OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

truegold
Hi All,

4D v15r2 (Mac and windows)

On an Application I am using Sheets on on OSX. Sometimes a window sheet and then another on top of that. So…

Parent window opens a sheet which has a button that opens another sheet on top.

Works and looks really good on OSX.

Not so on windows!

Since I’d like my apps to look similar on both OSX and Windows I’m guessing I will have to consider a different approach to window management.

Looked on Nabble but not much help...

Has anyone used window sheets on the OSX UI where you also run cross platform? If so, what approach to windows did you do for windows?

Looks like it’s time that I go back to UI school.

Appreciate,
John...

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

Keisuke Miyako
with a web-area based UI,
you could do all sorts of things...

http://tympanus.net/codrops/2013/06/25/nifty-modal-window-effects/

> 2016/11/08 8:09、truegold <[hidden email]> のメール:
> Looks like it’s time that I go back to UI school.

宮古 啓介
セールス・エンジニア

株式会社フォーディー・ジャパン
〒150-0043
東京都渋谷区道玄坂1-10-2 渋谷THビル6F
Tel: 03-6427-8441
Fax: 03-6427-8449

[hidden email]
www.4D.com/JP

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

truegold
Hi Miyako,

Yes that’s very slick!

I use web areas in other databases. And I will investigate this further for future projects. It’s amazing what css is evolving into.

For this project however I think I want something simpler that just looks similar on Mac and windows.

Maybe I shouldn’t ask about sheets versus and instead ask how others are handling dialogs in cross platform apps.

Which window types work best cross platform and are consistent with UI specs.

Thank you for the idea,
John...

> with a web-area based UI,
> you could do all sorts of things...
>
> http://tympanus.net/codrops/2013/06/25/nifty-modal-window-effects/

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

Keisuke Miyako
just be careful to test in a web area at an early stage,
some features are native only, mac only, webkit only, or mac-webkit only.
(very few things are windows-only)

> 2016/11/08 8:51、truegold <[hidden email]> のメール:
> Maybe I shouldn’t ask about sheets versus and instead ask how others are handling dialogs in cross platform apps.

宮古 啓介
セールス・エンジニア

株式会社フォーディー・ジャパン
〒150-0043
東京都渋谷区道玄坂1-10-2 渋谷THビル6F
Tel: 03-6427-8441
Fax: 03-6427-8449

[hidden email]
www.4D.com/JP

RE: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

Timothy Penner
> with a web-area based UI,
> you could do all sorts of things...

Possibly related...
http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77177

-Tim

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

What's wrong with a normal movable modal dialog box?

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 6:09 PM, truegold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not so on windows!
>
> Since I’d like my apps to look similar on both OSX and Windows I’m guessing I will have to consider a different approach to window management.

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

truegold
Hey Jeffrey,

Of course there’s nothing wrong with a modal window. I’m guessing that a sheet is a kind of modal window.

I guess I’m seeing window behavior (placement and type) that differs depending upon OS. I like the way sheets work but they are not native to windows as far as I can tell.

Initially I wanted to emulate the same window behavior on both OS’s. But I think I can’t using native 4D code.

Thus it led me to the question to see if other developers might have wrestled with the issue and had iras.

"To be or not to be modal" is not the question. <smile>

Thanks,
John...

> What's wrong with a normal movable modal dialog box?

> On Nov 7, 2016, at 6:09 PM, truegold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not so on windows!
>
> Since I’d like my apps to look similar on both OSX and Windows I’m guessing I will have to consider a different approach to window management.

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

truegold
Hey Tim,

I’ll take a look. Thanks for the reminder of the TN.

Appreciate,
John...

>> with a web-area based UI,
>> you could do all sorts of things...
>
> Possibly related...
> http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77177

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

Yeah, there's nothing like it on Windows.

> On Nov 8, 2016, at 8:25 AM, truegold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thus it led me to the question to see if other developers might have wrestled with the issue and had iras.
>
> "To be or not to be modal" is not the question. <smile>

Re: OSX Window Sheets versus what to do on windows

> Le 8 nov. 2016 à 00:09, truegold <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Has anyone used window sheets on the OSX UI where you also run cross platform? If so, what approach to windows did you do for windows?

Given that:
- a 4D process cannot have more than one window
- the sheet indow is a some kind of "modal limited to the process" dialog
- sheet window does not exist on windows

Lazy solution:
- on mac, open a sheet over the current process window to display the dialog
- on windows, do nothing: use the current window to display the dialog

Scrollbars become disabled

truegold
Hi All,

Using 4D v15.2 Mac Server (mac and window clients)

We are having issues where the scrollbars in included forms and lisboxes become disabled even though there are plenty of rows beyond the screen display area. This has been happening on and off since 4D v12. So it’s not new.

Has anyone else seen this?

If so, what did you do to fix?

