Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
In honor of National Take-a-Penny/Leave-a-Penny Day, I thought it would be
nice to start a thread to collect people's favorite 4D tricks and keystroke
combos. How this came up is that Wayne Stewart and I recently joined Damon
Carley in giving some presentations in Sydney and New Zealand. One of the
biggest crowed pleasers?

SELECTION TO ARRAY(\
  [Customer]ID;$customer_ids_at;\
  [Customer]LastName;$last_names_at)

The "\" line break/continuation character. It's been out there for about 10
years, but not everyone knows about it. It's great! It's great for array
sort, selection to array/array to selection, and a lot of OB SET kind of
stuff. Great!

Someone said "I'm sure that's in the docs somewhere, but how would you find
it?" Good point, I guess you just look for / ;-) Quite a few people started
sharing their favorite tips and it turns out that there are *tons* of them.

So, here's mine:

Code Line Break Character
You can break a single line of code into multiple lines to simplify reading
and editing using the / character.

So, if you found that useful or if it reminds you of one of your favorites,
please post another one. I'm sure no one knows all of the good ones but
everyone must know a few.

If anyone wants to post links to the docs, that's more than welcome. (Tim &
Miyako, we're looking at you because you've each spoiled us with good links
down the years),

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
@

[t@1]f@1:=seq@n@
can result in:
[table_1]Field_1 := Sequence Number

it is amazing how short a line of code can be, before it is expanded
- then you have to go back and ad the '\' to make it readable.  :)

You can use the @ to shortcut any tokenizable item. Commands, tables, fields, (your) method names. Any line of code as it is typed can include any number of @s, sometimes I have as many @s as other characters.

Chip

> In honor of National Take-a-Penny/Leave-a-Penny Day, I thought it would be
> nice to start a thread to collect people's favorite 4D tricks and keystroke
> combos. How this came up is that Wayne Stewart and I recently joined Damon
> Carley in giving some presentations in Sydney and New Zealand. One of the
> biggest crowed pleasers?
>
> SELECTION TO ARRAY(\
>   [Customer]ID;$customer_ids_at;\
>   [Customer]LastName;$last_names_at)
>
> The "\" line break/continuation character. It's been out there for about 10
> years, but not everyone knows about it. It's great! It's great for array
> sort, selection to array/array to selection, and a lot of OB SET kind of
> stuff. Great!
>
> Someone said "I'm sure that's in the docs somewhere, but how would you find
> it?" Good point, I guess you just look for / ;-) Quite a few people started
> sharing their favorite tips and it turns out that there are *tons* of them.
>
> So, here's mine:

> Code Line Break Character
> You can break a single line of code into multiple lines to simplify reading
> and editing using the / character.
>
> So, if you found that useful or if it reminds you of one of your favorites,
> please post another one. I'm sure no one knows all of the good ones but
> everyone must know a few.
>
> If anyone wants to post links to the docs, that's more than welcome. (Tim &
> Miyako, we're looking at you because you've each spoiled us with good links
> down the years),
------------
Hell is other people
     Jean-Paul Sartre

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
A recent discovery for me was a quick way to open the explorer.

Put the insertion point in the method editor on an empty line and press
Ctrl-k.

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Fri, May 26, 2017 at 6:06 PM, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> @
>
> [t@1]f@1:=seq@n@
> can result in:
> [table_1]Field_1 := Sequence Number
>
> it is amazing how short a line of code can be, before it is expanded
> - then you have to go back and ad the '\' to make it readable.  :)
>
> You can use the @ to shortcut any tokenizable item. Commands, tables,
> fields, (your) method names. Any line of code as it is typed can include
> any number of @s, sometimes I have as many @s as other characters.
>
> Chip
>

> > In honor of National Take-a-Penny/Leave-a-Penny Day, I thought it would
> be
> > nice to start a thread to collect people's favorite 4D tricks and
> keystroke
> > combos. How this came up is that Wayne Stewart and I recently joined
> Damon
> > Carley in giving some presentations in Sydney and New Zealand. One of the
> > biggest crowed pleasers?
> >
> > SELECTION TO ARRAY(\
> >   [Customer]ID;$customer_ids_at;\
> >   [Customer]LastName;$last_names_at)
> >
> > The "\" line break/continuation character. It's been out there for about
> 10
> > years, but not everyone knows about it. It's great! It's great for array
> > sort, selection to array/array to selection, and a lot of OB SET kind of
> > stuff. Great!
> >
> > Someone said "I'm sure that's in the docs somewhere, but how would you
> find
> > it?" Good point, I guess you just look for / ;-) Quite a few people
> started
> > sharing their favorite tips and it turns out that there are *tons* of
> them.
> >
> > So, here's mine:

