Reasons for Error # -10002

Mark Schaake 4D
I have been stumped on this for a few days now.

I have a server app that is not allowing the client app to connect.
The server starts up just fine, but when trying to connect via the
client app I get error -10002 "Database cannot be used" after some
time passes without a connection being established. I have another
client-server app that I've tested that works just fine, pretty much
the same setup.  I've tried different ports, I've tried interpreted
mode, nothing works.  Any ideas what might be causing this?

I'm running 2004.6r2 server on Windows Server 2003.  Compiled app.

Thanks in advance

Mark Schaake
www.schaakeconsulting.com
509-594-6528 (mobile)
509-965-3208 (fax)

4D Summit 2007 - 4 days of enlightenment and excitement
http://www.4d.com/summit/

4D Summit Networking: http://summit2007.ning.com

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Reasons for Error # -10002

Joshua Fletcher
Hi Mark,

If all clients are failing to connect then one of the following may be true:

-The address of the server is unexpected.
-The port number of the server is unexpected.
-The server is being blocked (firewall on the server or in between).

If only a few clients are failing to connect then the issue is most
likely firewall (or other network related issues) for those clients.

Kind regards,

Josh Fletcher

--
Josh Fletcher
Technical Support Engineer

4D Summit 2007 - 4 days of enlightenment and excitement
http://www.4d.com/summit/

4D Summit Networking: http://summit2007.ning.com

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
Post: mailto:[hidden email]

Re: Reasons for Error # -10002

Walt Nelson
Mark,

Generally, that error is purely network related. Try using some
network testing software to make sure you have a good, reliable, clean
connection between the client and server machines. I doubt it's
anything you're doing in 4D.

Walt

On Sep 10, 2007, at 11:26 AM, Mark Schaake wrote:

> I have been stumped on this for a few days now.
>
> I have a server app that is not allowing the client app to connect.
> The server starts up just fine, but when trying to connect via the
> client app I get error -10002 "Database cannot be used" after some
> time passes without a connection being established. I have another
> client-server app that I've tested that works just fine, pretty much
> the same setup.  I've tried different ports, I've tried interpreted
> mode, nothing works.  Any ideas what might be causing this?
>
> I'm running 2004.6r2 server on Windows Server 2003.  Compiled app.
>
> Thanks in advance
>

> Mark Schaake
> www.schaakeconsulting.com
> 509-594-6528 (mobile)
> 509-965-3208 (fax)

> 4D Summit 2007 - 4 days of enlightenment and excitement
> http://www.4d.com/summit/
>
> 4D Summit Networking: http://summit2007.ning.com
>
> 4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html
> Archive:  http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> Post: mailto:[hidden email]