Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
I’ve never managed to find a reliable way of installing a built application on our client Macs.

Our network is 15 Macs running latest versions of 10.10 or 10.12. 4D is version 15.5 and I’m compiling an app using 4D Volume Desktop. The data is all stored in a MySQL database, accessed via the MyConnect plugin, so the 4D data file is only used to get things started.

The data file is stored in Users/Shared/MyProgram. I have tried installing the compiled app by copying it directly on to the client machines, and by building a package and running installer. I’ve tried installing in the applications folder and in the Users/Shared/MyProgram folder. Always I get one of the following issues:

1. Crash immediately after selecting the data file. Extract from crash report says:

> Crashed Thread:        8  Application process (id = -1)
>
> Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
> Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000020
> Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
>
> Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
> Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
> Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]

2. Error on launch telling me that the error dialog could not be loaded (I haven’t seen this one recently so can’t remember the exact words). The app continues to load after dismissing the dialog.

3. Runtime error on quit - "error when executing the method sponsored (runtime) at line number 13, database is write protected”

4. Error telling me that the file is write protected

I can fix all of these problems by either:

a) getting info on the folder enclosing the app (when it’s not in the applications folder) and applying its privileges to the enclosed items; or
b) copying the application to the desktop and then copying it back into the applications folder. This alters the owner from “system" to the logged in user.

In both scenarios, I can’t see any obvious alterations to the permissions, by carrying out this instruction, but it’s the only way I can find to make the app work.

But obviously this is not a sustainable solution, as I have to log into each computer (albeit using Remote Desktop) and alter the privileges on every computer, every time I deploy an update.

Does any of this make any sense to anyone?

TIA

James

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
One thing I would for sure do is get your application signed so you do not
get into instance where OS won’t lety it run. Here are notes from

My assumption is that the application is falling victim to Gatekeeper and
being translocated to a read-only location. Apple documents how to get
around this; they suggest signing the app and placing it on a dmg and then
signing the dmg. Quote from Apple: "For distribution outside of the Mac App
Store, the preferred options are to use a signed disk image (DMG) or signed
installer package. Signing these allows validation of the contents and
their source. ZIP archives may also be used, but this is discouraged."

However they also mention that if you still deliver the application as a
zip file then you would need to place the application into the root of the
/Applications/ folder; so if your application is named myApp.app it should
be moved exactly to /Applications/myApp.app right after extracting it from
the ZIP file (not after attempting to run it from somewhere else). But I am
pretty sure for this to work the application is still supposed to be signed.

Sometimes you can right clicking on the application and choosing "Open" to
get passed gatekeeper warning about unsigned applications, but I am not
sure if this affects app translocation.

As a last minute alternative, maybe there is an extended attribute you can
remove from the installed application (using 'xattr -cr
/Applications/myApp.app' from a terminal) to get it out of quarantine. I
don’t know if this will work, but maybe it can help.

Here are some references that may help:

http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77688

https://developer.apple.com/library/content/technotes/tn2206/_index.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/DTS40007919-CH1-TNTAG17

https://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/87313/how-to-remove-xattr-com-apple-quarantine-from-all-webarchive-files-with-that-ex

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 5:08 PM, James Knight via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve never managed to find a reliable way of installing a built
> application on our client Macs.
>
> Our network is 15 Macs running latest versions of 10.10 or 10.12. 4D is
> version 15.5 and I’m compiling an app using 4D Volume Desktop. The data is
> all stored in a MySQL database, accessed via the MyConnect plugin, so the
> 4D data file is only used to get things started.
>
> The data file is stored in Users/Shared/MyProgram. I have tried installing
> the compiled app by copying it directly on to the client machines, and by
> building a package and running installer. I’ve tried installing in the
> applications folder and in the Users/Shared/MyProgram folder. Always I get
> one of the following issues:
>
> 1. Crash immediately after selecting the data file. Extract from crash
> report says:
>
> > Crashed Thread:        8  Application process (id = -1)
> >
> > Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
> > Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000020
> > Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY
> >
> > Termination Signal:    Segmentation fault: 11
> > Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
> > Terminating Process:   exc handler [0]
>

> 2. Error on launch telling me that the error dialog could not be loaded (I
> haven’t seen this one recently so can’t remember the exact words). The app
> continues to load after dismissing the dialog.
>
> 3. Runtime error on quit - "error when executing the method sponsored
> (runtime) at line number 13, database is write protected”
>
> 4. Error telling me that the file is write protected
>
> I can fix all of these problems by either:
>
> a) getting info on the folder enclosing the app (when it’s not in the
> applications folder) and applying its privileges to the enclosed items; or
> b) copying the application to the desktop and then copying it back into
> the applications folder. This alters the owner from “system" to the logged
> in user.
>
> In both scenarios, I can’t see any obvious alterations to the permissions,
> by carrying out this instruction, but it’s the only way I can find to make
> the app work.
>
> But obviously this is not a sustainable solution, as I have to log into
> each computer (albeit using Remote Desktop) and alter the privileges on
> every computer, every time I deploy an update.
>
> Does any of this make any sense to anyone?
>
> TIA
>
> James

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.

