Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Robert Broussard
When connecting to remote 4D clients (customers) over the internet for service and support--what are you using for remote access these days?  Years ago, I used Timbuktu on the Mac very heavily.  I eventually started to use ARD (Apple Remote Desktop) and OS X Screen Sharing; yet, the inability to access multiple computers via NAT over the internet was an issue....  I have some sites setup to use LogMeIn which works okay.... I like the way that it can transcend firewalls and there is no special setup in the router (as was required via Timbuktu). Also, I've used Teamviewer on occasion too.

Anyway, I'm visiting a new remote client today and I was hoping that I might learn from your remote access experiences. Some technologies or approaches that come to mind are: 1) LogMeIn (but, upgraded so that I don't have to recall the credentials of each computer manually); 2) Establish a VPN connection which would allow ARD (and other tools) to work with multiple computers;  3) Bomgar?  I have no experience with this but one contractor that supplied the hardware for a project uses this tool for remote access.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Robert

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Bernd Fröhlich
Robert ListMail wrote:

> When connecting to remote 4D clients (customers) over the internet for service and support--what are you using for remote access these days?  Years ago, I used Timbuktu on the Mac very heavily.

I still use Timbuktu almost every day.
Occasionaly I use Teamviewer when I have to acces a computer that is not set up for Timbuktu but Teamviewer is nowhere near as fast and reliable as good old Timbuktu.

Greetings from Germany,
Bernd Fröhlich

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Robert Broussard
Yes, I'm a long time user of TB2 and like it too.  Yet sometimes it cannot be properly configured due to lack of router access. I had trouble getting Activation numbers from Netopia so I setup a native VNC screen sharing on the server which seems to work well for now.  In the end, I think a VPN solution would be best. Where I could connect with ARD and have full LAN access.

Thanks,

Robert

On Feb 10, 2014, at 11:26 AM, Bernd Fröhlich <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert ListMail wrote:
>
>> When connecting to remote 4D clients (customers) over the internet for service and support--what are you using for remote access these days?  Years ago, I used Timbuktu on the Mac very heavily.
>
> I still use Timbuktu almost every day.
> Occasionaly I use Teamviewer when I have to acces a computer that is not set up for Timbuktu but Teamviewer is nowhere near as fast and reliable as good old Timbuktu.

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Lo Farnan
Hi the lovely 4D collective.

A vote for TeamViewer from a mainly Windows shop if I may?

Some Mac sites and a long term Timbuktu user but lots of problems getting
Timbuktu configured on some very remote sites and frankly some terrible
Windows support.

LogMeIn next on the list - unstable in our hands and poor performance! Could
just be me :-)

Then TeamViewer...
Performance is very good as far as I can tell - we have some very distant
customers with very poor satellite links (UK to the Falkland Islands for
example).
No configuration issues or problems getting through any routers
Reliable, very stable - Windows, Mac, iPad, IPhone et al.
Not the cheapest, but the ability to host web meetings we find particularly
helpful, we use it to do on-line training and product demonstrations. (These
are things we used to do using Webex at greater expense and with a great
deal more hassle.)
Can't speak as to support as in the 4+ years we've used it we haven't had
call to use it.

Just our experience and I've no plans to look for anything else in the near
future.

FWIW
Best wishes
Lo

Love & Kisses        Tel +44(0)1483 272140
Lo                            Fax +44(0)1483 272141
                                Mobile 07768 693671
Lo Farnan               [hidden email]

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Joshua Fletcher
Random tidbit: not sure if it was mentioned in this thread or not, but be aware that LogMeIn no longer offers a free product:

http://blog.logmein.com/it-management/logmein-changes

Kind regards,

Josh

--
Josh Fletcher
Technical Account Manager

> LogMeIn next on the list - unstable in our hands and poor performance!
> Could
> just be me :-)

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Wayne Stewart
I'll second Lo's opinion of TeamViewer.  This is a fantastic product.

