RE: Error connecting to 4D Server - SOLVED

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server - SOLVED

4D Tech mailing list
It was something simple - a recent Windows update on this computer (grrr) changed the Ethernet IP address assignment method from static to dynamic, then, when the computer restarted, a new local IP address was assigned. So in the 4D connection window the database had the old IP address.

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:41:12 -0500
From: "Stephen J. Orth" <[hidden email]>
To: "'4D iNug Technical'" <[hidden email]>
Cc: "'David Rose'" <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Error connecting to 4D Server

David,

I don't have an solution for you but I would love to know how to stop these issues as they are regular problems facing our OEM Clients.

We have talked to our Clients about port time outs, external scanning software, etc.  We have made adjustments on our side where we can...but we just cannot seem to stop these issues.  What is worse, we really don't have any more suggestions for our Clients as this is only linked to 4D.

Steve

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server - SOLVED

4D Tech mailing list
David,

Cool, glad you figured it out.  Wish it was that simple for us...

We have a 24/7 batch processing station at every customer site, and this will suddenly error out with either the -10002 or socket error.

Steve

It was something simple - a recent Windows update on this computer (grrr) changed the Ethernet IP address assignment method from static to dynamic, then, when the computer restarted, a new local IP address was assigned. So in the 4D connection window the database had the old IP address.

Message: 1

RE: Error connecting to 4D Server - SOLVED

4D Tech mailing list

running under windows?
could be caused by an auto update...

Chip
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 15:40:56 -0500, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech wrote:

> David,
>
> Cool, glad you figured it out.  Wish it was that simple for us...
>
> We have a 24/7 batch processing station at every customer site, and
> this will suddenly error out with either the -10002 or socket error.
>

> Steve

Chip,

Yes, we are Windows only.  What do you mean by an auto-update?  A Windows
update?

Steve

Re: Error connecting to 4D Server - SOLVED

The dark-side strikes again!

Sent from my iPhone

> On Apr 3, 2019, at 2:25 PM, David Rose via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> It was something simple - a recent Windows update on this computer (grrr) changed the Ethernet IP address assignment method from static to dynamic, then, when the computer restarted, a new local IP address was assigned. So in the 4D connection window the database had the old IP address.
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:41:12 -0500
> From: "Stephen J. Orth" <[hidden email]>
> To: "'4D iNug Technical'" <[hidden email]>
> Cc: "'David Rose'" <[hidden email]>
> Subject: RE: Error connecting to 4D Server
>
> David,
>
> I don't have an solution for you but I would love to know how to stop these issues as they are regular problems facing our OEM Clients.
>
> We have talked to our Clients about port time outs, external scanning software, etc.  We have made adjustments on our side where we can...but we just cannot seem to stop these issues.  What is worse, we really don't have any more suggestions for our Clients as this is only linked to 4D.
>

> Steve

it is possible to setup windows (including server) to automatically
update the OS.
When this happens the update(s) are installed (default setting is at
3am) and if needed the computer (servers included) restart.

there are updates which can/are installed that do not require a
restart, so it is possible that an update ran over night (or whatever
time it is set for) and this changes something.

My understanding is (I am not using so I am not sure) that Windows 10
(and probably the most recent servers too) have this setting ON and it
is not (easy) to disable this functionality.

Chip

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 16:10:09 -0500, Stephen J. Orth wrote:

> Chip,
>
> Yes, we are Windows only.  What do you mean by an auto-update?  A Windows
> update?
>

> Steve

Its easy to turn off. Control Panel - Windows Update - Change Settings -
Select "Download but choose to install"  Then when you check you can see
which ones to install. If Win server is only running 4D then no need to auto
install updates. Fire wall should block any issues.
Paul

--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html