What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

4D Tech mailing list
Users are beginning to get to me :)
Some of them WILL NOT follow instructions to accomplish something, no
matter how simple those instructions are.
I currently have one who is particularly bad!
I sent him an email detailing how to accomplish a particular task. It
contained an easy-to-follow 1-2-3 step-by-step guide with screenshots. I
spent ages writing it.
He called a bit later that day to say that it didn't work.
Did a screen-share with him and it was obvious that he hadn't followed the
instructions. I asked him:
"Did you read my email?|
"Oh", he replied, "I didn't read the whole thing."

AAAAARGH!!!

He has just done the same thing again today (with a different procedure).
Also I explained (in a email that he can re-read as often as necessary) why
another feature wasn't working the way he wanted it to, and how to fix it,
and he has just complained about that same issue again too.

How do you deal with people like this?

(sorry about the rant)

Pat

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

4D Tech mailing list
> How do you deal with people like this?

install a well done-award, good guy-carrot, when accomplished
and let him/her see during screensharing session

Regards
O r t w i n  Z i l l g e n
<mailto:[hidden email]>   <http://dddd.mettre.de/wp/?4713>
<feed://dddd.mettre.de/f/DDDD_Links.xml > <https://twitter.com/Ozett>
member of developer-network <http://www.die4Dwerkstatt.de>

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Pat,

An age old question.  I have a few thoughts around this.

My baseline is to start with the assumption that it is not the person but the system or the explanation that they have been given that needs improvement.  I suspect that you do this also but sometimes people can confound us.

Firstly, I employ people with more patience than myself for dealing with people who do not follow instructions we have provided.
We have policies about training that ensures a certain level of competency with our customers and their users.  We will not support all users just those who have been trained and have competency.
In really severe cases we have banned certain individuals from contacting our support team.

Sometimes the message needs to be adapted to the user as not everybody thinks the same way.  A bit like when somebody repeats back a telephone number in a different way to how you say it to them and you cannot check it :  I say 01234  - 271 - 930 and they say back 012 - 342 - 719 - thirty…

Taking a little walk and having a scream sometimes also helps :-)

Dougie

telekinetix Limited- J. Douglas Cryer
Phone : 01234 761759  Mobile : 07973 675 218
2nd Floor Broadway House, 4-6 The Broadway, Bedford MK40 2TE
Email : [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>  Web : http://www.telekinetix.com <http://www.telekinetix.com/>

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Pat,

There is a real difference between being a developer and being a trainer.
I'm not a particularly good trainer. I just can't get my head around the
beginner mind well enough in these circumstances to be really effective. In
others I can but not in 4D world. So it's usually best I refer such
questions to someone else because it's probably not so much an issue of the
actual technicality of the question as it is communicating it in both
directions. I hear the questions and tend to think of the technical
elements involved. They hear my answers as being long and overly
complicated instead of comprehensive and enlightening. And my emails are
too long. Part of that may be simple mansplaining but part is just the way
I think about it which is useful (mostly) as a developer but just too
freighted for a trainer.

Not much help here to your question I'm afraid. Except to say I don't think
it's your fault.

*The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.*

*- Edmund Burke*

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Pat,

Easy!

At the start of the function add:

If(Find in array(aListOfMorons;current user))
  Alert("Go ask Bob to run this report for you.")
else
  // normal operation
.
.
.
end if

   Tom Dillon                                           825 N. 500 W.
   DataCraft                                           Moab, UT 84532
   [hidden email]                           720/209-6502
      Thought for the day:  When someone annoys you, it takes 42
      muscles to frown. But it takes only 4 muscles to extend your
      arm and whack them in the head.

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

As Doug said different people learn differently.

Things to try:
- more or different style of training. i.e. instead of a presentation
give written documentation, instead of written documentation, show the
user and ask them to take their own notes (this helps as they have to
think through the process as they write), instead of any sort of
written/shown direction, tell them the necessary steps (some people can
not process visually well and still retain the information).

more of a stick then carrot...
- IF the support you are providing costs $ (i.e. the customer is paying
for it), make sure to include the support requester's boss, or other
designated client-side support contact. As potentially, they will track
the requests and costs associated with support requests.
- implement a support limit (after which a cost burden is incurred -
you can always wave this to make the customer happy, appear to be
giving them a break), the client is allowed X amount of free support
time, or y amount of support calls, or z amount of support email
requests. Document heavy support users in feedback to the client.

remember:
“Think of how stupid the *average* person is, and realize half of them
are stupider than that.”
― George Carlin  (emphasis mine)

Also :
"Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance."

