The writing is on the wall

4D Tech mailing list
We all need to be testing the new network layer and getting our feedback to 4D...

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/apple-prepares-macos-users-for-discontinuation-of-32-bit-app-support/

Re: The writing is on the wall

4D Tech mailing list
On Jan 25, 2018, at 9:21 PM, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:

> We all need to be testing the new network layer and getting our feedback to 4D...
>
> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/apple-prepares-macos-users-for-discontinuation-of-32-bit-app-support/

Well, not just the network layer… still waiting for some plugins to go 64bit (4D View & 4D Write for example).
--
Julio Carneiro

Re: The writing is on the wall

4D View & 4D Write are not going 64 bit, that's what the pro versions are.

As far as 32 bit support, my guess is 10.14 will have grudging support and
10.15 will just say No!

Regards,

Wayne

[image: --]
Wayne Stewart
[image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
<http://about.me/waynestewart>

On 26 January 2018 at 12:34, Julio Carneiro via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 9:21 PM, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > We all need to be testing the new network layer and getting our feedback
> to 4D...
> >
> > https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/apple-prepares-macos-users-for-
> discontinuation-of-32-bit-app-support/
> >
> Well, not just the network layer… still waiting for some plugins to go
> 64bit (4D View & 4D Write for example).
> --
> Julio Carneiro

Re: The writing is on the wall

Unless something has changed, it is not just plug ins quick report on 64 does not support cross tab reports

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

> On Jan 25, 2018, at 8:34 PM, Julio Carneiro via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Jan 25, 2018, at 9:21 PM, Jeffrey Kain via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>> We all need to be testing the new network layer and getting our feedback to 4D...
>>
>> https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/apple-prepares-macos-users-for-discontinuation-of-32-bit-app-support/ <https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/01/apple-prepares-macos-users-for-discontinuation-of-32-bit-app-support/>
>>
> Well, not just the network layer… still waiting for some plugins to go 64bit (4D View & 4D Write for example).

Re: The writing is on the wall

4D Tech mailing list
blog:

https://blog.4d.com/easily-create-cross-tables-reports-with-the-quick-report-editor/

doc:

http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R5/4D/16-R5/Overview.300-3509185.en.html

---

thinking aloud: the HTML template feature

http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R5/4D/16-R5/QR-SET-HTML-TEMPLATE.301-3481576.en.html

which is like an ancestor to 4D tags,
could technically be used for printing,
since CSS supports document size and print media.

it could also be used to generate SVG,
which could be placed on a form as a picture and printed.

> 2018/01/26 12:51、Chuck Miller via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> のメール:
> Unless something has changed, it is not just plug ins quick report on 64 does not support cross tab reports

Re: The writing is on the wall

The title of the post is correct.  Here is my view…

Since the new network layer was introduced I have tried firing up various databases with this setting on.  In every case I have changed it back after a day or two as it was so unstable and was causing me so many issues.  These were existing systems under test, new projects under development and even a production system that had been upgrade and the setting was missed.

All servers run 64bit but we currently have no plans for 64bit clients so this is not immediate issue but as you say the “Writing is on the wall” and the clock is ticking as it has been for the past few years.

90% of all our deployments and development are running on hosted servers in the cloud and rely on any number of broadband providers and cabling solutions.  All of which works well enough via the legacy network layer but is unstable via the new networking layer.

I do not have resources to carry out in depth analysis and reporting on stuff like this.  We pay good money for a good product and I can only hope that 4D will continue to work on the network layer and make it stable and usable for all parties.

I have read the long descriptions of the history of the legacy network layer and all the work arounds.  I fully understand the pain of trying to implement something new but I cannot afford to take that pain on.  I will keep trying it with every release and when it appears stable I will deploy it.

Regards,  Dougie

telekinetix Limited- J. Douglas Cryer
Phone : 01234 761759  Mobile : 07973 675 218
2nd Floor Broadway House, 4-6 The Broadway, Bedford MK40 2TE
Email : [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>  Web : http://www.telekinetix.com <http://www.telekinetix.com/>

Re: The writing is on the wall

Thanks for the update, That was one of the final things we are waiting for
re 64 bit clients. For now we are still at 15.5 and will be so for a while

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 2:14 AM, Keisuke Miyako via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> blog:
>
> https://blog.4d.com/easily-create-cross-tables-reports-
> with-the-quick-report-editor/
>
> doc:
>
> http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R5/4D/16-R5/Overview.300-3509185.en.html
>
> ---
>
> thinking aloud: the HTML template feature
>
> http://doc.4d.com/4Dv16R5/4D/16-R5/QR-SET-HTML-TEMPLATE.
> 301-3481576.en.html
>
> which is like an ancestor to 4D tags,
> could technically be used for printing,
> since CSS supports document size and print media.
>
> it could also be used to generate SVG,
> which could be placed on a form as a picture and printed.
>
> > 2018/01/26 12:51、Chuck Miller via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> のメール:
> > Unless something has changed, it is not just plug ins quick report on 64
> does not support cross tab reports

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Server connectivity