> > Code Line Break Character
> > You can break a single line of code into multiple lines to simplify
> reading
> > and editing using the / character.
> >
> > So, if you found that useful or if it reminds you of one of your
> favorites,
> > please post another one. I'm sure no one knows all of the good ones but
> > everyone must know a few.
> >
> > If anyone wants to post links to the docs, that's more than welcome.
> (Tim &
> > Miyako, we're looking at you because you've each spoiled us with good
> links
> > down the years),
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> ------------
> Hell is other people
>      Jean-Paul Sartre

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A recent discovery for me was a quick way to open the explorer.
>
> Put the insertion point in the method editor on an empty line and press
> Ctrl-k.

Sounds handy. I just tried Control-Click and Command-Click in OS X using
16.1 and got nothing :( Any idea what the macOS version of this trick might
be?

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
command - K

> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A recent discovery for me was a quick way to open the explorer.
>>
>> Put the insertion point in the method editor on an empty line and press
>> Ctrl-k.
>

> Sounds handy. I just tried Control-Click and Command-Click in OS X using
> 16.1 and got nothing :( Any idea what the macOS version of this trick might
> be?
------------
Hell is other people
     Jean-Paul Sartre

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Doesn't alway work though :(

On Sat, 27 May 2017 at 23:57, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> command - K
>
> > On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 12:08 PM, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> A recent discovery for me was a quick way to open the explorer.
> >>
> >> Put the insertion point in the method editor on an empty line and press
> >> Ctrl-k.
> >

> > Sounds handy. I just tried Control-Click and Command-Click in OS X using
> > 16.1 and got nothing :( Any idea what the macOS version of this trick
> might
> > be?
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> ------------
> Hell is other people
>      Jean-Paul Sartre

Wayne

[image: --]
Wayne Stewart
[image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
<http://about.me/waynestewart>

RE: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Wayne,

Give me an example on where it does not work, as I use this extensively and it's one of the best things 4D has done for programmers.

You can literally use this feature to automatically navigate to the source definition of what you cursor is in.

Best,

Steve

On Sat, 27 May 2017 at 23:57, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Cmd-k works for me on 10.11.6 + 15.4 but not on 16R2.

With 16R2 Cmd-k "show definition" (open the method, open the docs for the
command, etc.) if an item is selected or it the insertion point is in the
"object" but it doesn't open the Explorer on an empty line.

If Cmd-k isn't working, the default Shift-Opt-Cmd-e does the trick.

And then there's the Alt/Opt + hover the cursor trick that works in newer
versions of 4D.

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 8:25 AM, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Wayne,
>
> Give me an example on where it does not work, as I use this extensively
> and it's one of the best things 4D has done for programmers.
>
> You can literally use this feature to automatically navigate to the source
> definition of what you cursor is in.
>
> Best,
>

> Steve

Doug,

Well, V16R2 is still beta and not sure if that is why?

Steve

RE: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Doug,

Obviously I misspoke, V16R3 is still in beta.  Also, as you pointed out, R3 also does not open the Explorer when on a blank line.

I'm curious if anyone has filed a bug report?

Steve

Well, V16R2 is still beta and not sure if that is why?

Steve

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Steve:

R2 works with the default shortcuts keys so 4D might have just stopped
supporting the shortcut that I stumbled across.

I *do* like how it works - if something's selected, Ctrl-k will go to its
definition but if nothing's selected, Ctrl-k opens the Explorer.

