Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

4D Tech mailing list
Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor
http://forums.4d.fr/Post//19482991/1/

Please vote for this feature request. And if anyone wants to make a better
argument, please do! It's early here and I'm not at my best yet...

Re: Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

4D Tech mailing list
I felt splitting panes was more alike a carry over from classic Mac OS,
that the "removal" was more a case of "not (easily) portable" to newer SDKs.
(also being less critical as screen sizes got bigger)

true, many code editors have a similar feature,
but more relevant in a "diff" context.

meanwhile, check out this feature in 16R3:
http://blog.4d.com/merge-your-windows-into-tabs-on-mac-os-sierra/

2017/05/30 6:36、David Adams via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> のメール:

Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor
http://forums.4d.fr/Post//19482991/1/

Please vote for this feature request. And if anyone wants to make a better
argument, please do! It's early here and I'm not at my best yet...

Re: Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

4D Tech mailing list
On Tue, May 30, 2017 at 8:45 AM, Keisuke Miyako via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

Good point about tabs in V16 R3, that looks nice. But it's not the same
thing.

I know that people vary in their cognitive strengths, weaknesses, and
styles. Personally, I'm terrible at copying things by memory. For example,
if I have something in one BBEdit window and try to read it and then type
it into a second window, I make a mess of it unless I can *see* them both
at the same time. My partner? She can remember long strings of numbers and
random letters easily. I use 1Password ;-)

This is probably one reason I find using an iPad frustrating for anything
but consumption and my wife doesn't see so much difference between the
computer and the iPad.

So, yeah, for some of us being able to see two things *at the same time* is
fundamental different from being able to see two things in rapid
succession. I appreciate that this is less true (even far less true) for
some but if you're like me, it's a big deal. Think of it as being like
color blindness or one of the things labeled dyslexia. It's not like you
can 'fix' that - but the a split pane window is a big accommodation. And if
you don't find it terrible useful, you don't ever have to use it.

Re: Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

You know if every method really on did one thing, and only had a few params
that never changed and ... well then the split screen really wouldn't be
necessary.

But here are the places I really miss it.
1) when I'm passing parameters to a method in a c-obj.
After I'm more than about 15 lines down I would really like to be able to
see the top of the method, where I'd document what's in the c-obj, right on
top of the code I'm working with. Especially if this is a complex branching
situation where I'm more like 100 lines from the top. Even with a large
screen (which I have) it's not as easy. And if the c-obj has more than a
few keys it's even more involved.

2) when I'm working with a single method that calls itself.
I like to put all the actual code for most of my forms into a single
process method I call a 'form controller'. This method will have some
actions that can be called from objects within the method. Like "save" -
the save button, obviously, but maybe also something that causes a refresh,
reset, new record - whatever. The situation is that I need to be sure I
have everything lined up correctly between where I'm working and what the
'save' code is expecting.

3) when I'm documenting the method.
I prefer to put all the documentation at the top of the method in most
cases. In fact I start each method with at least a simple sentence
declaring what it's purpose is. This usually changes over time becoming
more complex - and being able to see the code in question right by the
documentation is a big help.

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 3:36 PM, David Adams via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor
> http://forums.4d.fr/Post//19482991/1/
>
> Please vote for this feature request. And if anyone wants to make a better
> argument, please do! It's early here and I'm not at my best yet...

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

4D Tech mailing list
Kirk,

Nice examples!

Vote early, vote often! Talk here is just talk as 4D *officially* ignores
this list. Over on the forums, 4D only unofficially ignores us ;-)

Re: Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor

4D Tech mailing list
This feature request is on fire over on the forums - it's hit 30 votes with
a 4* rating in a few hours. That's the fastest I've ever seen. If you
haven't voted yet, do it now. Grab a piece of history and make it your own!

Please give us a split-pane in the Method Editor
http://forums.4d.fr/Post/EN/19482991/0/0/