Regards,

Wayne

On 12 February 2014 10:08, Lo Farnan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi the lovely 4D collective.
>
> A vote for TeamViewer from a mainly Windows shop if I may?
>
> Some Mac sites and a long term Timbuktu user but lots of problems getting
> Timbuktu configured on some very remote sites and frankly some terrible
> Windows support.
>
> LogMeIn next on the list - unstable in our hands and poor performance!
> Could
> just be me :-)
>
> Then TeamViewer...
> Performance is very good as far as I can tell - we have some very distant
> customers with very poor satellite links (UK to the Falkland Islands for
> example).
> No configuration issues or problems getting through any routers
> Reliable, very stable - Windows, Mac, iPad, IPhone et al.
> Not the cheapest, but the ability to host web meetings we find particularly
> helpful, we use it to do on-line training and product demonstrations.
> (These
> are things we used to do using Webex at greater expense and with a great
> deal more hassle.)
> Can't speak as to support as in the 4+ years we've used it we haven't had
> call to use it.
>
> Just our experience and I've no plans to look for anything else in the near
> future.
>
> FWIW
> Best wishes
> Lo

> Love & Kisses        Tel +44(0)1483 272140
> Lo                            Fax +44(0)1483 272141
>                                 Mobile 07768 693671
> Lo Farnan               [hidden email]

> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
> your applications richer and faster
> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Larry White, P.Eng.
We use team viewer to support clients all over the world.  Works well.

Another product to have a look at is screenhero, it works well too but not
as well as team viewer

Cheers,

--
Larry

On 2/11/14, 7:52 PM, "Wayne Stewart" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>I'll second Lo's opinion of TeamViewer.  This is a fantastic product.
>
>Regards,
>
>Wayne
>

>On 12 February 2014 10:08, Lo Farnan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi the lovely 4D collective.
>>
>> A vote for TeamViewer from a mainly Windows shop if I may?
>>
>> Some Mac sites and a long term Timbuktu user but lots of problems
>>getting
>> Timbuktu configured on some very remote sites and frankly some terrible
>> Windows support.
>>
>> LogMeIn next on the list - unstable in our hands and poor performance!
>> Could
>> just be me :-)
>>
>> Then TeamViewer...
>> Performance is very good as far as I can tell - we have some very
>>distant
>> customers with very poor satellite links (UK to the Falkland Islands for
>> example).
>> No configuration issues or problems getting through any routers
>> Reliable, very stable - Windows, Mac, iPad, IPhone et al.
>> Not the cheapest, but the ability to host web meetings we find
>>particularly
>> helpful, we use it to do on-line training and product demonstrations.
>> (These
>> are things we used to do using Webex at greater expense and with a great
>> deal more hassle.)
>> Can't speak as to support as in the 4+ years we've used it we haven't
>>had
>> call to use it.
>>
>> Just our experience and I've no plans to look for anything else in the
>>near
>> future.
>>
>> FWIW
>> Best wishes
>> Lo

>> Love & Kisses        Tel +44(0)1483 272140
>> Lo                            Fax +44(0)1483 272141
>>                                 Mobile 07768 693671
>> Lo Farnan               [hidden email]

>> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
>> your applications richer and faster
>> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html
>>
>> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

>4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
>your applications richer and faster
>http://www.4d.com/products/new.html
>
>4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
>Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
>Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Jack des Bouillons
Just a contrary opinion...

We tried to setup TeamViewer for remote access into our system...it worked
for awhile, then failed.  Did a reinstall..worked for awhile, then
stopped...repeat...repeat...gave up..

WE now used LogMeIn.  Had a few hiccups, but support was good...been running
for about 6 months now with no problems.

Jack des Bouillons

On 2/11/14 4:02 PM, "Larry White, P.Eng." <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We use team viewer to support clients all over the world.  Works well.
>
> Another product to have a look at is screenhero, it works well too but not
> as well as team viewer
>
> Cheers,
>

> --
> Larry

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Spencer Hinsdale-2
We include team viewer in built client-server so it's in automatic client updates.  Any client can run it in 2 clicks--no download or setup.