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doug,
>
> Obviously I misspoke, V16R3 is still in beta.  Also, as you pointed out,
> R3 also does not open the Explorer when on a blank line.
>
> I'm curious if anyone has filed a bug report?
>

> Steve

Did not put a cancel or accept button on a form and close box event not
handled

- debug
- type cancel in debugger

( in fact you can type a few things in the debugger )
😜

On Sun, 28 May 2017 at 3:05 am, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Steve:
>
> R2 works with the default shortcuts keys so 4D might have just stopped
> supporting the shortcut that I stumbled across.
>
> I *do* like how it works - if something's selected, Ctrl-k will go to its
> definition but if nothing's selected, Ctrl-k opens the Explorer.
>
> --
> Douglas von Roeder
> 949-336-2902
>
> On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 9:27 AM, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> > Obviously I misspoke, V16R3 is still in beta.  Also, as you pointed out,
> > R3 also does not open the Explorer when on a blank line.
> >
> > I'm curious if anyone has filed a bug report?
> >

> > Steve

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"There must be ingenuity as well as intention, strategy as well as
strength. "

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

One of my favorite new techniques is to use an object array as a hidden column in a listbox array. In the old days (before v15 r something or the other) I often had array based list boxes which had a bunch of hidden columns to store data that I wanted to do something with when the row was selected. Now I only need a single hidden column. Each element of the object array can store a wealth of additional information about the row. And it is really easy to extend what is stored in the object in the future. No more adding additional columns and making sure they are updated in all the right places. So nice!

P.S. Having such an array is a bit like what is requested here, but on a listbox row level:

        <http://forums.4d.fr/Post/FR/19051683/2/19476923#19476923>

--
Cannon.Smith
Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.

> On May 26, 2017, at 6:33 PM, David Adams via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> In honor of National Take-a-Penny/Leave-a-Penny Day, I thought it would be
> nice to start a thread to collect people's favorite 4D tricks and keystroke
> combos.

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Cannon,

Nice one on the hidden object array, really smart.

> P.S. Having such an array is a bit like what is requested here, but on a
listbox row level:

>        <http://forums.4d.fr/Post/FR/19051683/2/19476923#19476923>

Okay people, if you haven't given this request of Cannon's a 4 star vote
already, please do so now. Cannon's idea is so good that my brain is
*continuously* trying to rewrite my memories to convince me that it was my
idea. It wasn't. But it's just so good I badly want to steal it.

If you understand what the feature request would give us, then you'll have
no problem giving it 4 stars. If it's not immediately clear to you what
it's about, trust us - you'll love it.

Right now if you want to make a really efficient, reliable and
easy-to-extend form code manager, there's quite a bit of infrastructure to
put in place. That means you need to understand what you need to build in
advance and then have to put the time into doing so. With Cannon's feature
in place, the price of admission to really excellent form code in 4D drops
by, I don't know, a factor of 10. Or, to make it look more impressive, it
makes coding forms take 9.0374% of the effort that it does today. (You
*know* it must be true when a number goes out to four decimal places.)

Cannon's idea is super simple: Have 4D maintain a little C_OBJECT to the
form itself and every object on the form. Use the object name as the way to
get at the C_OBJECT. Use it when you want, ignore it when you don't.
[Important: 4D should allow these dictionaries to be addressed before
objects have run their On Load scripts.]

I was so proud when I thought this up ;-)  I'm doing it again!

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kleptonesia

As my ancestors said, "vote early, vote often."

 Seriously, it's the best feature request of the year. Better than the 31
character limit one, as important a that is.

On Sun, May 28, 2017 at 11:08 AM, Cannon Smith via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of my favorite new techniques is to use an object array as a hidden
> column in a listbox array. In the old days (before v15 r something or the
> other) I often had array based list boxes which had a bunch of hidden
> columns to store data that I wanted to do something with when the row was
> selected. Now I only need a single hidden column. Each element of the
> object array can store a wealth of additional information about the row.
> And it is really easy to extend what is stored in the object in the future.
> No more adding additional columns and making sure they are updated in all
> the right places. So nice!
>
> P.S. Having such an array is a bit like what is requested here, but on a
> listbox row level:
>
>         <http://forums.4d.fr/Post/FR/19051683/2/19476923#19476923>
>
> --
> Cannon.Smith
> Synergy Farm Solutions Inc.
> Hill Spring, AB Canada
> 403-626-3236
> <[hidden email]>
> <www.synergyfarmsolutions.com>
>

> > On May 26, 2017, at 6:33 PM, David Adams via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > In honor of National Take-a-Penny/Leave-a-Penny Day, I thought it would
> be
> > nice to start a thread to collect people's favorite 4D tricks and
> keystroke
> > combos.

