Web area fail on accessing secure area

4D Tech mailing list
Hi

I’m slightly poking around in the dark here looking for a handle.

In a 4D Web Area, the a login “submit" button has no effect when submitting username and password to a secure area. The site concerned is the gov.uk (UK Government services).

i.e. we start here: https://www.gov.uk/log-in-register-hmrc-online-services
Then click the “Sign In” button which takes the user to the logon page. After that the subsequent submit action fails if done through a 4D Web Area on Windows (works fin on Mac). The perplexing thing is that a test version of this page works - even on Windows. (I am subscribed to the gov.uk HMRC Developer Hub which provides “sandbox” environments. The logon works fine in the sandbox with the 4D web area). By the way, I of course tested it with a regular browser and it works fine.

I don’t expect any instant solutions but if anyone has any bright ideas for further investigation I’d appreciate hearing them !

Specs are:

4D v15
Plain form with WebArea ("Use Internal Web Kit”=True)
No 4D methods involved except WA OPEN URL(web are;url)
Windows 7, Windows 10 tested

Best Regards

Peter

Re: Web area fail on accessing secure area

4D Tech mailing list
Peter,

> I don’t expect any instant solutions but if anyone has any bright ideas for further investigation I’d appreciate hearing them !

Welcome to the quirky world of web areas on 4D v15.

You may need to switch the rendering engine to successfully connect to your https service. When the Art Institute of Chicago developed a DAMS with a browser interface for us to connect to I remember trying all kinds of combinations to get the SSO service to manage and maintain the connection. I wound up writing a bit of component code to track every 4D form and web event, recording them in a log so that I could see exactly which actions were effective and what the external service was sending back to the web area. We have since moved on to v17 R3 and are all 64 bit. Things are much better with the blink engine.

When you no longer use the Internal web kit, web areas will behave differently between Mac and Windows. Mac OS hands off handling to the current web kit of the system and Windows uses and equivalent system level rendering engine. An external browser is good to help you see the sequence of pages and responses sent from the host system. It took some time for us to make it work cross platform.

Edgar Hammond                            [hidden email]
Quest Information Systems                                 847 234-1345
http://www.questinformation.com