RES: Text fields when connecting .NET and 4D Server via 4D ODBCDriver

RES: Text fields when connecting .NET and 4D Server via 4D ODBCDriver

Marco Sangali
Hi, Mr. Fletcher,

Actually it's .NET Framework that types the columns when I issue an ODBCCommand with a Select. It's mapping Text fields as String (that's the classname of the Item property in the DataReader for a Text column). Just like it does for the Alpha ones. AFAIK, but I will try to find more about it, I have no way of manually setting the type of a field in .NET within a DataReader.

Also, it doesn't generate any exception or error. The later characters simply don't came in, but the query runs whithout generating any exception. That wasn't the case when using 4D 6.5 ODBC Driver, when I tried to retrieve a row with an Alpha(80) field fully used. I could even log the problem using ODBC Administrator tracing utility.

I'm pretty sure that .NET wrongly typing the text column should be the problem. At the worst case scenario, I could use a Win32 app to get the Text fields, and comunicate with webservices to the bulk of the system made in .NET. Anyway, as it was stated, we cannot use 4D ODBC 2004 with 6.5 even having bought both licenses, so, I'll think in another way of connecting to 4D Server.

Thaks for your help,
Marco

Get under the hood... with 4D 2004's "How Do I?" examples.
http://www.4d.com/products/examples_underhood.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]