Of course, when debugging it it never happens.

Appreciate,
John...

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

Charles Miller
On Wed, Nov 16, 2016 at 2:09 PM, truegold <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Using 4D v15.2 Mac Server (mac and window clients)
>
> We are having issues where the scrollbars in included forms and lisboxes
> become disabled even though there are plenty of rows beyond the screen
> display area. This has been happening on and off since 4D v12. So it’s not
> new.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> If so, what did you do to fix?
>
> Of course, when debugging it it never happens.
>
> Appreciate,

Try resizing the window manually

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Sever connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

truegold
Hi Chuck,

> Try resizing the window manually

Well, that would be easy to try except that almost all there windows are a fixed size and not resizable.

Thanks,
John...

>> Using 4D v15.2 Mac Server (mac and window clients)
>>
>> We are having issues where the scrollbars in included forms and lisboxes
>> become disabled even though there are plenty of rows beyond the screen
>> display area. This has been happening on and off since 4D v12. So it’s not
>> new.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> If so, what did you do to fix?
>>
>> Of course, when debugging it it never happens.
>>
>> Appreciate,

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

Chuck Miller-2
Can you minimize and bring back. It may also work by clicking into where scroll bar is

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 3:01 PM, truegold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Well, that would be easy to try except that almost all there windows are a fixed size and not resizable.
>
> Thanks,
> John...

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

Keith Culotta ns
Would it be related to the System Preferences:General:Show Scroll bars setting?

Keith - CDI

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 1:09 PM, truegold <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Using 4D v15.2 Mac Server (mac and window clients)
>
> We are having issues where the scrollbars in included forms and lisboxes become disabled even though there are plenty of rows beyond the screen display area. This has been happening on and off since 4D v12. So it’s not new.
>
> Has anyone else seen this?
>
> If so, what did you do to fix?
>
> Of course, when debugging it it never happens.
>
> Appreciate,
> John...

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

truegold
Hi Chuck,

> Can you minimize and bring back. It may also work by clicking into where scroll bar is

Unfortunately not. This an old database that started development in late 80’s. It still has those small window with no animated abilities.

So I will try seeing if reloading the records for the included layouts help.

Not sure yet on the HList.

Just weird,
John...

> Hi Chuck,
>
>> Try resizing the window manually
>
> Well, that would be easy to try except that almost all there windows are a fixed size and not resizable.
>
> Thanks,
> John...
>
>>> Using 4D v15.2 Mac Server (mac and window clients)
>>>
>>> We are having issues where the scrollbars in included forms and lisboxes
>>> become disabled even though there are plenty of rows beyond the screen
>>> display area. This has been happening on and off since 4D v12. So it’s not
>>> new.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>>
>>> If so, what did you do to fix?
>>>
>>> Of course, when debugging it it never happens.
>>>
>>> Appreciate,

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

truegold
Hi Keith,

> Would it be related to the System Preferences:General:Show Scroll bars setting?

I can’t say for sure other than the full scrollbar is present.

I will check and see what there settings are.

Appreciate the idea,
John...

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Using 4D v15.2 Mac Server (mac and window clients)
>>
>> We are having issues where the scrollbars in included forms and lisboxes become disabled even though there are plenty of rows beyond the screen display area. This has been happening on and off since 4D v12. So it’s not new.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?
>>
>> If so, what did you do to fix?
>>
>> Of course, when debugging it it never happens.
>>
>> Appreciate,
>> John...

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

Chip Scheide
redraw   ?

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 14:12:21 -0800, truegold wrote:

> Hi Chuck,
>
>> Can you minimize and bring back. It may also work by clicking into
>> where scroll bar is
>

> Unfortunately not. This an old database that started development in
> late 80’s. It still has those small window with no animated abilities.
>
> So I will try seeing if reloading the records for the included layouts help.
>
> Not sure yet on the HList.
>
> Just weird,
> John...
>
>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>>> Try resizing the window manually
>>
>> Well, that would be easy to try except that almost all there windows
>> are a fixed size and not resizable.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John...

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

truegold
Hey Chip,

> redraw   ?

Yea, that’s the only thing i can think of is providing various ways of refreshing the list OR refreshing the window.

Thanks,
John...

> Hi Chuck,
>
>> Can you minimize and bring back. It may also work by clicking into where scroll bar is
>

> Unfortunately not. This an old database that started development in late 80’s. It still has those small window with no animated abilities.
>
> So I will try seeing if reloading the records for the included layouts help.
>
> Not sure yet on the HList.
>
> Just weird,
> John...
>
>> Hi Chuck,
>>
>>> Try resizing the window manually
>>
>> Well, that would be easy to try except that almost all there windows are a fixed size and not resizable.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> John...

Re: Scrollbars become disabled

Chuck Miller-2
If you are changing code to add redraw why not change window type and set max and min sizes to be only a few pixels different