Moving from v12 to v15, any tips on memory and network settings?

Moving from v12 to v15, any tips on memory and network settings?

Paul Lovejoy-2
Hi,

We’re moving a moderately large DB (210 tables, about 100gb of data, 150 concurrent users, about 700 processes) from v12 to v15. It will run on Mac OS X (32 bit for now). All our licenses are on Mac but our server is an xServe from 2011… Dual processor, 8 cores, 32gb RAM, SSD. Since Apple is building server hardware anymore, it would seem our only upgrade path would be moving to Windows, which we’re trying to avoid for as long as possible.

On v12 we have 1.5 gb of cache hard-wired.

Does memory behave in a similar way on v15, or should I expect surprises?

As for the network settings, I’m referring to the database parameters.

What we do now, in the server startup method:

SET DATABASE PARAMETER(4D Server Timeout;2)
SET DATABASE PARAMETER(4D Remote Mode Timeout;2)
SET DATABASE PARAMETER(Idle Connections Timeout;120)

I can’t even remember how we arrived at these settings. We spent a lot of time tweaking to avoid lost connections from remote clients over WAN.

Thanks for any tips.

Paul

Re: Moving from v12 to v15, any tips on memory and network settings?

Bill Weale
Hi Paul—

I’m pretty sure you can drop the timeout settings now. I don’t have any projects with that number of users, but I think, for at least the past 2-3 versions, the connection defaults are fine.

Bill

William W. Weale

Business Owners Support, LLC.

Operations Analysis
MIS Advising
Decision Support Systems

> On Dec 27, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Paul Lovejoy <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> We’re moving a moderately large DB (210 tables, about 100gb of data, 150 concurrent users, about 700 processes) from v12 to v15. It will run on Mac OS X (32 bit for now). All our licenses are on Mac but our server is an xServe from 2011… Dual processor, 8 cores, 32gb RAM, SSD. Since Apple is building server hardware anymore, it would seem our only upgrade path would be moving to Windows, which we’re trying to avoid for as long as possible.
>
> On v12 we have 1.5 gb of cache hard-wired.
>
> Does memory behave in a similar way on v15, or should I expect surprises?
>
> As for the network settings, I’m referring to the database parameters.
>
> What we do now, in the server startup method:
>
> SET DATABASE PARAMETER(4D Server Timeout;2)
> SET DATABASE PARAMETER(4D Remote Mode Timeout;2)
> SET DATABASE PARAMETER(Idle Connections Timeout;120)
>
> I can’t even remember how we arrived at these settings. We spent a lot of time tweaking to avoid lost connections from remote clients over WAN.
>

> Thanks for any tips.
>

> Paul

Re: Moving from v12 to v15, any tips on memory and network settings?

Jeffrey Kain
Agreed, don't mess with the database parameters anymore for the various network timeouts. Use the defaults.

Memory? Probably the biggest change is that you can use 0 as the "automatic" stack size for new processes.

4D provides a 64-bit Mac server with v15 which will give you much better performance for such a large database than a 32-bit server, however it will require that you use the new network layer. Another option would be to use v15R5 and 4D Server x64 for Mac OS... supposedly the new network layer is ready for prime time in this version, but you may have some issues with OS X Sierra.

> On Dec 27, 2016, at 12:30 PM, Bill Weale <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Paul—
>
> I’m pretty sure you can drop the timeout settings now. I don’t have any projects with that number of users, but I think, for at least the past 2-3 versions, the connection defaults are fine.
>
> Bill

Re: Moving from v12 to v15, any tips on memory and network settings?

Chuck Miller-2
We have just upgraded to a new MAC with an attached SSD hardware raid. (One of the new towers. Holy cow can’t begin to tell you how fast. We have a > 200 gig data file recovery from back up and rebuild of indices takes much shorter time period. Our old server had 10,000 rpm drives read drives

SSD and mucho memory are just the ticket

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.