New Gmail interface does not render carriage returns as Line breaks in 4D plain text Emails

New Gmail interface does not render carriage returns as Line breaks in 4D plain text Emails

4D Tech mailing list
Hey all,

This may be a bit obscure for most. Our system (for decades) has sent
plain text emails (mostly alerts and short notices). It's never been
an issue until the new Gmail interface. The new interface does not
render line breaks sent as a carriage return. Everything just runs
together. Line breaks sent as a carriage return plus line feed do
render correctly. Every other email client I have tested does fine
with just carriage returns (including the old Gmail interface.)

I know the RFC rules for headers require a CRLF, but it is less clear
about a message body.
I have an ongoing case with the G Suite tech support. We'll see what happens.

Side note: The funny thing about the G Suite tech support is that they
could not give me a gmail address I could send a demo email to show
them the issue directly. Instead the had me use the developer tools in
chrome to record a session. When I asked why they could not simply
look at the email in the gmail interface, they said they did not have
access to gmail from their system for security reasons. The irony
seemed a bit thick.

dave

--
David Nasralla
Clean Air Engineering

Re: New Gmail interface does not render carriage returns as Line breaks in 4D plain text Emails

4D Tech mailing list
Hi Dave,

I've seen this too, in v16 and v17. Did anything ever come of this?

Steve

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: New Gmail interface does not render carriage returns as Line breaks in 4D plain text Emails

4D Tech mailing list
It seems that all line breaks must be carriage return/line feed.  Here’s what we did that seemed to fix this issue:

$BodyText:=Replace string($BodyText;"\r\n";"\r";*)
$BodyText:=Replace string($BodyText;"\n";"\r";*)
$BodyText:=Replace string($BodyText;"\r";"\r\n";*)

Jeff Grann
SuccessWare, Inc.