Question about storing data outside of datafile

Question about storing data outside of datafile

4D Tech mailing list
Kirk,

Not sure this will help in your situation but this is what we do. This applies to OSX only.

I store all documents (hundreds of thousands) in their native format outside the data file in a directory on the same drive as the 4D datafile. I store the files by client / patient in their own folder with several subfolders. I use Execute on Server to retrieve / save the documents.  I store all the relevant metadata including the relative path of the document in the 4D datafile. I like to keep the 4D datafile as small as reasonable. e.g. for repairs etc.

Now for the backup, I have a separate RAID drive attached to the 4D Server. I use Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the documents folder every 15 minutes. At night, the 4D Server runs the backup to a separate directory on this second drive.

Once the 4D backup is complete, I use Retrospect to backup encrypted to a removable drive that goes offsite and to the cloud.

Just another option.

Mitch