Mirror and backup

4D Tech mailing list
Hi All,

I am just writing and testing code to have a mirror server and have a few questions

1. I assume that we will be backing up mirror on a daily basis? Does this cause any problems?

2. If we try and integrate a log file when backup is running what happens?

3. If we are integrating a log file and backup starts what happens?

Thanks and regards

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

Re: Mirror and backup

4D Tech mailing list
You will want to protect these two operations from interfering with each other via semaphores.  Don't try to integrate if a backup is in progress, and don't let On Backup Start complete until any integrations are finished.

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 1:01 PM, Chuck Miller via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 2. If we try and integrate a log file when backup is running what happens?
>
> 3. If we are integrating a log file and backup starts what happens?

Re: Mirror and backup

4D Tech mailing list
Chuck,

Backup are not really required when mirroring is setup and working
correctly. Monitor if mirroring fails for any reason...restart from square
one. Mirror is your back up. If you want to BACKUP on mirror 4D will wait
until Integrate log process is finished before starting Back up process and
visa versa. If you want to be extra safe yeah do semaphore based process
locking via code.

Regards
Balinder

On 8 June 2018 at 18:08, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> You will want to protect these two operations from interfering with each
> other via semaphores.  Don't try to integrate if a backup is in progress,
> and don't let On Backup Start complete until any integrations are finished.
>
> > On Jun 8, 2018, at 1:01 PM, Chuck Miller via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > 2. If we try and integrate a log file when backup is running what
> happens?
> >
> > 3. If we are integrating a log file and backup starts what happens?

Re: Mirror and backup

4D Tech mailing list
Like everything in life, nothing lasts forever, including your mirrors. By backing your mirror up you get restore points from which you can integrate subsequent journals in case of a problem.