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
And whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.
- National Lampoon : Deteriorata

Full Lyrics:
http://www.songlyrics.com/national-lampoon/deteriorata-lyrics/
Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ey6ugTmCYMk (missing the
intro 20 seconds but has great animation)

On Wed, 4 Oct 2017 12:39:59 +0100, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech wrote:

> Users are beginning to get to me :)
> Some of them WILL NOT follow instructions to accomplish something, no
> matter how simple those instructions are.
> I currently have one who is particularly bad!
> I sent him an email detailing how to accomplish a particular task. It
> contained an easy-to-follow 1-2-3 step-by-step guide with screenshots. I
> spent ages writing it.
> He called a bit later that day to say that it didn't work.
> Did a screen-share with him and it was obvious that he hadn't followed the
> instructions. I asked him:
> "Did you read my email?|
> "Oh", he replied, "I didn't read the whole thing."
>
> AAAAARGH!!!
>
> He has just done the same thing again today (with a different procedure).
> Also I explained (in a email that he can re-read as often as necessary) why
> another feature wasn't working the way he wanted it to, and how to fix it,
> and he has just complained about that same issue again too.
>
> How do you deal with people like this?
>
> (sorry about the rant)
>
> Pat

> CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
> tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
> w: http://www.catbase.com
> skype: pat.bensky

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

4D Tech mailing list
Yes this is true but tips who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it. A person who consistently does not read instructions fully and then complains may never. Just remember they are customer and tell them you will have to bill them if they continue to not follow instructions, as this was not part of support agreement. Or if they would rather you can do do it for them and bill a lot for that service to make it worth while.

It’s really funny what customers think you should do for them. I just removed myself from a customer as I had converted a compiled only version of 4D ever 1.5.x to later version of 4D v11 and have been supporting them since. They sold the company and the asked me to to stay and support application, but that the new company had hoped another remote developer to do the conversion. They did not understand why I would not do this.

 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 10:29 AM, Chip Scheide via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> As Doug said different people learn differently.

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Thank y'all for your helpful responses.
I think what I'll try is a little modification to Tom's code:

If(Find in array(aListOfMorons;current user))
   make a video showing them what to do
else
  // normal operation
end if

Actually it's quicker to make a little video than to write an email, and
with some people this is a better approach.

Pat

On 4 October 2017 at 15:29, Chip Scheide <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > and he has just complained about that same issue again too.
> >
> > How do you deal with people like this?
> >
> > (sorry about the rant)
> >
> > Pat
> >
> > --
> > CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
> > tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
> > w: http://www.catbase.com
> > skype: pat.bensky
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> ---------------
> Gas is for washing parts
> Alcohol is for drinkin'
> Nitromethane is for racing

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

OK how about another option Implement foot runner ? and send a file to execute. One line of instructions. Here run this!
 Chuck Miller Voice: (617) 739-0306
 Informed Solutions, Inc. Fax: (617) 232-1064
 mailto:cjmiller<AT SIGN>informed-solutions.com
       Providers of 4D and Sybase connectivity
This message and any attached documents contain information which may be confidential, subject to privilege or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  These materials are intended only for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient of this transmission, you are hereby notified that any distribution, disclosure, printing, copying, storage, modification or the taking of any action in reliance upon this transmission is strictly prohibited.  Delivery of this message to any person other than the intended recipient shall not compromise or waive such confidentiality, privilege or exemption from disclosure as to this communication.

> On Oct 4, 2017, at 10:55 AM, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank y'all for your helpful responses.
> I think what I'll try is a little modification to Tom's code:
>
> If(Find in array(aListOfMorons;current user))
>   make a video showing them what to do
> else
>  // normal operation
> end if
>
> Actually it's quicker to make a little video than to write an email, and
> with some people this is a better approach.

RE: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Pat,

Completely agree on your comment about video!

We started doing video's about a year ago.  Our videos are based upon the most frequent TS cases opened by our clients, so it is relevant to what is currently being requested of our TS Team.

We then created an interface in our system called the "Training Center" and this is simply a form with a HL and a web area on it.  All of our documentation (PDF, Excel & video) is stored on our web site, along with a file called "Index.html".  This index page is a specifically formatted document which contains all the information necessary to create a HL of available documentation (broken down into various categories and security levels).

The majority of the screen is the web area, so when a user clicks an item in the HL, the document is loaded into the web area for presentation.  We chose to implement this way because we can add new documentation to the web site at any point in time, and all our customers are instantly updated!

Let me know if you would like to see a screen shot or anything...

Best,

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.         Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]
> [...]

> > and he has just complained about that same issue again too.
> >
> > How do you deal with people like this?
> >
> > (sorry about the rant)
> >
> > Pat
> >
> > --
> > CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
> > tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
> > w: http://www.catbase.com
> > skype: pat.bensky
> > 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> > FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> > Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> > Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> ---------------
> Gas is for washing parts
> Alcohol is for drinkin'
> Nitromethane is for racing

CatBase - Top Dog in Data Publishing
tel: +44 (0) 207 118 7889
w: http://www.catbase.com
skype: pat.bensky

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Execution. In public, and slowly. Hanging, drawing and quartering used to be popular, among both executioners and the viewing public, and I’m sure there’s a case for bringing it back.

