What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

4D Tech mailing list
Hi folks,

A couple of users are suddenly getting these errors attempting to login to
our server over WAN. One had recently upgraded his OS to Sierra and I
thought it might be something to do with that. I deleted all his old 4D
folders, reinstalled the db and still got a plugin sync error. I'm using
Sierra 12.6 so it's a mystery to me why his machine barfs and I don't.

Then another user, at the same location, noticed a computer there was
throwing the component sync error.

I've typically seen this sort of thing involve network lag issues but there
are other users on that same network apparently having no issues.

Any thoughts?

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

4D Tech mailing list
Kirk

I don’t know if the following information has any relevance to you issue.  A few months back I was testing something out that resulted in my creating large files(>2gb) inside my .4dbase(package). When i logged in from ‘client’ to server i noticed a significant load on folder synching and the synching would then fail.

It is worth checking you have not ended up with something large in your folder that is synching to client.

Nigel Greenlee

> On 14 Jun 2017, at 21:26, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi folks,
>
> A couple of users are suddenly getting these errors attempting to login to
> our server over WAN. One had recently upgraded his OS to Sierra and I
> thought it might be something to do with that. I deleted all his old 4D
> folders, reinstalled the db and still got a plugin sync error. I'm using
> Sierra 12.6 so it's a mystery to me why his machine barfs and I don't.
>
> Then another user, at the same location, noticed a computer there was
> throwing the component sync error.
>
> I've typically seen this sort of thing involve network lag issues but there
> are other users on that same network apparently having no issues.
>
> Any thoughts?
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
> =======================
>
> *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.*
>
> *- Edmund Burke*

Re: What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

4D Tech mailing list
Nigel,
I've narrowed it down to some issue with the network. There isn't anything
particularly huge in the plugin or network folders. But watching the actual
data transfer (that is, watching the graph on Little Snitch) I see that the
download just stops and then 4D times out and puts up the "Couldn't sync
Plugins folder" message. Just contacted my guy at the colo asking if they
installed any load-balancing stuff as first thought. He says no.

I wonder if this is an artifact of the 4D network protocol?

On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Nigel Greenlee via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> A few months back I was testing something out that resulted in my creating
> large files(>2gb) inside my .4dbase(package). When i logged in from
> ‘client’ to server i noticed a significant load on folder synching and the
> synching would then fail.
>
> It is worth checking you have not ended up with something large in your
> folder that is synching to client.

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

4D Tech mailing list
Kirk..Could be i have heard funny things happen with the new protocol..

I can tell you a funny story though about a load balancer.

 I was working on a project(non-4D related) in which we were setting up users mobiles phones. The setup made a connection into the company infrastructer, we kept getting stuck with some phones just not getting a connection..lots of angst and a big blame fest…threats to throw us out of the building etc…weeks in(when nearly finished) they found the load balancer had a IP in its balancing list that no longer existed-so when we started setting up 10 phones at a time one of them would get directed to that IP and nothing would happen!

Good luck with network…

Nigel Greenlee

> On 15 Jun 2017, at 16:29, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Nigel,
> I've narrowed it down to some issue with the network. There isn't anything
> particularly huge in the plugin or network folders. But watching the actual
> data transfer (that is, watching the graph on Little Snitch) I see that the
> download just stops and then 4D times out and puts up the "Couldn't sync
> Plugins folder" message. Just contacted my guy at the colo asking if they
> installed any load-balancing stuff as first thought. He says no.
>
> I wonder if this is an artifact of the 4D network protocol?
>
> On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Nigel Greenlee via 4D_Tech <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> A few months back I was testing something out that resulted in my creating
>> large files(>2gb) inside my .4dbase(package). When i logged in from
>> ‘client’ to server i noticed a significant load on folder synching and the
>> synching would then fail.
>>
>> It is worth checking you have not ended up with something large in your
>> folder that is synching to client.
>>
> --
> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
> =======================
>
> *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing.*
>
> *- Edmund Burke*

Re: What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

4D Tech mailing list
Nigel,
Yeah, that sounds like regular rolling on the floor laughing material...

It's a good tip though. Thanks

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 8:48 AM, Nigel Greenlee via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Kirk..Could be i have heard funny things happen with the new protocol..
>
> I can tell you a funny story though about a load balancer.
>
>  I was working on a project(non-4D related) in which we were setting up
> users mobiles phones. The setup made a connection into the company
> infrastructer, we kept getting stuck with some phones just not getting a
> connection..lots of angst and a big blame fest…threats to throw us out of
> the building etc…weeks in(when nearly finished) they found the load
> balancer had a IP in its balancing list that no longer existed-so when we
> started setting up 10 phones at a time one of them would get directed to
> that IP and nothing would happen!
>
> Good luck with network…
>
> Nigel Greenlee
>

> > On 15 Jun 2017, at 16:29, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Nigel,
> > I've narrowed it down to some issue with the network. There isn't
> anything
> > particularly huge in the plugin or network folders. But watching the
> actual
> > data transfer (that is, watching the graph on Little Snitch) I see that
> the
> > download just stops and then 4D times out and puts up the "Couldn't sync
> > Plugins folder" message. Just contacted my guy at the colo asking if they
> > installed any load-balancing stuff as first thought. He says no.
> >
> > I wonder if this is an artifact of the 4D network protocol?
> >
> > On Wed, Jun 14, 2017 at 10:14 PM, Nigel Greenlee via 4D_Tech <
> > [hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> A few months back I was testing something out that resulted in my
> creating
> >> large files(>2gb) inside my .4dbase(package). When i logged in from
> >> ‘client’ to server i noticed a significant load on folder synching and
> the
> >> synching would then fail.
> >>
> >> It is worth checking you have not ended up with something large in your
> >> folder that is synching to client.
> >>
> > --
> > Kirk Brooks
> > San Francisco, CA
> > =======================
> >
> > *The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> > nothing.*
> >
> > *- Edmund Burke*
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: What are some causes of Plugin and Component folder synchronization errors?

4D Tech mailing list
On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 11:53 AM, Kirk Brooks via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Nigel,
> Yeah, that sounds like regular rolling on the floor laughing material...
>
> It's a good tip though. Thanks

Actually it sounds like a big money maker to me. No laughing matter.

-----------------------------
 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306 Fax: (617) 232-1064
 Informed Solutions, Inc.
       Providers of 4D, Sybase & SQL Sever connectivity
-----------------------------
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be
confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the
intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this
transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure,
printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in
reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this
message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not
compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption
from disclosure as to this communication.