RE: Problems installing built application

Hi James,

I agree with what Chuck Miller posted (I think he was quoting my reply to your previous thread: http://kb.4d.com/resources/inug?msgid=GmailId1607a1da70d0a99b).
Definitely start signing your application if you are not already doing so - and then make sure to distribute your signed application on a signed DMG.

In addition to signing your application, I wonder if you would benefit from using the Default data file... You mention that:
- The data is all stored in a MySQL database
- The 4D data file is only used to get things started
- The (4D) data file is stored in Users/Shared/MyProgram

This sounds to me like a perfect candidate for the Default data file- assuming that that the data file doesn't need to change...
http://doc.4d.com/4Dv15/4D/15/Default-data-file-in-merged-applications.300-2005955.en.html

-Tim

Re: Problems installing built application

extended finder attributes cause code sign to fail, but of course, clearing them with xattr mean little if the app is not signed in the first place.

basically,

if you don’t sign a built application, you have no choice but to ask the end user to disable gate keeper for the app, and install it under documents or some other permissive directory.

even if you do sign the application, you probably still need to use the v15 default data system, as a safer way to start.

and then, there still remains the issue of how to manage backups.

the setting file is inside the package, and the destination folder is there also by default. I think it is OK to modify an xml file once the app is installed, only executable files are supposed to be code signed.

in my experience, backup is the one that often gets over looked.

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
Thanks for your replies to this. I will experiment with signing BUT I really
don't think this is the issue, for 2 reasons:

1. I've had this problem since before Gatekeeper was invented.
2. I'm familiar with the Gatekeeper dialogs and this isn't one of them.
Gatekeeper would normally prevent the app being opened, but this can be
bypassed by right-clicking the app and selecting 'open'. That's not the
problem here.

This does seem to be some weird permission scenario but I can't get to the
bottom of it. Details of any other successful runtime installations would be
helpful - especially where problems have been found and overcome.

Finally, you are right that the app ought to be a good candidate for using a
default data file, but unfortunately the previous developer built some code
that required the use of the data file as a temporary store for building
certain reports. It's annoying, but I don't have time to unpick all that
stuff! So, for now, the data file will have to stay outside the app.

Thanks!

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
You can do this with the default data file. The new model allows you to startup your app and then switch to another database without showing the open database dialog. You can switch to an existing one or create a new one on the fly.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.

> On Jan 31, 2018, at 1:35 PM, macjimbo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Finally, you are right that the app ought to be a good candidate for using a
> default data file, but unfortunately the previous developer built some code
> that required the use of the data file as a temporary store for building
> certain reports. It's annoying, but I don't have time to unpick all that
> stuff! So, for now, the data file will have to stay outside the app.

RE: Problems installing built application

> I will experiment with signing BUT I really don't think this is the issue

A quick test to see if your application is in a Translocated (Read-Only) quarantine is to run the following code:

ALERT(APPLICATION FILE)

Then check the output.

If the Path is correct and matches where the application is actually installed, then you have successfully bypassed GateKeeper.

If the Path is wrong and looks like it begins with a UUID, then your application is being Translocated to a Read-Only quarantine due to GateKeeper.
http://forums.4d.com/4DBB_Main/x_User/1178015/files/18720934.png

-Tim

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
Sorry for the delay responding to your suggestion, Tim.

I tried adding that to my code but the app doesn’t even get as far as outputting anything, it just crashes on launch (at the moment).

So I have investigated the whole code signing thing. I tried with a self-signed certificate and then registered with Apple and created a Mac developer certificate using Xcode.

However, I cannot get the app to build. Whichever certificate I specify, it spends a long time at the ‘signing application’ stage and then tells me “Code signature failed".

I think maybe I haven’t got the name of the certificate right in the build parameters, but I’ve entered the name as it appears in Keychain.

In any event, I’m fairly certain that this has nothing to do with Gatekeeper, because I’m not getting a Gatekeeper dialog. I think Gatekeeper only relates to apps which are downloaded from the internet, which this is not.

Also, you surely shouldn’t be able to bypass Gatekeeper simply by altering permissions in Finder?

The current situation is as follows:

1. I build an app (without a certificate), package it and then install using Apple Remote Desktop.
2. If I install into /Users/Shared/AppFolder then I get an array of results. Sometimes the app launches fine, sometimes I get the error messages on launch or quit as described earlier.
3. If I get error messages, then usually applying the folder permissions to its contents will sort the problem until the next installation
3. If I install into /Applications then the app crashes on launch.

Hope someone can help me with this.

