SEND / RECEIVE RECORD questions

4D Tech mailing list
Hi folks,
I have never really used SEND RECORD and RECEIVE RECORD. I get the theory
of it and the docs explain the mechanism. I'm wondering what happens when
you attempt to use them and the structures have changed? Or tables or
fields were re-named?

And what about changes across 4D versions? Like attempting to RECEIVE
RECORD in v13+ from a file created by v11 or v2004?

I'm also assuming the tables are matched by the "new" UUID instead of table
name - yes? Or is it table number since I'm not sure there was a UUID when
SEND RECORD was created.

And maybe I'm overthinking the whole issue. Anyway, I would appreciate some
insight from those of you who have used these commands a lot over the
years.

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: SEND / RECEIVE RECORD questions

4D Tech mailing list
RECEIVE R. command is capable of processing records sent from pre-v11 versions,
it looks at the header and converts ANSI to Unicode text as necessary.

> 2017/08/11 5:51、Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> のメール:
> And what about changes across 4D versions? Like attempting to RECEIVE
> RECORD in v13+ from a file created by v11 or v2004?

Re: SEND / RECEIVE RECORD questions

4D Tech mailing list
Miyako,
Thanks for the reassurance. Does the matching work based on the table/field
names or numbers?

On Thu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:05 PM, Keisuke Miyako via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> RECEIVE R. command is capable of processing records sent from pre-v11
> versions,
> it looks at the header and converts ANSI to Unicode text as necessary.
>
> > 2017/08/11 5:51、Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> のメール:
> > And what about changes across 4D versions? Like attempting to RECEIVE
> > RECORD in v13+ from a file created by v11 or v2004?

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: SEND / RECEIVE RECORD questions

I’ve done this a lot over the years.

You send from a specific table. Likewise, you receive into a specific table.

The receive goes in field order. Internally, the datafile keeps a mini-structure map for each record that is written at the time the record is written. Then, if you change a field from string to text, 4D will translate the field when you read it, and update the map when that record is rewritten. And, as I recall, additional fields in the receiving record will be set to blank/zero/false as appropriate.

Just watch if you have an indexed field that is set to unique in the new structure and you have duplicates in the old table records. The import will just stop.

> On Aug 10, 2017, at 1:51 PM, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
> I have never really used SEND RECORD and RECEIVE RECORD. I get the theory
> of it and the docs explain the mechanism. I'm wondering what happens when
> you attempt to use them and the structures have changed? Or tables or
> fields were re-named?
>
> And what about changes across 4D versions? Like attempting to RECEIVE
> RECORD in v13+ from a file created by v11 or v2004?
>
> I'm also assuming the tables are matched by the "new" UUID instead of table
> name - yes? Or is it table number since I'm not sure there was a UUID when
> SEND RECORD was created.
>
> And maybe I'm overthinking the whole issue. Anyway, I would appreciate some
> insight from those of you who have used these commands a lot over the
> years.
>

> --
> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
>
> *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.*
>
> *- Edmund Burke*

Bob McKeever                      http://www.mswl.com <http://www.mswl.com/>
McKeever's Software Wizardry