Sending Text Messages From 4D

4D Tech mailing list
I have a client that has asked me to add the option to send text messages to cell phones from 4D. I know this is possible via some websites or web services for a fee. Has anyone done this and can recommend a web service that you were able to use from 4D to do this?

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

4D Tech mailing list
I know the Bertrand Soubeyrand provide a product doing this.
https://www.soubeyrand-4d-developer.eu/

-----
Patrick EMANUEL
Administrator
www.association-qualisoft.eu
(Soft1002, Simply Asso & QS_Toolbox)
--
Sent from: http://4d.1045681.n5.nabble.com/4D-Tech-f1376241.html

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

Tim, we've been using Twilio with a lot of success.

https://www.twilio.com/sms

Darin

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:04 AM Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I have a client that has asked me to add the option to send text messages
> to cell phones from 4D. I know this is possible via some websites or web
> services for a fee. Has anyone done this and can recommend a web service
> that you were able to use from 4D to do this?
>
> Tim

> Tim Nevels
> Innovative Solutions
> 785-749-3444

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

4D Tech mailing list
Same here.

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 10:10 AM, Darin Schroeder via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim, we've been using Twilio with a lot of success.
>
> https://www.twilio.com/sms

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

I have been using http://plivo.com and it has worked well. I use it for sending out PIN #s for people to use when logging in.

Dani

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 8:10 AM, Darin Schroeder via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Tim, we've been using Twilio with a lot of success.
>
> https://www.twilio.com/sms
>
> Darin
>
> On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 9:04 AM Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I have a client that has asked me to add the option to send text messages
>> to cell phones from 4D. I know this is possible via some websites or web
>> services for a fee. Has anyone done this and can recommend a web service
>> that you were able to use from 4D to do this?
>>
>> Tim

>> Tim Nevels
>> Innovative Solutions
>> 785-749-3444
>> [hidden email]

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

This has been working for us, but we only use it occasionally.

$err:=SMTP_QuickSend ($Host;$FromAddress;$msgTo;$subject;$message;0;25;$vAuthUserName;$sequence)
where $msgTo is a text/phone# like [hidden email]

Keith - CDI

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 9:04 AM, Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I have a client that has asked me to add the option to send text messages to cell phones from 4D. I know this is possible via some websites or web services for a fee. Has anyone done this and can recommend a web service that you were able to use from 4D to do this?
>
> Tim

> Tim Nevels
> Innovative Solutions
> 785-749-3444

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

Tim,

We had a need to send texts to company employees so we have the luxury of knowing the cell phone provider.  So, we use something like this…

Case of

: ([User]Company Cell Phone Provider="AT&T")

aEmailAddress{1}:=$cellPhoneNum+"@txt.att.net"

emSEND EMAIL ("Linbeck Lean Video";<>CR+[Video]Web Address;$fromAddress;"aEmailAddress";"";"";"")

: ([User]Company Cell Phone Provider="Verizon")

aEmailAddress{1}:=$cellPhoneNum+"@vtext.com"

emSEND EMAIL ("Linbeck Lean Video";<>CR+[Video]Web Address;$fromAddress;"aEmailAddress";"";"";"")

End case

Jim Hassler

On Aug 22, 2018, at 2:00 PM, Jim Hassler wrote:

> We had a need to send texts to company employees so we have the luxury of knowing the cell phone provider.  So, we use something like this…
>
> Case of
>
>    : ([User]Company Cell Phone Provider="AT&T")
>
>       aEmailAddress{1}:=$cellPhoneNum+"@txt.att.net"
>
>       emSEND EMAIL ("Linbeck Lean Video";<>CR+[Video]Web Address;$fromAddress;"aEmailAddress";"";"";"")
>

>    : ([User]Company Cell Phone Provider="Verizon")
>
>       aEmailAddress{1}:=$cellPhoneNum+"@vtext.com"
>
>       emSEND EMAIL ("Linbeck Lean Video";<>CR+[Video]Web Address;$fromAddress;"aEmailAddress";"";"";"")

Thanks for the info. Several people have responded that most providers have a free email service that allows sending a text. I’d love to be able to do this, but for this client it’s just not possible to always get the person’s cell phone provider. So we will have to use a pay service.

Of all the SMS web services out there twilio.com seems to be the most popular with 4D developers. I have a few say they can provide me with some code to do the http work with Twilio’s API. So I’ll probably go that route.

It was a bit unclear to me exactly what the cost is with Twilio. Their website lists many services available for sending and receiving SMS and even MMS. From what I could gather it costs about $1.00 a month for the pay-as-you-go option, and 1 cent for each SMS sent.

It is not exactly 1 cent for every SMS because you pay Twilio $0.0075 for each SMS and they you pay another fee to the carrier of the person’s cell phone. AT&T is $0.0025 per SMS and Sprint is $0.005 per SMS. In any event the cost seems incredibly low.

If someone knows the exact pricing scheme for Twilio, I’d love to hear it. I’m not sure I completely understand it.

One other question is do you need a cell phone account to send SMS with Twilio? If so, I guess the company could get a cell phone for the business and just never use it. It would be just so you could send SMS via 4D.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

RE: Sending Text Messages From 4D

Tim,

I’ve integrated https://www.data24-7.com/index.php#pricing into one 4D system.

It’s fairly cheap ($12/mo + $0.005 per lookup), and the lookups are stored locally, so they are one-time.

David Ringsmuth

I have a client that has asked me to add the option to send text messages to cell phones from 4D. I know this is possible via some websites or web services for a fee. Has anyone done this and can recommend a web service that you were able to use from 4D to do this?

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

Re: Sending Text Messages From 4D

I used clickatell for a 4D summit presentation a few years back.  It
allowed two way communication.

Regards,

Wayne