-spencer

> [...]
>>>                                Mobile 07768 693671
>>> Lo Farnan               [hidden email]
>>> *******************************************

>>> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
>>> your applications richer and faster
>>> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html
>>>
>>> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
>>> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
>>> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]

>> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
>> your applications richer and faster
>> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html
>>
>> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
> your applications richer and faster
> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make

Timothy Penner
For me, my preferred remote control software depends on the source and destination OS:

Win -> Win = RDP using 'Remote Desktop Connection' built in to Windows
Win -> Mac = VNC using 'RealVNC Client' (free)
Mac -> Mac = VNC using 'Screen Sharing' built in to Mac OS
Mac -> Win = RDP using 'Microsoft Remote Desktop' from the Apple App Store

Regarding TeamViewer, I think a recent update stopped the 'free' version from working for more than 5 minutes...

-Tim

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Randy Engle
Hi Spencer,

So, does TeamViewer require an installation of an executable on the
customer's machine?
Is this what you are including in the build?
Or what?

FYI, we've been using Webex for 10 years
Good product, our own branded website, etc.
But, Time to maybe let go.

Thanks

Randy Engle

> We include team viewer in built client-server so it's in automatic client
> updates.  Any client can run it in 2 clicks--no download or setup.
>
> -spencer

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Timothy Penner
Regarding TeamViewer and including it within your application - it looks like they have a site to help you build a custom module branded with your logo and product name: https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/customdesign.aspx - It appears to be a single .exe file that is generated by this page.

There is a note at the top of this page that states: A license is required to establish a permanent connection to a customer module with own logo. For test purposes, you can also use the module in conjunction with the free version. However, in this case the connections are automatically interrupted after five minutes.

-Tim

So, does TeamViewer require an installation of an executable on the customer's machine?
Is this what you are including in the build?
Or what?

FYI, we've been using Webex for 10 years Good product, our own branded website, etc.
But, Time to maybe let go.

Thanks

Randy Engle

> We include team viewer in built client-server so it's in automatic
> client updates.  Any client can run it in 2 clicks--no download or setup.
>
> -spencer

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make your applications richer and faster http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Spencer Hinsdale-2

Yes, we just put Teamviewer QuickSupport into 4D Server and Volume Runtime Resources folders (so its in built server and automatic client updaters).

Then have a button in the about box:
http://www.bigbusiness.com/solutions/6334

and some code:
If (Not(RunningOnAMac ))  //4367 Windows // (False)
$appfolder:=GetFolderFromPath (Application file)
$runpath:=$appfolder+"/Resources/TeamViewerQS_en-idcgyqtptt.exe"
LAUNCH EXTERNAL PROCESS($runpath)
Else
$appfolder:=GetFolderFromPath (Application file)
$testpath:=$appfolder+"TeamViewerQS.app"
If (Test path name($testpath)<0)
$zippath:=ST Convert Mac To Unix Path (Application file)+"/Contents/Resources/TeamViewer QuickSupport.zip"
$unzipfolder:=ST Convert Mac To Unix Path ($appfolder)
ST Do Shell Command ("unzip "+Char(Quote)+$zippath+Char(Quote)+" -d "+Char(Quote)+$unzipfolder+Char(Quote))
End if
$runpath:=ST Convert Mac To Unix Path ($testpath)
LAUNCH EXTERNAL PROCESS("open "+Char(Quote)+$runpath+Char(Quote))  //4360
End if

On the Mac it needs to be moved out of the package to run.  ST is Scripting Tools:
http://www.pluggers.nl/products/scripting-tools/

-spencer

On Feb 11, 2014, at 4:55 PM, Randy Engle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Spencer,
>
> So, does TeamViewer require an installation of an executable on the
> customer's machine?
> Is this what you are including in the build?
> Or what?

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

+1 - the new version of Microsoft Remote Desktop is pretty nice.

On Feb 11, 2014, at 7:54 PM, Timothy Penner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mac -> Win = RDP using 'Microsoft Remote Desktop' from the Apple App Store

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Alan Chan
We have been using RealVNC for all of our server installation. It's fast
and reliable even on high latency connection.

Our support team always connecting from home to our office, then connect
to customer's site through another RealVNC connection from our office if
our customers' firewall only allow our office's IP going through. Home ->
Office -> Customer.

Of course, you could access it with iPhone and iPad.

Alan Chan

Le 12 févr. 2014 à 01:16, Jack Des Bouillons a écrit :

> Just a contrary opinion...
>
> We tried to setup TeamViewer for remote access into our system...it worked
> for awhile, then failed.  Did a reinstall..worked for awhile, then
> stopped...repeat...repeat...gave up..

