Running 4D into a Docker container and shipping it

Running 4D into a Docker container and shipping it

Balinder Walia
Hi 4Dears,

Another crazy question again: Is anyone running 4D in a Docker container or
tried it? So Let's say we have a typical 4D server running as a service in
a VM such as Virtual Box, and then running windows server in VM in a
Docker...

4D->Windows->Virtual Box->Docker container.

I think it is worth exploring especially for shipping new version of 4D
easily to a cluster of 4D web apps (backend servers may be 4D http
services) behind CloudFront or NGINX etc.?

The pros and cons please?

Balinder

Re: Running 4D into a Docker container and shipping it

Paul Dennis
Hello Balinder,

I run 4d server in hyperv vm all the time. For me it doesnt seem to make sense to use a different hypervisor for windows client. I have been looking into the new types of vm guest on windows 2016 which includes docker. From what I can gather it's a question of portability rather than performance. This is a real issue for me so at the moment I'm going to stick with normal windows hyperv vm as guest.
Cheers
Paul

Re: Running 4D into a Docker container and shipping it

Balinder Walia
Hey Paul,

Thanks for your response. Yes one issue is 4D uses vm type *hyperv*. I am
more  interested in AWS and they use *Xen*. What will be really good if we
can ship 4D apps as Docker images for Mac and Windows and users just run
get the latest version of the apps via Docker. Another issue would be where
to keep .4DD file + resources and managing Read and Write areas for users
content and Read only App etc...I am not sure if 4d engineering team have
tried Docker as a platform or thinking about supporting it in future...

The best is to try it myself...I am going to try it.and feedback here.

Balinder

On 2 February 2017 at 09:01, Paul Dennis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Balinder,
>
> I run 4d server in hyperv vm all the time. For me it doesnt seem to make
> sense to use a different hypervisor for windows client. I have been looking
> into the new types of vm guest on windows 2016 which includes docker. From
> what I can gather it's a question of portability rather than performance.
> This is a real issue for me so at the moment I'm going to stick with normal
> windows hyperv vm as guest.
> Cheers
> Paul

Re: Running 4D into a Docker container and shipping it

Brent Raymond
Hi Balinder!  So, how did it go with Docker 4D?  Did you get it to work?  I just starting playing around with Docker a bit myself and had similar questions as you...

Thanks!

Brent