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

4D Tech mailing list
Another one I like, this time a new(ish) command:

Current process name
http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16/4D/16.1/Current-process-name.301-3375214.en.html

...not that you'll need the docs for this one

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

favourite keystroke: cmd+B; very often parent of cmd+C.

Bookmarks in editor: I know it exists, always forget the shortcuts, think I should make an effort…

In desperate need of cmde+click on fold/unfold arrows (collapse/expand current level), came with v11 and gone with v12.

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

should unless you have redefined it (which I have)

> Doesn't alway work though :(
>
> On Sat, 27 May 2017 at 23:57, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> command - K

>>> Sounds handy. I just tried Control-Click and Command-Click in OS X using
>>> 16.1 and got nothing :( Any idea what the macOS version of this trick
>> might
>>> be?
>>> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
>>> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
>>> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
>> ------------
>> Hell is other people
>>      Jean-Paul Sartre
>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
------------
Hell is other people
     Jean-Paul Sartre

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

Not strictly 4D...

on either platform
if you can not get a key stroke to do .. something..
find a keystroke macro program, Keyboard Maestro for example.

This can automate (read : type a single key combination) just about anything you can want.

Also - on Mac, not sure about windows, WindowMizer.
it allows you to minimize windows IN PLACE (like the old mac OS 9).
Basically it 'rolls up' the window into the title bar leaving the title bar in place.

No more chasing into the dock/task bar to retrieve a minimized window!!
If you combine with KeyboardMaestro you can setup a key combination to minimize 1 or all windows into their title bars.

> favourite keystroke: cmd+B; very often parent of cmd+C.
>
> Bookmarks in editor: I know it exists, always forget the shortcuts,
> think I should make an effort…
>
> In desperate need of cmde+click on fold/unfold arrows
> (collapse/expand current level), came with v11 and gone with v12.
------------
Hell is other people
     Jean-Paul Sartre

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

Cannon,
Yes! Big plus 1 on this.

I discovered it last year. It's really a huge boon to using array based
listboxes especially if you've also developed a schema for representing the
data objects the listbox displays. Like you say in the past if I wanted to
allow a user to do data entry that was going to involve more data each of
those had to be in a separate array. And if I wanted to let the user
configure which columns of data they wanted to see it just got more
complicated.

Now all the data are in the object array, I can easily allow the user to
choose the fields they want to display (adding or removing from the
listbox) and building the calculations is standardized since there is one,
well defined object to refer to.

As a final feature any changes can be held in the object array until the
user saves or commits them. Useful in some situations.

On Sat, May 27, 2017 at 7:08 PM, Cannon Smith via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> One of my favorite new techniques is to use an object array as a hidden
> column in a listbox array. In the old days (before v15 r something or the
> other) I often had array based list boxes which had a bunch of hidden
> columns to store data that I wanted to do something with when the row was
> selected. Now I only need a single hidden column. Each element of the
> object array can store a wealth of additional information about the row.
> And it is really easy to extend what is stored in the object in the future.
> No more adding additional columns and making sure they are updated in all
> the right places. So nice!

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: Favorite tricks and keystrokes: Please take one and leave on

- Click on a 4D command, no need to highlight it all, in the method editor and press F1 to open the documentation page for the command. This is automatically version specific so if you are in v14 you get v14 docs. (Remember on macOS you probably need to press and hold the "Fn" key and then F1 for it to work.)

- Need a quick reminder of command parameters? Just hover the mouse over the 4D command name and wait for the tool tip to appear.

- Need a quick reminder of parameters for a method, hover the mouse over the method name. If you have something in the method "Comments" tab it displays the first few lines; otherwise it shows the first few lines of method comments in the method code.

So stop the old habit of beginning all your methods with "If (false)" and putting  comments inside. That kills this feature. Always start your method with comments that include the list of parameters.

- Always put parameter info at the top of the "Comments" tab for shared component methods. Then when you hover the mouse over a component method name it shows the first few lines and you will know about the parameters.

- Right click process or IP process variable in a method and choose Rename. Does what it says with the option of doing it everywhere in the database.

- Right click a local variable and choose "Rename" to do that in current method only.

- Right click method name and choose "Rename" to do that everywhere in the database.

Tim

Sent from my iPad