On Mac I use both logmein (lmi) and teamviewer(tw): at first glance, the former looks ugly. But it's faster (compared side to side) and more reliable. I often encounter problems with tw, like cursor becoming invisible, loss of connection, input chars not working…

BTW, lmi allows to control early during startup, the login window is managed. Someone can tell if tw has this too (never had the opportunity to test)?

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Keith Goebel
The timing of this thread is a strange co-incidence...
Last week I tried to connect to a site using TeamViewer from my OSX10.6.8 iMac.
Teamviewer crashes out as soon as I try to enter the password.
Sent the TeamViewer log to their support email but haven't heard back.
There must be something weird about my mac's setup as a colleague has the same OS and can use it without problems.
Cheers, Keith

> Just a contrary opinion...
>
> We tried to setup TeamViewer for remote access into our system...it worked
> for awhile, then failed.  Did a reinstall..worked for awhile, then
> stopped...repeat...repeat...gave up...

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Robert Broussard
Tim, when connecting Mac to Mac via built in screen sharing how do you traverse NAT? How do you control more than one computer behind a router....?

Thanks,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 11, 2014, at 6:54 PM, Timothy Penner <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> For me, my preferred remote control software depends on the source and destination OS:
>
> Win -> Win = RDP using 'Remote Desktop Connection' built in to Windows
> Win -> Mac = VNC using 'RealVNC Client' (free)
> Mac -> Mac = VNC using 'Screen Sharing' built in to Mac OS
> Mac -> Win = RDP using 'Microsoft Remote Desktop' from the Apple App Store
>
> Regarding TeamViewer, I think a recent update stopped the 'free' version from working for more than 5 minutes...
>
> -Tim

> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
> your applications richer and faster
> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Robert Broussard
I'm currently using LogMeIn, OSX screen sharing  and Timbuktu. The most recent setup for remote access ended up being Timbuktu. The client had an Enterprise license and I was able to program the router for the proper port forwarding and the speed is amazing. It seems much faster than any other method. Of course it requires more setup and when mobile devices are removed from that LAN connectivity is lost.

In the end, I expect to be using something like: Teamviewer, LMI, or Bomgar since it allows connections through NAT and firewalls (?). I need to take a better look at the costs. When I look at the website for LMI often the pricing scheme and product line are not obvious.

Thanks,

Robert

Sent from my iPhone

> On Feb 11, 2014, at 11:10 AM, Robert ListMail <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Yes, I'm a long time user of TB2 and like it too.  Yet sometimes it cannot be properly configured due to lack of router access. I had trouble getting Activation numbers from Netopia so I setup a native VNC screen sharing on the server which seems to work well for now.  In the end, I think a VPN solution would be best. Where I could connect with ARD and have full LAN access.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Robert
>
>> On Feb 10, 2014, at 11:26 AM, Bernd Fröhlich <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Robert ListMail wrote:
>>
>>> When connecting to remote 4D clients (customers) over the internet for service and support--what are you using for remote access these days?  Years ago, I used Timbuktu on the Mac very heavily.
>>
>> I still use Timbuktu almost every day.
>> Occasionaly I use Teamviewer when I have to acces a computer that is not set up for Timbuktu but Teamviewer is nowhere near as fast and reliable as good old Timbuktu.

> 4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
> your applications richer and faster
> http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: Remote Access to 4D Clients...

Koen Van Hooreweghe
Hi Robert,

I'm using the OSX built in ARD to manage remote Macs.
For this I do:
1. give the remote macs a fixed LAN IP address
2. setup port forwarding in the router
3. open a session using : vnc://username:password@wanipaddress:portnumber

The port forwarding for eg 2 Macs in the same remote network can be
something like
TCP, 10001 - 10001 to 5900 for 192.168.1.101
TCP, 10002 - 10002 to 5900 fro 192.168.1.102

I use 4D to store the settings and call:
OPEN WEB URL("vnc://username:[hidden email]:10001")

HTH
Koen

Op 17-feb-14, om 05:10 heeft Robert ListMail het volgende geschreven: