Linux in the future?

4D Tech mailing list
I remember years ago 4D “Universal” was supposed to run on Linux one day. I haven’t followed the DEVCONs in a while. Are there still any discussions concerning a Linux version of 4D Server?

Paul

Re: Linux in the future?

4D Tech mailing list
> I remember years ago 4D “Universal” was supposed to run on Linux one day. I haven’t followed the DEVCONs in a while. Are there still any discussions concerning a Linux version of 4D Server?

I haven’t heard anything since “years ago”. I saw it once then never heard again. So if they are still working towards that it will be a surprise to us all :)

Neil

Re: Linux in the future?

4D Tech mailing list
Neil,

Thanks for the reply. It’s a pity. With Apple having abandoned server hardware years ago, the only legal choice is Windows. What a shame for a non-Windows shop to have to support a Windows server just for that. That adds lots of cost and complexity.

Paul

> Le 16 juin 2017 à 15:33, npdennis <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> I remember years ago 4D “Universal” was supposed to run on Linux one day. I haven’t followed the DEVCONs in a while. Are there still any discussions concerning a Linux version of 4D Server?
>

> I haven’t heard anything since “years ago”. I saw it once then never heard again. So if they are still working towards that it will be a surprise to us all :)
>

> Neil

RE: Linux in the future?

4D Tech mailing list
> Thanks for the reply. It’s a pity. With Apple having abandoned server hardware years ago,
> the only legal choice is Windows. What a shame for a non-Windows shop to have to support
> a Windows server just for that. That adds lots of cost and complexity.

Just because Apple doesn't have an XServer any more, if you want to stay non-windows (or just Mac), Apple has some pretty impressive machines. The Mac Pro is beefy enough to handle even demanding server loads (12 core 2.7 Xeon processor, 64 GB ram, 1TB flash storage), the new iMac Pro (coming in December has up to 18 cores, 128 GB memory 4T SSD, and a 4.5 Xeon processor)

Granted none of these are rack mountable and don't have things like dual power supplies so they don't count as "servers" but the performance would rival some of the best windows servers out there.

Neil

--

Privacy Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please delete this email from your system and notify the sender immediately by replying to this email.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.

The Alternative Investments division of UMB Fund Services provides a full range of services to hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.  Any tax advice in this communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by a client or any other person or entity for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.

Re: Linux in the future?

4D Tech mailing list
At one of my clients we have a 180 gig data file on previous iteration of cylinder mac with attached SSD raid it to about 30 minutes to repair and rebuild indices for that data file, so I think it is pretty fast as Neil said

Sent from my iPhone

On Jun 16, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Dennis, Neil via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Thanks for the reply. It’s a pity. With Apple having abandoned server hardware years ago,
>> the only legal choice is Windows. What a shame for a non-Windows shop to have to support
>> a Windows server just for that. That adds lots of cost and complexity.
>
> Just because Apple doesn't have an XServer any more, if you want to stay non-windows (or just Mac), Apple has some pretty impressive machines. The Mac Pro is beefy enough to handle even demanding server loads (12 core 2.7 Xeon processor, 64 GB ram, 1TB flash storage), the new iMac Pro (coming in December has up to 18 cores, 128 GB memory 4T SSD, and a 4.5 Xeon processor)
>
> Granted none of these are rack mountable and don't have things like dual power supplies so they don't count as "servers" but the performance would rival some of the best windows servers out there.
>

> Neil
>

> --
>
> Privacy Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please delete this email from your system and notify the sender immediately by replying to this email.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
>
> The Alternative Investments division of UMB Fund Services provides a full range of services to hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.  Any tax advice in this communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by a client or any other person or entity for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.

Re: Linux in the future?

Neil,

Yes, we’ve been looking into the Mac Pro as an option to replace a stack of xServes. But the Mac Pro is end- 2013 without any updates. It’s getting long in the tooth and much of the price is for high-end graphics which don’t help one bit. We’ve read rumors of a modular Mac Pro for 2018. We’ll either hold out for that or switch to Win.

Paul

> Le 16 juin 2017 à 16:31, Dennis, Neil <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
>> Thanks for the reply. It’s a pity. With Apple having abandoned server hardware years ago,
>> the only legal choice is Windows. What a shame for a non-Windows shop to have to support
>> a Windows server just for that. That adds lots of cost and complexity.
>
> Just because Apple doesn't have an XServer any more, if you want to stay non-windows (or just Mac), Apple has some pretty impressive machines. The Mac Pro is beefy enough to handle even demanding server loads (12 core 2.7 Xeon processor, 64 GB ram, 1TB flash storage), the new iMac Pro (coming in December has up to 18 cores, 128 GB memory 4T SSD, and a 4.5 Xeon processor)
>
> Granted none of these are rack mountable and don't have things like dual power supplies so they don't count as "servers" but the performance would rival some of the best windows servers out there.
>

> Neil
>

> --
>
> Privacy Disclaimer: This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the named addressee. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please delete this email from your system and notify the sender immediately by replying to this email.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.
>
> The Alternative Investments division of UMB Fund Services provides a full range of services to hedge funds, funds of funds and private equity funds.  Any tax advice in this communication is not intended to be used, and cannot be used, by a client or any other person or entity for the purpose of (a) avoiding penalties that may be imposed on any taxpayer or (b) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any matter addressed herein.

Re: Linux in the future?

For best performance, you'll need the 64-bit version of 4D Server, which on Mac will require the new network layer. Good luck with that... my last experience with v15R4 was that it was still very slow compared to the legacy network layer (supported by Windows 64-bit server and all 32-bit clients) and not usable.

> On Jun 16, 2017, at 10:31 AM, Dennis, Neil via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Granted none of these are rack mountable and don't have things like dual power supplies so they don't count as "servers" but the performance would rival some of the best windows servers out there.

Re: Linux in the future?

Apple announced a 'fill-in' Mac pro - not sure of pricing
it is a beefed up iMac, so.. you will have to deal with an 'all-in-one'
form factor