Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

4D Tech mailing list
Hi all.
We are using 4D v17.1 on Windows Server 2056 Datacenter, and have made the transition from PDFCreator to Microsoft Print to PDF.

We have automated reports generating pdfs which are each attached to an email to be sent out.

What we are encountering is that while most pdfs are OK, on rare occasions the pdf is bad and won’t open on either the local machine (stores a copy) or from the sent email.
If that particular report is run again the pdf is fine, so the fault would appear to be with Microsoft Print to PDF.

We have tried adding a 5 second delay between the reports in case the printer was being overwhelmed, but that has had no effect - the occasional bad one still occurs.

Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, have you managed to determine what is causing the “bad” pdfs?
TIA, Keith

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

4D Tech mailing list
Hi Keith,

Just to confirm I've seen issues with PDF's generated from 4D v17R3 using MS PDF driver. This is happening on my Citrix account at a customers site. Acrobat Reader says the document contains an error and cannot be displayed correctly. If I open it on my Mac using Preview, no problem. But Acrobat Reader DC Mac shows the same error message.
The document opens, but only a small part of the 3 page document is displayed. Just he header parts are displayed and on page 2 and 3 even some texts of the header are missing.

I haven't investigated further yet because I did not get complaints of other users. But IIRC this problem I'm seeing started after upgrading from v16 (32bit clients) to v17 (using R3 64 bit). Could not reproduce it in my development environment.

Kind regards,
Koen

> Op 1 apr. 2019, om 05:10 heeft Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:
>
> Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, have you managed to determine what is causing the “bad” pdfs?

--------------------
Compass bvba
Koen Van Hooreweghe
Kloosterstraat 65
9910 Aalter
Belgium
tel +32 495 511.653

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

4D Tech mailing list
Koen, thanks for your reply.
While it is comforting to know I’m not the only one in the 4D world having this problem, it is amazing that we are the only two :-)
I guess we’ll have to look at the pdf plugins available for 4D v17.

4D PDF Printer Plugin ?
I’m under the impression that the only 4D PDF plugin that can be “dropped” into an existing db and will allow you to set it as the “current” printer when printing a 4D report is 4D PDF Printer Plugin from eNode.
If anyone knows that I have got that wrong, please speak up…

Just FYI, and for the archives...
We were using PDFCreator but started encountering problems when using it on Win10 and upwards computers - that was what made us switch to Microsoft Print to PDF.

A Google search shows that others (using other applications) have also run up against this occasional “bad” pdf file generation with Microsoft Print to PDF. I saw no solutions offered.
Cheers, Keith

> On 2/04/2019, at 8:40 pm, Koen Van Hooreweghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
> …
> Just to confirm I've seen issues with PDF's generated from 4D v17R3 using MS PDF driver. This is happening on my Citrix account at a customers site. Acrobat Reader says the document contains an error and cannot be displayed correctly...
>
>> Op 1 apr. 2019, om 05:10 heeft Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> het volgende geschreven:
>>
>> Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, have you managed to determine what is causing the “bad” pdfs?

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

4D Tech mailing list
I think the problems with odd creator o. Windows had to do with 4D as when
I went to 17.1 it started working again.
When using earlier 4D releases no pdf was created own windows at all

Hope this helps

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 9:09 PM Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Koen, thanks for your reply.
> While it is comforting to know I’m not the only one in the 4D world having
> this problem, it is amazing that we are the only two :-)
> I guess we’ll have to look at the pdf plugins available for 4D v17.
>
> 4D PDF Printer Plugin ?
> I’m under the impression that the only 4D PDF plugin that can be “dropped”
> into an existing db and will allow you to set it as the “current” printer
> when printing a 4D report is 4D PDF Printer Plugin from eNode.
> If anyone knows that I have got that wrong, please speak up…
>
> Just FYI, and for the archives...
> We were using PDFCreator but started encountering problems when using it
> on Win10 and upwards computers - that was what made us switch to Microsoft
> Print to PDF.
>
> A Google search shows that others (using other applications) have also run
> up against this occasional “bad” pdf file generation with Microsoft Print
> to PDF. I saw no solutions offered.
> Cheers, Keith
>

> > On 2/04/2019, at 8:40 pm, Koen Van Hooreweghe <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > …
> > Just to confirm I've seen issues with PDF's generated from 4D v17R3
> using MS PDF driver. This is happening on my Citrix account at a customers
> site. Acrobat Reader says the document contains an error and cannot be
> displayed correctly...
> >
> >> Op 1 apr. 2019, om 05:10 heeft Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> het volgende
> geschreven:
> >>
> >> Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, have you managed
> to determine what is causing the “bad” pdfs?

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

Keith,

I’ve experienced issues with V17.1 and printing to pdf. V17.1 64-bit, Windows 10, does not support PDF Creator. You must use Microsoft PDF, as you’ve done. V17.1 32-bit though seems to work fine with PDF Creator, in Win 10.

