Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Has anyone here had the need to print a PDF document from 4D, and found a solution?

I am not talking about generating a PDF from 4D. I have an existing PDF document and I need 4D to print it for me! Exactly, user selects a PDF document and I have 4D command it to be printed.

I can use LEP, a plugin, whatever, but so far I have not found a way to do it, with a 100% assurance the document will come out faithfully.

Oh, and this in on Windows.

Thanks for any pointers.
--
Julio Carneiro

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Julio,

I use QPDF plugin from Pluggers Software <https://www.pluggers.nl/product/qpdf-plugin/> to do this kind of action and many more.
Best tools out there to manage PDF documents from 4D.

[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Hi Julio,

There is another plugin from pluggers.nl which handles viewing and printing of pdf documents too: PDFViewer. I have been using it on macOS for years. Excellent support from Rob for the rare occasions I needed it.

Kind regards,
Koen

> Op 19 mrt. 2019, om 12:39 heeft Luc Devar via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> I use QPDF plugin from Pluggers Software <https://www.pluggers.nl/product/qpdf-plugin/ <https://www.pluggers.nl/product/qpdf-plugin/>> to do this kind of action and many more.
> Best tools out there to manage PDF documents from 4D.

--------------------
Compass bvba
Koen Van Hooreweghe
Kloosterstraat 65
9910 Aalter
Belgium
tel +32 495 511.653

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
RE:  There is another plugin from pluggers.nl which handles viewing and printing of pdf documents too: PDFViewer. I have been using it on macOS for years. Excellent support from Rob for the rare occasions I needed it.

I would second this!

Steve

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

Not sure if this will work but how about creating a web area in form load
the document and then print it

On Tue, Mar 19, 2019 at 7:13 AM Julio Carneiro via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Has anyone here had the need to print a PDF document from 4D, and found a
> solution?
>
> I am not talking about generating a PDF from 4D. I have an existing PDF
> document and I need 4D to print it for me! Exactly, user selects a PDF
> document and I have 4D command it to be printed.
>
> I can use LEP, a plugin, whatever, but so far I have not found a way to do
> it, with a 100% assurance the document will come out faithfully.
>
> Oh, and this in on Windows.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
> --
> Julio Carneiro

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.

On Mar 19, 2019, at 8:50 AM, Julio Carneiro wrote:

> Has anyone here had the need to print a PDF document from 4D, and found a solution?
>
> I am not talking about generating a PDF from 4D. I have an existing PDF document and I need 4D to print it for me! Exactly, user selects a PDF document and I have 4D command it to be printed.
>
> I can use LEP, a plugin, whatever, but so far I have not found a way to do it, with a 100% assurance the document will come out faithfully.
>
> Oh, and this in on Windows.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.

Acrobat Reader has a command line interface to cause it to print a PDF. It’s not well documented and it has changed a bit over time with different versions but it does work. Check this out:

https://superuser.com/questions/1226609/adobe-reader-send-to-printer-command-line

You may need to provide the full path the AcroRd32.exe to get it to work via LEP. Also if you don’t specify <printername> it will print to the default printer.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

printing an HTML is not always easy (especially pagination) even with a good media specific CSS.
https://github.com/miyako/4d-component-wkhtmltopdf

besides, printing is a blocking process (only 1 job at a time) and not thread safe
so I think it is preferable to generate PDF by code than to "print" it, if possible. (like with the pluggers plugin)

> 2019/03/19 22:49、Charles Miller via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>のメール:
> Not sure if this will work but how about creating a web area in form load
> the document and then print it

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

I do have PDF Viewer, but on Windows you can’t print from an off-screen area, which means yo have to display the pdf on a form before printing it.

I forgot to mention that I need to just “print” and external PDF. Printing has to happen in background and in some cases for 4D Server. So, no user interface allowed.

@Luc Devar, QPDF, also from pluggers.nl, does not support printing on Windows.

So, none of Rob’s plugins work in my case.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:29 AM, UKVetDerm via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> RE:  There is another plugin from pluggers.nl which handles viewing and printing of pdf documents too: PDFViewer. I have been using it on macOS for years. Excellent support from Rob for the rare occasions I needed it.
>
> I would second this!
>
> Steve

Julio Carneiro

RE: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Julio,

Sorry, coming into this late...

