen the same issue, once.

I ran into this problem again this morning. And this time it occurred on another server at a different client site. And Allan is right, when you click the “Accept New Connections” button 4D Server hangs and you get the Windows dialog box that 4D Server has stopped responding and you have to kill 4D Server.

> We've been working with 4D Australia, and forwarding info to 4D France
> to try and find out under what circumstances the internal server engine
> will change the text on that button from 'Reject New Connections' to
> 'Accept New Connections', but so far 4D France appears to be unwilling
> to share that info.  I figure it may not necessarily be a bug in 4D, but
> if we knew what conditions triggered the behavior we might be able to
> solve the problem if it's environmental. That is, somehow the engine is
> recognising that there's a condition where there are no new connections
> being accepted, and so it changes the text on the button to 'Accept New
> Connections, without a user actually pressing that button.

I think Allan is right. Something inside 4D Server is flipping the switch to stop accepting new connections and it is updating the 4D Server Administration window UI to show that. But it’s not doing the stop accepting connection part properly. So when you click the button to make it start accepting connections again it expects things to be in a certain state and it is not, so 4D Server hangs and crashes.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
Tim,

What exactly are you seeing on the Clients?  Is this when someone is trying to connect and they cannot?

If so, that is not what we are seeing.  What we get are the multiple errors that started this thread, where already connected clients simply can no longer talk to the server.  Either you get the -10002/3/4 error message, or the one that is happening mostly is the "non-blocking" error.

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

On Apr 8, 2019, at 11:44 AM, Stephen J. Orth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What exactly are you seeing on the Clients?  Is this when someone is trying to connect and they cannot?
>
> If so, that is not what we are seeing.  What we get are the multiple errors that started this thread, where already connected clients simply can no longer talk to the server.  Either you get the -10002/3/4 error message, or the one that is happening mostly is the "non-blocking" error.

Hi Steve,

I started 4D Client to connect to 4D Server, it showed the trying to connect progress window. After waiting a few seconds I realized it was not connecting to 4D Server as fast as it usually does. So I RDP to the 4D Server machine to check out the server and saw the “Accept New Connections” button.

At the time nobody was connected to 4D Server. I was the first person this morning to try and connect.

I have no idea when something happened to 4D Server. This particular server does not always have 4D Client connects. It does mostly web server work and only occasionally do people connect with 4D Client.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

4D Tech mailing list
Tim,

Thanks...appears these are two different issues, best I can tell.

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

On Apr 8, 2019, at 11:44 AM, Stephen J. Orth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What exactly are you seeing on the Clients?  Is this when someone is trying to connect and they cannot?
>
> If so, that is not what we are seeing.  What we get are the multiple errors that started this thread, where already connected clients simply can no longer talk to the server.  Either you get the -10002/3/4 error message, or the one that is happening mostly is the "non-blocking" error.

Hi Steve,

I started 4D Client to connect to 4D Server, it showed the trying to connect progress window. After waiting a few seconds I realized it was not connecting to 4D Server as fast as it usually does. So I RDP to the 4D Server machine to check out the server and saw the “Accept New Connections” button.

At the time nobody was connected to 4D Server. I was the first person this morning to try and connect.

I have no idea when something happened to 4D Server. This particular server does not always have 4D Client connects. It does mostly web server work and only occasionally do people connect with 4D Client.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

Hi there

We first saw many of these symptoms with v16R6 using the new network layer.  Before that the only previous 4D version we'd used for a long time was v13.6 which didn't have the new network layer.

Anyway, using v16R6 with the new network layer, we did get mass disconnections occurring and also seeing the Admin window changing the Accept/Reject by itself.  So after a mass disconnection, new connections couldn't be made.  At least that's what we initially thought.  It turned out that if you waited long enough (several minutes), connections would again be allowed.  The network layer somehow "resetting" itself, maybe.  Don't know.

We also noticed that at the point of these mass disconnections there would usually be an entry in the Windows Application event log.  The log entry had one single "japanese" looking character.

In the end, 4D figured out a possible cause through some diagnostic logs they got from another customer.  The reference for the issue was ACI0098997.  It was fixed in v17 HF4 and obviously also fixed in v17.1.  We had already begun our work to begin moving our client base from v16R6 onto v17, so we expedited this transition more quickly to take advantage of this and other fixes (and improvements) available in v17.

Whilst the issue was fixed by 4D, the actual problem is caused by 4D Server receiving an incomplete set of packets from one or more 4D Remotes.  This could be due to any number of potential network or client machine issues.  In summary, the 4D main thread was being blocked waiting for these incomplete packets to arrive and would eventually time out and resume its process (meanwhile all connected clients had already disconnected).  As I understand it, the change made by 4D was to build in a very short delay waiting on incomplete incoming packet sets.

I don't know whether ACI0098997 got implemented in v16.x as we never used the v16.x strand.

Since implementing v17.1, these new network layer disconnection issues have stopped, AFAIK.

Best regards

Keith White
Synergist Express Ltd, UK.

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

> From: Chip Scheide <[hidden email]>
>
> not a merged server expert - at all - BUT
> 4D server does (or at least did in earlier versions) reject new client connections during a backup.
>
> it is possible that 4D server is doing a backup, changing the setting/disabling connections during backup - then failing (in some manner) to correctly reset to allow connections?

Pretty sure this is NOT the case -- this particular database backs up in
the middle of the night, but most of the 'New Connection' disconnections
occur during the day after users have already logged in earlier in the day.

Stephen J. Orth wrote on 9/04/19 12:11 AM:
> We have worked with our users regarding all kinds of Windows settings,
> including power, network, sleep, etc. however this is the first time
> I’ve heard the recommendation to put the server at “High Performance”.
> Interesting…

Steve, that info is easy to miss....If you check out the following
documentation pdf on the 4D website:

4D v17 R3 System requirements – January 2019

You'll see that they've recently added new information to the
Requirements docs, specifically:

> Windows Energy Saving Settings
>
> The default settings for Windows Server or Windows desktop computers
> are optimized for saving energy. While this is usually the best
> setting for desktop usage, “High performance” servers could produce up
> to twice the speed than “Balanced”.

See also this tech tip from December:

https://kb.4d.com/assetid=78169

Changing to 'High Performance' on our problematic server certainly
solved one issue and had a significant impact on the stability of the
server application.