[Repost] Problems with Print Record

C Walter Johnson
4D 2003.8, Windows XP

I am implementing a menu item for printing records. When the record has multiple pages I
have several different problems. I successfully use Print Form for much of my printing,
but I have elected to use Print Record for this, not Print Form, because I want all the
included forms to print, most of which are list forms. I recognize that for printing,
everything has to be on the same form page, so I have constructed a printing form that
uses three printed pages for a single form page, because there is too much data to go on a
single printed page.

The first time I posted this problem there was no response, so I am trying again. I really
need your help. Here are the problems I am having.

1) I have forgotten the rules for placing objects on a printing form, especially when it
comes to included forms. I would very much appreciate a pointer to some documentation of
this (the official 4D documentation leaves out all of this essential stuff. Why, oh why?).
MonkeyWerks is down, and I can't figure out how to frame the search phrase to get much out
of Google Groups 4DTech. I would very much like a pointer to any locations where I can
read what I need to learn on this topic.

2) I think I remember that nothing else should be at the same vertical position as an
included form, so I have carefully given each one its own vertical space, shared with
nothing else. Nevertheless, they show up in positions that seem to bear no relationship to
the positions where I place them on the form; even on top of each other. What would
prevent this? And each label placed just above an included form appears with the included
form in most cases, but each one also appears again, on a fourth sheet that I did not
specify. Why?

3) In the place where vertical paper lines appear, if I don't place the data for the new
page at least 30 points below the paper line, it gets printed on the previous sheet of
paper.  That feels to me like a bug.

Your help is very much needed and will be greatly appreciated.

Walt

Learn by example. Download free 4D 2004 example applications today!
http://www.4d.com/2004/examples.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]

Re: [Repost] Problems with Print Record

Joshua Fletcher
Hi Walt,

I am not sure about your printing issues but:

C Walter Johnson wrote:
> MonkeyWerks is down, and I can't figure out how to frame the search phrase to get much out
> of Google Groups 4DTech.

You can also search GMANE (which archives this list):

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech

Kind regards,

Josh Fletcher

--
Josh Fletcher
Technical Support Engineer

Learn by example. Download free 4D 2004 example applications today!
http://www.4d.com/2004/examples.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]

Re: [Repost] Problems with Print Record

mikey-2
Walt,
Since your question is sort of generic as to the problems you are
having, I guess I would ask this:  Why not use Print Form to print the
included forms, too?

For me Print Form is usually a last resort (I generally prefer PRINT
SELECTION or PRINT RECORD), so I'm not trying to convert you off your
choice, I'm just trying to understand what's going on.

Mike.
   and did a little diving.
And God said, "This is good."
Learn by example. Download free 4D 2004 example applications today!
http://www.4d.com/2004/examples.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  <http://www.4d.com/support/faqnug.html>
Archive:  <http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech>
Unsub:  mailto:  [hidden email]

Re: [Repost] Problems with Print Record

C Walter Johnson
"Josh Fletcher (4D, Inc.)" <[hidden email]> posted:

> You can also search GMANE (which archives this list):

> http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.inug-4d.tech

Thank you very much Josh. I can see that that is going to be a valuable resource.

"Mikey" <[hidden email]> posted:

> Since your question is sort of generic as to the problems you are
> having, I guess I would ask this:  Why not use Print Form to print the
> included forms, too?
<Snip>