Do you have WIN32API?  If so, you can simply use the sys_shellexecute command to print.  It will use the native Windows application.

Best,

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

I do have PDF Viewer, but on Windows you can’t print from an off-screen area, which means yo have to display the pdf on a form before printing it.

I forgot to mention that I need to just “print” and external PDF. Printing has to happen in background and in some cases for 4D Server. So, no user interface allowed.

@Luc Devar, QPDF, also from pluggers.nl, does not support printing on Windows.

So, none of Rob’s plugins work in my case.

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 9:29 AM, UKVetDerm via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> RE:  There is another plugin from pluggers.nl which handles viewing and printing of pdf documents too: PDFViewer. I have been using it on macOS for years. Excellent support from Rob for the rare occasions I needed it.
>
> I would second this!
>
> Steve

Julio Carneiro

RE: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Julio,

Here is how we use this command to print:

     $returncode:=sys_ShellExecute ("print";$path;"";"";SW_HIDE)

The $path variable contains the full path to the document I want to print.

Best,

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.          Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

I do have PDF Viewer, but on Windows you can’t print from an off-screen area, which means yo have to display the pdf on a form before printing it.

I forgot to mention that I need to just “print” and external PDF. Printing has to happen in background and in some cases for 4D Server. So, no user interface allowed.

@Luc Devar, QPDF, also from pluggers.nl, does not support printing on Windows.

Printing a PDF document from 4D

We use GhostScript via LEP to convert the file from a PDF to a PCL
document. Afterwards we open a connection to the printer using TCP
commands and send with TCP_SendBlob.

We do many PDFs this way and it works great. Cons are that it has to
be an IP-configured printer. Pros are that it's silent. No additional
programs open up or flash windows on the workstation. And it's pretty
fast.

Darin

> Julio, Sorry, coming into this late... Do you have WIN32API? If so, you can simply use the sys_shellexecute command to print. It will use the native Windows application. Best, Steve ********************************************* Stephen J. Orth The Aquila Group, Inc. Office: (608) 834-9213 P.O. Box 690 Mobile: (608) 347-6447 Sun Prairie, WI 53590 E-Mail: [hidden email] *********************************************

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

> On 19 Mar 2019, at 15:27, Julio Carneiro via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> @Luc Devar, QPDF, also from pluggers.nl <http://pluggers.nl/>, does not support printing on Windows.

Hi Julio,

What makes you conclude that?

QPDF Print Document works just fine on Windows.
It is however not yet implemented on Mac, as described in the documentation.

But there are are various alternative ways to achieve that.
You can also render a PDF page to a picture variable and print the picture.

HTH,

- Rob Laveaux

Pluggers Software
Scholekstersingel 48
2496 MP  Den Haag
The Netherlands

Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Website: http://www.pluggers.nl <http://www.pluggers.nl/>

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list wrote

> Has anyone here had the need to print a PDF document from 4D, and found a
> solution?
>
> I am not talking about generating a PDF from 4D. I have an existing PDF
> document and I need 4D to print it for me! Exactly, user selects a PDF
> document and I have 4D command it to be printed.
>
> I can use LEP, a plugin, whatever, but so far I have not found a way to do
> it, with a 100% assurance the document will come out faithfully.
>
> Oh, and this in on Windows.
>
> Thanks for any pointers.
> --
> Julio Carneiro

Hi Julio,

I use this:

Windows:
$errText:=sys_ShellExecute ("print";$vt_path;"";"";1)
With Win32Api Plugin

Mac:
C_TEXT($1;$POSIXPath;$HFSPath)
$HFSPath:=$1
$POSIXPath:=Replace string($HFSPath;":";"/")
LAUNCH EXTERNAL PROCESS("lp \"/Volumes/"+$POSIXPath+"\"")

Regards Armin
And if you need a solution to create pdfs on windows:
http://www.node.de/indexplug.htm

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Thanks to all that replied, Stephen J. Orth’s Win32API is the winning solution.

