Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

4D Tech mailing list
kb.4D.com is a wealth of info about 4D and, as much as I try to learn and
incorporate new tools and techniques, this one passed under my radar.

I was reading some of Miyako's comments on the Forum a few months ago and
he mentioned the ability to run two copies of 4D Remote on the same OS on
the same machine. Seeing that I'm working on an app that uses main event
loop and opens a small, fixed-size window this tech note was a
huge productivity booster.

Check out this tech note - http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76425

--
Douglas von Roeder

Re: Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

4D Tech mailing list
Doug,

I think you've been asleep at the wheel for a while!!  That's dated 2011
and I'm sure I can remember doing it in v2004.

Regards,

Wayne

[image: --]
Wayne Stewart
[image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
<http://about.me/waynestewart>

On 14 July 2017 at 09:06, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> kb.4D.com is a wealth of info about 4D and, as much as I try to learn and
> incorporate new tools and techniques, this one passed under my radar.
>
> I was reading some of Miyako's comments on the Forum a few months ago and
> he mentioned the ability to run two copies of 4D Remote on the same OS on
> the same machine. Seeing that I'm working on an app that uses main event
> loop and opens a small, fixed-size window this tech note was a
> huge productivity booster.
>
> Check out this tech note - http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76425
>
> --
> Douglas von Roeder
> 949-336-2902

Re: Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

4D Tech mailing list
Mind you it took me a long time to discover the Folder separator constant!!

On 14 July 2017 at 09:13, Wayne Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I think you've been asleep at the wheel for a while!!  That's dated 2011
> and I'm sure I can remember doing it in v2004.
>

> Regards,
>
> Wayne
>

> [image: --]
> Wayne Stewart
> [image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
> <http://about.me/waynestewart>
>

> On 14 July 2017 at 09:06, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> kb.4D.com is a wealth of info about 4D and, as much as I try to learn and
>> incorporate new tools and techniques, this one passed under my radar.
>>
>> I was reading some of Miyako's comments on the Forum a few months ago and
>> he mentioned the ability to run two copies of 4D Remote on the same OS on
>> the same machine. Seeing that I'm working on an app that uses main event
>> loop and opens a small, fixed-size window this tech note was a
>> huge productivity booster.
>>
>> Check out this tech note - http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76425
>>
>> --
>> Douglas von Roeder
>> 949-336-2902
>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

Re: Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

4D Tech mailing list
Wayne:

There are lots of commands and features that we become aware of but, if we
don't put them into use, we tend to forget them. There's just too many
commands, for me at least, to keep track of.

Good case in point is Choose. 4D snuck that in with V11 but I never used
that version (I refer to it as "4D Vista") so I didn't run across that
command until a few years ago. Chip had his "Eureka moment" about Choose
the other day and, rightfully, started a thread about his use of that
little nugget (pun intended).

"I think you've been asleep at the wheel for a while!!"  I don't sleep
while driving; only when I'm on my GoldWing . ;-)

--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 4:15 PM, Wayne Stewart via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Mind you it took me a long time to discover the Folder separator constant!!
>

> Regards,
>
> Wayne
>

> [image: --]
> Wayne Stewart
> [image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
> <http://about.me/waynestewart>
>

> On 14 July 2017 at 09:13, Wayne Stewart <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Doug,
> >
> > I think you've been asleep at the wheel for a while!!  That's dated 2011
> > and I'm sure I can remember doing it in v2004.
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Wayne
> >

> > [image: --]
> > Wayne Stewart
> > [image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
> > <http://about.me/waynestewart>
> >

> > On 14 July 2017 at 09:06, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> kb.4D.com is a wealth of info about 4D and, as much as I try to learn
> and
> >> incorporate new tools and techniques, this one passed under my radar.
> >>
> >> I was reading some of Miyako's comments on the Forum a few months ago
> and
> >> he mentioned the ability to run two copies of 4D Remote on the same OS
> on
> >> the same machine. Seeing that I'm working on an app that uses main event
> >> loop and opens a small, fixed-size window this tech note was a
> >> huge productivity booster.
> >>
> >> Check out this tech note - http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76425
> >>
> >> --
> >> Douglas von Roeder
> >> 949-336-2902
> >> **********************************************************************
> >> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> >> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> >> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> >> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> >> **********************************************************************

Re: Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

on a Mac, assume similar for Windows.
Create as many copies of the application as needed,
open and 'point' to server.

My dock has 7 4D icons in it. (3 v13, 2 v12, 2 v11)

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 09:13:35 +1000, Wayne Stewart via 4D_Tech wrote:

> Doug,
>
> I think you've been asleep at the wheel for a while!!  That's dated 2011
> and I'm sure I can remember doing it in v2004.
>

> Regards,
>
> Wayne
>

> [image: --]
> Wayne Stewart
> [image: http://]about.me/waynestewart
> <http://about.me/waynestewart>
>

> On 14 July 2017 at 09:06, Douglas von Roeder via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> kb.4D.com is a wealth of info about 4D and, as much as I try to learn and
>> incorporate new tools and techniques, this one passed under my radar.
>>
>> I was reading some of Miyako's comments on the Forum a few months ago and
>> he mentioned the ability to run two copies of 4D Remote on the same OS on
>> the same machine. Seeing that I'm working on an app that uses main event
>> loop and opens a small, fixed-size window this tech note was a
>> huge productivity booster.
>>
>> Check out this tech note - http://kb.4d.com/assetid=76425
>>
>> --
>> Douglas von Roeder
>> 949-336-2902
>> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html

Re: Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

4D Tech mailing list
I don't think it is necessary to create copies if you are connecting to different servers.

just use

open -n

https://developer.apple.com/legacy/library/documentation/Darwin/Reference/ManPages/man1/open.1.html

but you do need to create a copy and give it a ClientLocal folder
if you need to connect multiple client to the same server.

> 2017/07/14 22:46、Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> のメール:
>
> on a Mac, assume similar for Windows.
> Create as many copies of the application as needed,
> open and 'point' to server.

Re: Very Simple Way to Access Server with Two Copies of Remote from the Same Machine

4D Tech mailing list
I assumed same server.