Server Specs for 4Dv15/16 under Windows Server 2016

Server Specs for 4Dv15/16 under Windows Server 2016

I’ve been requested to provide the optimal server specifications for running 4Dv15 or 16 with regards to the CPU, memory and disk requirements for a new VM running Windows Server 2016.

Other than the hard disk requirements which is dependent on the data size and the projected rate of growth, does any one have any recommendations in this regard?

Regards,
Ronnie
Tarawerkz

Re: Server Specs for 4Dv15/16 under Windows Server 2016

4D Tech mailing list

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 05:19, Ronnie Teo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I’ve been requested to provide the optimal server specifications for running 4Dv15 or 16 with regards to the CPU, memory and disk requirements for a new VM running Windows Server 2016.
>
> Other than the hard disk requirements which is dependent on the data size and the projected rate of growth, does any one have any recommendations in this regard?

Hi,

I would check how many VMs are sharing the same network interface.

Milan

Re: Server Specs for 4Dv15/16 under Windows Server 2016

Hi Milan,

Thanks for your mail.  Could you please elaborate more about the significance of the number of VMs on the same network interface?

I’m totally new to Windows Server 2016, so am quite clueless as to its requirements….
Also, say given a datafile file size of about 6GB, with about 30 users +/- at any one time, what would you recommend by way of hardware specs for the server and the amount of RAM to allocate?

Regards,
Ronnie

> On 1 Aug 2017, at 10:08 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
>

>> On Aug 1, 2017, at 05:19, Ronnie Teo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I’ve been requested to provide the optimal server specifications for running 4Dv15 or 16 with regards to the CPU, memory and disk requirements for a new VM running Windows Server 2016.
>>
>> Other than the hard disk requirements which is dependent on the data size and the projected rate of growth, does any one have any recommendations in this regard?
>>

> Hi,
>
> I would check how many VMs are sharing the same network interface.
>
> Milan

Re: Server Specs for 4Dv15/16 under Windows Server 2016

4D Tech mailing list

> On 1Aug, 2017, at 20:30, Ronnie Teo via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Milan,
>
> Thanks for your mail.  Could you please elaborate more about the significance of the number of VMs on the same network interface?
>
> I’m totally new to Windows Server 2016, so am quite clueless as to its requirements….
> Also, say given a datafile file size of about 6GB, with about 30 users +/- at any one time, what would you recommend by way of hardware specs for the server and the amount of RAM to allocate?

Hi Ronnie,

it has nothing to do with Windows Server 2016 you are going to use, or the “hardware” specs of your VM, you can always increase RAM or get “faster” processor. But your provider might put your VM on a hardware server with tens or maybe hundreds of other VMs, but only with few network cards. So, let say that your VM is using same network card as 10 more VMs doing 4D Server work with hundreds of 4D Client connections, suddenly you have almost the same situation as if your 4D Server is handling thousand or so connections, even worse, you don’t know and you can’t do nothing to increase performance on your own.

Milan