That’s why this is is awesome.

cheers,
julio

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 4:42 PM, ADeeg via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 4D Tech mailing list wrote
>> Has anyone here had the need to print a PDF document from 4D, and found a
>> solution?
>>
>> I am not talking about generating a PDF from 4D. I have an existing PDF
>> document and I need 4D to print it for me! Exactly, user selects a PDF
>> document and I have 4D command it to be printed.
>>
>> I can use LEP, a plugin, whatever, but so far I have not found a way to do
>> it, with a 100% assurance the document will come out faithfully.
>>
>> Oh, and this in on Windows.
>>
>> Thanks for any pointers.
>> --
>> Julio Carneiro
>
> Hi Julio,
>
> I use this:
>
> Windows:
> $errText:=sys_ShellExecute ("print";$vt_path;"";"";1)
> With Win32Api Plugin
>
> Mac:
> C_TEXT($1;$POSIXPath;$HFSPath)
> $HFSPath:=$1
> $POSIXPath:=Replace string($HFSPath;":";"/")
> LAUNCH EXTERNAL PROCESS("lp \"/Volumes/"+$POSIXPath+"\"")
>
> Regards Armin
> And if you need a solution to create pdfs on windows:
> http://www.node.de/indexplug.htm <http://www.node.de/indexplug.htm>
>

> --
> Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html <http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html>
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html <http://lists.4d.com/archives.html>
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>

Julio Carneiro

Printing a PDF document from 4D

We've been dealing with this issue with regard to converting HTML we generate from 4D to MS Word DOCX, and in the process, we ended up with a nice multi-format conversion tool that supports PDF as well. For years we've been using a free Windows desktop app called MultiDoc Converter by a developer in Germany. We needed to convert XML and HTML to DOCX and were looking for a plugin for 4D to handle it. I contacted the developer and he sold us a command line EXE application version of the same software that we can call from 4D via Launch External Process. The syntax is super simple:

HTML to DOCX:
Launch External Process ("C:\\temp\\convertdoc.exe c:\\temp\\*.htm c:\\temp\\*.docx /overwrite")

HTML to PDF:
Launch External Process ("C:\\temp\\convertdoc.exe c:\\temp\\*.htm c:\\temp\\*.pdf /overwrite")

It converts to and from HTML, XML, DOC, DOCX, ePub, ODT, and PDF (although you can only convert TO PDF, not From).

His website is here if you're interested: http://www.multidoc-converter.com/en/index.html

Neal Schaefer
Director, Product & Content Management Systems

ABC-CLIO
[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> | www.abc-clio.com<http://www.abc-clio.com/>

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

Sorry Rob, my mistake!

I misread QPDF’s documentation and assumed the exact opposite, that QPDF Print Document was not implemented on Windows! duh!!

I’ll take another look for sure.

cheers,
julio

> On Mar 19, 2019, at 11:58 AM, Rob Laveaux via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>> On 19 Mar 2019, at 15:27, Julio Carneiro via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> @Luc Devar, QPDF, also from pluggers.nl <http://pluggers.nl/> <http://pluggers.nl/ <http://pluggers.nl/>>, does not support printing on Windows.
>

> Hi Julio,
>
> What makes you conclude that?
>
> QPDF Print Document works just fine on Windows.
> It is however not yet implemented on Mac, as described in the documentation.
>
> But there are are various alternative ways to achieve that.
> You can also render a PDF page to a picture variable and print the picture.
>
> HTH,
>
> - Rob Laveaux

> Pluggers Software
> Scholekstersingel 48
> 2496 MP  Den Haag
> The Netherlands
>
> Email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Website: http://www.pluggers.nl <http://www.pluggers.nl/> <http://www.pluggers.nl/ <http://www.pluggers.nl/>>

Julio Carneiro

RE: Printing a PDF document from 4D

Oops - quick correction on the syntax:

HTML to DOCX:
Launch External Process ("C:\\temp\\convertdoc.exe c:\\temp\\*.htm c:\\temp\\*.docx /overwrite"; $blank;$outputStream_t;$errorStream_t)

HTML to PDF:
Launch External Process ("C:\\temp\\convertdoc.exe c:\\temp\\*.htm c:\\temp\\*.pdf /overwrite"; $blank;$outputStream_t;$errorStream_t)

Re: Printing a PDF document from 4D

> Le 19 mars 2019 à 15:03, Keisuke Miyako via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> [...]
> so I think it is preferable to generate PDF by code than to "print" it, if possible. (like with the pluggers plugin)

I have not used it myself, but as far as I can remember when a friend showed me, this plugin allows to work in a very similar way to Print object.