Scanner automation

Kenneth Geiger
Hi All,

I'm in the design stage of re-developing an ancient database my customer
has been using since the mid-80's into 4D. The users are not very
computer-literate. They have to deal with a lot of physical paper for each
of their clients which presently reside in numerous file cabinets. To work
with a client, they need to go pull the physical file and sift-through the
paperwork. One of their new-feature asks is to make this client paperwork
available on-screen. The environment will be Windows 10 and Server 2012 R2
with about 20-users. I'd like to see it function like this... The user
displays a client info screen. There would be a <Capture Image> button.
When clicked, a dialog would be presented where the user could enter a
file-name (or 4D would auto-generate a file name) and enter a brief
document description . There would be a <Scan> button. When clicked, this
would activate the scanner and when finished the document would be saved
with a link to the client. Any suggestions for how to proceed would be MOST
appreciated. Any suggestions as to the best or easiest scanner hardware to
integrate (Fujitsu ScanSnap??) into this application would also be MOST
appreciated. I don't foresee that the scanner would need to be on the
network - it could be direct-conneted to one user's workstation who would
be responsible for scanning the documents into the system.

TIA,

Ken Geiger
Dolores, CO

Re: Scanner automation

cswirth
Kenneth,

We've done a variety of scanning and document storage solutions for our in-house app, including having 4D read a barcode on a pdf and then file the document in the appropriate place. How can I get in touch with you off line?

Regards,
Scott Wirth
PhenoPath Laboratories
Seattle, WA

Re: Scanner automation

Kenneth Geiger
Scott,

My email address is [hidden email]. I really appreciate the info!

Regards,

Ken Geiger

On Fri, Nov 4, 2016 at 4:58 PM, cswirth <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kenneth,
>
> We've done a variety of scanning and document storage solutions for our
> in-house app, including having 4D read a barcode on a pdf and then file the
> document in the appropriate place. How can I get in touch with you off
> line?
>
> Regards,
> Scott Wirth
> PhenoPath Laboratories
> Seattle, WA

Re: Scanner automation

Since you are Windows platform only, Orchard Software provides a free and open source plug-in named Win32API that can control scanners (and cameras, microscopes, etc.) via TWAIN.

https://github.com/OrchardSoftware/4D-Win32API

> On Nov 4, 2016, at 6:28 PM, Kenneth Geiger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> There would be a <Scan> button. When clicked, this
> would activate the scanner and when finished the document would be saved
> with a link to the client. Any suggestions for how to proceed would be MOST
> appreciated.

Re: Scanner automation

cswirth
Ken,

I'm not sure my email message, send via this forum< got through to you... I got an error "missing domain." Have you received anything?

Scott Wirth

Re: Scanner automation

Kenneth Geiger
Scott,

No, I did not receive anything from you. My email is [hidden email].

Again, thanks much!

Ken Geiger