The issues I’ve had with V17.1 64-bit and Microsoft PDF, were related to images inside the pdf. In my case I’m printing radiology reports with includes multiple DICOM images (CT, X-Ray, MRI, etc). Those images are converted to JPEG/PNG before putting them into the report.
That’s stuff that’s been working since V-12, but now fails in V17.1 64-bit.

One thing I noticed was that when images were converted to JPEG, pdf printing failed all the time. Resulting PDF would not open.
When images are converted to PNG, the resulting PDF seems fine, although a bit larger than expected.

So, for now, I’m using PNG conversion. But this is not yet production, so no idea how that will behave in large scale. I’ve done only limited testing.
I’ve reported that issue to 4D, and they’ve confirmed it, and opened a bug report: ACI0099344. So, I’m waiting for some solution in 17.2, I hope.

Sorry for no being of help and just confirm your findings :-(

cheers,
julio

--
Julio Carneiro

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

afaik, none of the PDF plugins for 4D give you the ability to print to PDF. They provide functionality for you to create and manipulate PDFs, but none gives you what you get with print to PDF Creator/MS PDF.

> On Apr 2, 2019, at 10:09 PM, Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Koen, thanks for your reply.
> While it is comforting to know I’m not the only one in the 4D world having this problem, it is amazing that we are the only two :-)
> I guess we’ll have to look at the pdf plugins available for 4D v17.
>
> 4D PDF Printer Plugin ?
> I’m under the impression that the only 4D PDF plugin that can be “dropped” into an existing db and will allow you to set it as the “current” printer when printing a 4D report is 4D PDF Printer Plugin from eNode.
> If anyone knows that I have got that wrong, please speak up…
>
> Just FYI, and for the archives...
> We were using PDFCreator but started encountering problems when using it on Win10 and upwards computers - that was what made us switch to Microsoft Print to PDF.
>
> A Google search shows that others (using other applications) have also run up against this occasional “bad” pdf file generation with Microsoft Print to PDF. I saw no solutions offered.
> Cheers, Keith
>

>> On 2/04/2019, at 8:40 pm, Koen Van Hooreweghe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> …
>> Just to confirm I've seen issues with PDF's generated from 4D v17R3 using MS PDF driver. This is happening on my Citrix account at a customers site. Acrobat Reader says the document contains an error and cannot be displayed correctly...
>>
>>> Op 1 apr. 2019, om 05:10 heeft Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> het volgende geschreven:
>>>
>>> Has anyone else encountered this problem and, if so, have you managed to determine what is causing the “bad” pdfs?

Julio Carneiro

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

Charles and Julio, thanks for your replies.

On 4/04/2019, Charles Miller wrote:
> I think the problems with odd creator o. Windows had to do with 4D as when
> I went to 17.1 it started working again.
> When using earlier 4D releases no pdf was created own windows at all

Charles, are you saying that you had problems with PDFCreator and that it started working again when you upgraded to 4D v17?

On 4/04/2019, Julio Carneiro wrote:
> …
> One thing I noticed was that when images were converted to JPEG, pdf printing failed all the time. Resulting PDF would not open.
> When images are converted to PNG, the resulting PDF seems fine, although a bit larger than expected.
>
> So, for now, I’m using PNG conversion…
> I’ve reported that issue to 4D, and they’ve confirmed it, and opened a bug report: ACI0099344. So, I’m waiting for some solution in 17.2, I hope.

Julio, we are not directly embedding images in the pdf. While some 4D reports do contain HighCharts graphs (by printing a form that contains a picture variable containing the image of the graph), the majority of the reports contain standard Print selection stuff.
The pdf failures mainly happen with the latter type reports.

If the “bad” pdf’s report is printed again, it works OK.

> afaik, none of the PDF plugins for 4D give you the ability to print to PDF. They provide functionality for you to create and manipulate PDFs, but none gives you what you get with print to PDF Creator/MS PDF.

I’ll have to do some more investigation…
Thanks for the headzup.

In case it matters, this project is an all Windows environment.
The development is done using 4D v17.1 HF1 32 bit, and the deployment is built applications - 64bit for server and 32bit for Client (64bit Client messes up the display of our HighCharts graphs in a web area).
The pdfs are all printed from a Client.

Cheers, Keith
There are 3 kinds of mathematician. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

4D Tech mailing list
Yes when I upgraded to 17.1 using 32 bit client on windows

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 5:44 PM, Keith Goebel via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Charles and Julio, thanks for your replies.
>
> On 4/04/2019, Charles Miller wrote:
>> I think the problems with odd creator o. Windows had to do with 4D as when
>> I went to 17.1 it started working again.
>> When using earlier 4D releases no pdf was created own windows at all
>
> Charles, are you saying that you had problems with PDFCreator and that it started working again when you upgraded to 4D v17?

Re: Problems with Microsoft Print to PDF

4D Tech mailing list
Well, 4D 17.1 32 bit works fine with both PDF Creator and MS PDF. I’ve only seen problems with 64-bit Client/standalone.

julio