Re: Object property inheritance - why does this this not work ?

Re: Object property inheritance - why does this this not work ?

4D Tech mailing list
> ORDA looks really interesting too but I haven't played with it yet, but I'm looking forward to experimenting with it soon.

It’s more than interesting, it’s bringing 4D into the 21st century. It’s the way DB access has been on other platforms for a long time, and it's just way, way superior to the legacy 4D way. Don’t ask me why, just start using it and you’ll see why.

> New formula (that you mentioned) has arrived with 17 R3.

This is probably the most significant addition to the language after objects. Coming from a world outside 4D where functions are first class objects, formulas *finally* let me do stuff that was easy to do in other languages but was impossible to do in 4D. Don’t ask me how. Better to learn Javascript and then see how techniques there can be applied to 4D.

> File management with Path to object and Object to path are really great commands to finally have.

Those are old school. Upgrade to R5 and use File and Folder.

> Of course, what we still need is the ability to create OOP-like Classes in 4D with the associated capabilities like member variables and methods, object instantiation (may be even class reflection), etc.

I’m already doing everything you just mentioned. In fact, I’ve been able to port several npm packages (including expressjs) to 4D. Don’t ask me how. If you have a firm understanding of object oriented languages, just start exploring the possibilities given by objects + formulas.

- Aparajita

Re: Object property inheritance - why does this this not work ?

4D Tech mailing list
That was a very inspiring post.