Horizontal Sizing Move

4D Tech mailing list
I am confused by an apparent restriction.

Mac os

4D version: 16 R2

When I create a list view (say 1400 pixels wide) and it is resizable then the user can grab the right lower corner and resize the window. If they make it very narrow then more and more information of the various listed records gets hidden. If they make it very wide, the rightmost field expands to take advantage of the space made available. This is fine and expected.

My problem is with a button in the header. In the design environment, I set it at the upper right of the window. I set its property to Horizontal Sizing: Move.

If I make the window, very wide then the button keeps up traveling to the right as I would want.

If I start to make the window narrow, then at first the button behaves as I would like. It travels to the left so as to stay in view. But then it "stops" and as I make the window narrower, it disappears from view. I am not making the window some bizarre extremely narrow thing. There is nothing in the header that is "in the way"

Is there some setting that I do not understand that I have applied to make the button refuse to move further to the left? How does 4D decide just where it is going to stop letting the button move as the user shrinks the window?

Re: Horizontal Sizing Move

4D Tech mailing list
Robert,
I think it depends  on whatever static objects are on the form. If you've
got an object that is not set to move, that will form the boundary for
resizing purposes.
If you have more than one page on the form, it will take into account
objects on ALL pages.

HTH
Pat

On 17 June 2017 at 17:08, Robert Livingston via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am confused by an apparent restriction.
>
> Mac os
>
> 4D version: 16 R2
>
> When I create a list view (say 1400 pixels wide) and it is resizable then
> the user can grab the right lower corner and resize the window. If they
> make it very narrow then more and more information of the various listed
> records gets hidden. If they make it very wide, the rightmost field expands
> to take advantage of the space made available. This is fine and expected.
>
> My problem is with a button in the header. In the design environment, I
> set it at the upper right of the window. I set its property to Horizontal
> Sizing: Move.
>
> If I make the window, very wide then the button keeps up traveling to the
> right as I would want.
>
> If I start to make the window narrow, then at first the button behaves as
> I would like. It travels to the left so as to stay in view. But then it
> "stops" and as I make the window narrower, it disappears from view. I am
> not making the window some bizarre extremely narrow thing. There is nothing
> in the header that is "in the way"
>
> Is there some setting that I do not understand that I have applied to make
> the button refuse to move further to the left? How does 4D decide just
> where it is going to stop letting the button move as the user shrinks the
> window?

CatBase - The Database Publishing Solution
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: Horizontal Sizing Move

4D Tech mailing list
Thanks for taking time to reply.

In my case, the button is the only item in the header. The output form itself was just created in the Wizard. During editing I remove all the button in the header except for my cancel button which I place in the upper right of the header.

Basically, that button will move to the right if the window is widened but will not move much to the left if the window is narrowed. Rather it just disappears from view.

I am not sure what the "static objects" are.

> On Jun 17, 2017, at 10:59 AM, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think it depends  on whatever static objects are on the form. If you've
> got an object that is not set to move, that will form the boundary for
> resizing purposes.

Re: Horizontal Sizing Move

4D Tech mailing list
By static objects I mean anything on the form that won't move - i.e.
anything that has no Move or Grow options selected.

On 18 June 2017 at 05:07, Robert Livingston via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for taking time to reply.
>
> In my case, the button is the only item in the header. The output form
> itself was just created in the Wizard. During editing I remove all the
> button in the header except for my cancel button which I place in the upper
> right of the header.
>
> Basically, that button will move to the right if the window is widened but
> will not move much to the left if the window is narrowed. Rather it just
> disappears from view.
>
> I am not sure what the "static objects" are.
>

> > On Jun 17, 2017, at 10:59 AM, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I think it depends  on whatever static objects are on the form. If you've
> > got an object that is not set to move, that will form the boundary for
> > resizing purposes.

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com