Thanks

James

> On 31 Jan 2018, at 21:55, Timothy Penner via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I will experiment with signing BUT I really don't think this is the issue
>
> A quick test to see if your application is in a Translocated (Read-Only) quarantine is to run the following code:
>
> ALERT(APPLICATION FILE)
>
> Then check the output.
>
> If the Path is correct and matches where the application is actually installed, then you have successfully bypassed GateKeeper.
>
> If the Path is wrong and looks like it begins with a UUID, then your application is being Translocated to a Read-Only quarantine due to GateKeeper.
> http://forums.4d.com/4DBB_Main/x_User/1178015/files/18720934.png
>

> -Tim

RE: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
> However, I cannot get the app to build. Whichever certificate I specify, it spends a long time at the ‘signing application’ stage and then tells me “Code signature failed".

Tech Tip: What to do when code signing fails?
http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77853

-Tim

RE: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
Thanks Tim

This got me further down the line, I now know that the problem is "resource
fork, Finder information, or similar detritus not allowed"

However, I have no idea how to prevent 4D from adding such detritus to the
built app!

Following the link in the tech note, I executed "xattr -cr <pathtoapp>" and
tried to sign it again.

This time I got the message "<pathtoapp>: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent:<pathtoapp>/Contents/MacOS/HelperTool"

Can anyone help me unpick this?

Thanks!

James

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

RE: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
> However, I have no idea how to prevent 4D from adding such detritus to the built app!

It's not 4D adding it - it already exists in your source files; check your structure file, your plugins, components, even the installed copy of 4D that you are building against, etc. Use the xattr command to clear the attributes form the source files before you build.

And if you happen to have your structure file saved in a location that is backed up by iCloud, then it will be impossible to clear the extended attributes because iCloud will keep adding it back.

Good luck!

-Tim

RE: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
Hi Tim, many thanks for this.

Does the same go for Dropbox? As that's where I store my structure file…

cheers

James

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

RE: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
Maybe... Why not try removing it and see if it makes a difference?

-Tim

RE: Problems installing built application

OK so the answer to "does Dropbox add extended attributes" was obviously a
resounding "yes".

So I copied my structure, plug-ins and components into my local user folder,
ditched the extended attributes using "xattr -cr <pathtoapp>" and re-built.

Then I ran "xattr -lr <pathtoapp>" to see what I was left with.

I got hundreds of lines like this:

<pathtoapp>/Contents/Native Components/Zip.bundle/Contents/MacOS/Zip:
com.apple.quarantine:
0183;5a22ef6f;Safari;47E0A42C-D852-441A-942E-0CDE9C6157D4

referencing loads of different files in the package and all relating to
com.apple.quarantine.

I tried signing it regardless and got this (again):

<pathtoapp>: code object is not signed at all
In subcomponent: <pathtoapp>/Contents/MacOS/HelperTool

Help!

Cheers

James

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
Well, if you go back to PackageMaker you can build an Installer that is signed with your Developer ID Installer

And in Package, Contents you can go to Scripts, Postinstall and add a script with contents like:

#!/bin/sh

chmod -R 777  '/Applications/MyAppFolder'

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 11:46 AM, macjimbo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Help!
>
> Cheers
>
> James
>

> --
> Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
OK great, thank you. That worked. So now I can install my app successfully
inside the /Applications folder and not get permission errors or crashes.

Next problem - it won't save the location of the 4D Data file between
installations. The first time I launch, I show it where the data file is
located, and that works until I install an upgrade.

As soon as I do that, it's asking for the 4D data file location again.

The preference file for the app (~/Library/4d.com.<appname>.app.plist) shows
the correct path for the data file, so it's definitely been saved in the
preferences file. But the newly installed app seems to ignore the existing
preference file.

The following tech tip refers to a new feature in v15 which lets you store
the data file location in the preference file:

http://kb.4d.com/assetid=77467

but this refers to a preference setting (Use new architecture for
application deployments) which I don't see in my database settings.

However, the fact that it is saving the path in the preference file suggests
that it is using the new architecture anyway. The problem is that it forgets
about it when the upgrade is performed.

I'm running 15.5 on Mac OS 10.13.2

Determined to get this licked, hope someone can help.

Thanks

James

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list

v16, database prefs, New Architecture

anything else?  :)

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 3:36 PM, macjimbo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> that works until I install an upgrade.

Re: Problems installing built application

4D Tech mailing list
I'm not on v16 yet. Does this not work in v15? The tech tip says it works
from 15.4.

Is there no way to get a built application to remember the location of the
data file between application upgrades?

cheers

James

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Problems installing built application

oh, okay you can use Default Data File feature in XML Build Keys,
store last file opened in your own text file, test the data file opened and if it is default look for text file and use Open Data File. there is some trick like calling in a new process maybe...

> On Feb 5, 2018, at 3:36 PM, macjimbo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> 'm running 15.5 on Mac OS 10.13.2

RE: Problems installing built application

> I'm not on v16 yet. Does this not work in v15? The tech tip says it works from 15.4.

The tech tip says v15R4 (not v15.4). This means it is a feature of v16 and it was first made available in v15R4.  However, the feature is not available in v15.x

Here is more information on that feature:
https://blog.4d.com/new-architecture-for-application-deployments/

-Tim