Re: SOAP examples

David Adams-4
On 7/12/06, Donald M. Koffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Using 4D 2003 on OSX, I need to implement a SOAP client that has to
> supply input parameters as a complex data. I understand I need to
> send it in a blob as XML.
> Does any one have example(s) or advice that I can use to help me to
> understand how to do this? I have David Adam's Summit Course
> documentation on Web Services but am at a loss to find examples
> (e.g., WSDL, XMLasBlobin, XMLasBlobout).

The mechanics of sending the BLOB are pretty straightforward:
-- prepare the XML
-- stuff it into a BLOB
-- set the BLOB as the input parameter with SET WEB SERVICE PARAMETER
-- use CALL WEB SERVICE with the Web Service Manual or Web Service
Manual Input option, depending on your needs

The tricky part is preparing the XML. What should it contain? That
depends entirely on the service you're connecting to. Since you're
developing with 4D 2003, you don't have native XML construction
commands. If you've got some very simple XML to produce, that may not
be a big problem. If you want to make your life easier or have any
complex XML to deal with, get XML Plugin and save yourself a lot of
tedious hassle (www.www.pluggers.nl/xml_plugin.html).

For some examples of manual service interaction, I'd take a look at
some of the specific client demonstrations 4D has put out, such as
"Manage eBay with 4D" (Tech Note 04-51) or the Amazon client
(www.4d.com/2004/examples.html). If you do go through these examples,
keep in mind that it is not necessary to hard-code that much XML.
There's a discussion of alternate strategies in The 4D Web Services
Companion (4dpress.4d.com).

 David Adams
 [hidden email]
  Wallaga Lake 2546 NSW
Get under the hood... with 4D 2004's "How Do I?" examples.
http://www.4d.com/products/examples_underhood.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]

Re: SOAP examples

Donald M. Koffman
Thanks for the links. I plan on using your template approach to
create the XML blob input parameter. I'll look into the examples.

On Jul 11, 2006, at 6:12 PM, David Adams wrote:

> On 7/12/06, Donald M. Koffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Using 4D 2003 on OSX, I need to implement a SOAP client that has to
>> supply input parameters as a complex data. I understand I need to
>> send it in a blob as XML.
>> Does any one have example(s) or advice that I can use to help me to
>> understand how to do this? I have David Adam's Summit Course
>> documentation on Web Services but am at a loss to find examples
>> (e.g., WSDL, XMLasBlobin, XMLasBlobout).
>
> The mechanics of sending the BLOB are pretty straightforward:
> -- prepare the XML
> -- stuff it into a BLOB
> -- set the BLOB as the input parameter with SET WEB SERVICE PARAMETER
> -- use CALL WEB SERVICE with the Web Service Manual or Web Service
> Manual Input option, depending on your needs
>
> The tricky part is preparing the XML. What should it contain? That
> depends entirely on the service you're connecting to. Since you're
> developing with 4D 2003, you don't have native XML construction
> commands. If you've got some very simple XML to produce, that may not
> be a big problem. If you want to make your life easier or have any
> complex XML to deal with, get XML Plugin and save yourself a lot of
> tedious hassle (www.www.pluggers.nl/xml_plugin.html).
>
> For some examples of manual service interaction, I'd take a look at
> some of the specific client demonstrations 4D has put out, such as
> "Manage eBay with 4D" (Tech Note 04-51) or the Amazon client
> (www.4d.com/2004/examples.html). If you do go through these examples,
> keep in mind that it is not necessary to hard-code that much XML.
> There's a discussion of alternate strategies in The 4D Web Services
> Companion (4dpress.4d.com).

> David Adams
> [hidden email]
>  Wallaga Lake 2546 NSW
> Get under the hood... with 4D 2004's "How Do I?" examples.
> http://www.4d.com/products/examples_underhood.html
>
> 4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
> Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
> Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]

Get under the hood... with 4D 2004's "How Do I?" examples.
http://www.4d.com/products/examples_underhood.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]

Re: SOAP examples

David Adams-4
On 7/12/06, Donald M. Koffman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Thanks for the links. I plan on using your template approach to
> create the XML blob input parameter.

That can work perfectly and, if I remember rightly,a lot of different
2003-based XML production techniques are documented in the manual for
the Summit course. Also take a look at the sections that discuss other
tools. When you're doing manual message exchanges, it _really_ helps
to look at the actual message formats with something other than 4D,
such as the Generic SOAP Client (www.soapclient.com/soaptest.html) or
StrikeIron's Web Service Analayzer (Win32 only
www.strikeiron.com/tools/tools_analyzer_windows.aspx).

Post more questions if you run into trouble!