SMTP error 10064

macjimbo
I posted this a while back but couldn't find a solution. It's driving my staff mad now so I need to fix it.

I'm sometimes getting error 10064 when attempting to use SMTP_Send. The problem suddenly presents itself and no email will send until I quit 4D and relaunch, at which point everything is fine again for a while.

I'm using Kerio Connect (mail server) on our LAN, and the clients connect directly to it (i.e. not via the internet). The mail server starts a session and sends a greeting, and then 30 seconds later reports that the connection is lost. 4D on the other hand says that no response was received. So I guess 4D is not receiving the greeting.

I'm on 4D v13.1, on Macs, this has happened both interpreted and compiled.  Unfortunately though it's completely unpredictable and I can't figure out how to make it happen in the development environment. It seems that, after a period of sending several successful emails, 4D will suddenly start chucking this error and the only way to make it stop is to quit & relaunch.

No other mail client seems to have this difficulty so it's hard to think of blaming my mail server.

If anyone can help me with troubleshooting steps or logs to read then I'd be grateful

Cheers

James

Waveney River Centre

The Norfolk Broads National Park's
Premiere Holiday Park & Marina

David Bellamy Gold Conservation Award 2009 - 2012/13
The Yacht Harbour Association 5 Gold Anchors
Practical Boat Owner Green Award 2010 (Marine Service & Support)
Winner EDP Norfolk Tourism Best Caravan or Holiday Park Award 2010
Winner EDP Norfolk Tourism Best Broads Holiday Experience 2010
Winner EDP Norfolk Tourism Customer Care Award 2010

Tel: +44 (0) 1502-677343
Fax: +44 (0) 1502-677566
Email: [hidden email]

Find us on the web: http://www.waveneyrivercentre.co.uk

Waveney River Centre is home to the world's largest steel pike, we believe - get all the latest news on Eddie's blog - http://www.afishcallededdie.com/

Eddie on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/afishcallededdie
Eddie on Twitter - http://twitter.com/fishcallededdie

Waveney River Centre (2003) Ltd.

UK Company registration number 4887417.
Registered office: Bankside 300, Peachman Way, Broadland Business Park, Norwich NR7 0LB
VAT registration number GB 823 9428 15

The information contained in this email is intended only for the person or organisation to which it is addressed. If you have received it by mistake, please disregard and notify the sender immediately. Unauthorised disclosure or use of such information may be a breach of legislation or confidentiality and may be legally privileged.
Waveney River Centre (2003) Ltd.

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

RE: SMTP error 10064

David R
James,

If the server response is not correctly formatted, or if your SMTP client
connection is looking for something the server did not include in the
response, like a special end-of-line character, then it may fail.

Hth,
David Ringsmuth

Re: SMTP error 10064

davegradwell
Hi James,

You are probably aware of this but you can enable debug logging in Kerio by right-clicking anywhere in the debug log viewer and choosing 'Messages' from the contextual menu.  Select 'SMTP Server'.

Best Regards,

Dave.

On 1 Jul 2013, at 15:02, James Knight wrote:

> I posted this a while back but couldn't find a solution. It's driving my staff mad now so I need to fix it.
>
> I'm sometimes getting error 10064 when attempting to use SMTP_Send. The problem suddenly presents itself and no email will send until I quit 4D and relaunch, at which point everything is fine again for a while.
>
> I'm using Kerio Connect (mail server) on our LAN, and the clients connect directly to it (i.e. not via the internet). The mail server starts a session and sends a greeting, and then 30 seconds later reports that the connection is lost. 4D on the other hand says that no response was received. So I guess 4D is not receiving the greeting.
>
> I'm on 4D v13.1, on Macs, this has happened both interpreted and compiled.  Unfortunately though it's completely unpredictable and I can't figure out how to make it happen in the development environment. It seems that, after a period of sending several successful emails, 4D will suddenly start chucking this error and the only way to make it stop is to quit & relaunch.
>
> No other mail client seems to have this difficulty so it's hard to think of blaming my mail server.
>
> If anyone can help me with troubleshooting steps or logs to read then I'd be grateful
>
> Cheers
>
> James

4D v13 is available now - with more than 200 new features to make
your applications richer and faster
http://www.4d.com/products/new.html

Re: SMTP error 10064

Peter Mew-3
Hi
I had a similar problem with the mail server taking to long to respond to
mail being sent from 4D
I increased the timeout time for the sever to respond and the problem
disappeared.
Maybe your servers response time is on the edge of the default 30 secs
timeout

HTH
-pm

On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 3:02 PM, James Knight <[hidden email]