Jeremy Roussak
[hidden email]

> On 4 Oct 2017, at 12:39, Pat Bensky via 4D_Tech <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Users are beginning to get to me :)
> Some of them WILL NOT follow instructions to accomplish something, no
> matter how simple those instructions are.
> I currently have one who is particularly bad!
> I sent him an email detailing how to accomplish a particular task. It
> contained an easy-to-follow 1-2-3 step-by-step guide with screenshots. I
> spent ages writing it.
> He called a bit later that day to say that it didn't work.
> Did a screen-share with him and it was obvious that he hadn't followed the
> instructions. I asked him:
> "Did you read my email?|
> "Oh", he replied, "I didn't read the whole thing."
>
> AAAAARGH!!!
>
> He has just done the same thing again today (with a different procedure).
> Also I explained (in a email that he can re-read as often as necessary) why
> another feature wasn't working the way he wanted it to, and how to fix it,
> and he has just complained about that same issue again too.
>
> How do you deal with people like this?
>
> (sorry about the rant)
>
> Pat

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 5 :06 PM, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Completely agree on your comment about video!
>
> <snip>
>

> Let me know if you would like to see a screen shot or anything...

That sounds *awesome*. Any chance that you would do a 4DMETHOD or 4D Summit
presentation on this?

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

4D Tech mailing list
Steve,

That looks great! Thanks for the screen shots, they really show what you
were talking about.

Curious: Do the pictures show up on the NUG? If we can post pictures
there...I'd like to know.

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Steve,
That sounds very interesting - I'd love to see some screen shots. And I
think it would make a very good Summit presentation!
Pat

On 4 October 2017 at 16:06, Stephen J. Orth <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Pat,
>
> Completely agree on your comment about video!
>
> We started doing video's about a year ago.  Our videos are based upon the
> most frequent TS cases opened by our clients, so it is relevant to what is
> currently being requested of our TS Team.
>
> We then created an interface in our system called the "Training Center"
> and this is simply a form with a HL and a web area on it.  All of our
> documentation (PDF, Excel & video) is stored on our web site, along with a
> file called "Index.html".  This index page is a specifically formatted
> document which contains all the information necessary to create a HL of
> available documentation (broken down into various categories and security
> levels).
>
> The majority of the screen is the web area, so when a user clicks an item
> in the HL, the document is loaded into the web area for presentation.  We
> chose to implement this way because we can add new documentation to the web
> site at any point in time, and all our customers are instantly updated!
>
> Let me know if you would like to see a screen shot or anything...
>
> Best,
>

> Steve

>   Stephen J. Orth
>   The Aquila Group, Inc.         Office:  (608) 834-9213
>   P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
>   Sun Prairie, WI 53590
>
>   E-Mail:  [hidden email]

For short documentation/training, I use Clarify:

http://www.clarify-it.com/learn <http://www.clarify-it.com/learn>

It is on Mac & Windows.

Great product with good training.

Thanks,
Walt Nelson (Seattle)
New stuff coming!
www.foundationshell.com <http://www.foundationshell.com/>

On Oct 4, 2017, at 7:54 PM, David Adams  wrote:

> That sounds *awesome*. Any chance that you would do a 4DMETHOD or 4D Summit
> presentation on this?

I agree with David. I’d love to see how all this works. I’d love to add this to one of my existing 4D applications.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

RE: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Did you read this: http://www.clarify-it.com/blog/the-future-of-clarify: The Future (or Lack Thereof) of Clarify and Clarify-it.com

Regards
Lutz

> For short documentation/training, I use Clarify:
>
> http://www.clarify-it.com/learn <http://www.clarify-it.com/learn>
>
> It is on Mac & Windows.
>
> Great product with good training.

RE: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

Everyone,

Well, I never anticipated so much interest in our DMM Training Center concept, so it took me a little off-guard.

Due to all the requests, I have shared a couple screen shots of this at the following:

        https://www.screencast.com/t/7hfZHYefaXbq

A brief overview of what you are looking at:

The first image is an example of a video we produced, in this case it concerns how to install new license codes.  If you look at the HL on the left you can see what type of documents are available by category, along with the type of document.  All you do is select the document of interest and it is displayed.  In the example shown above, the video is loaded and automatically starts playing.

The second screen shot of what you receive when selecting a PDF document.

I just wanted to develop something which was easy to access from within our sofwtare, plus the ability for our organization to dynamically update everyone at the same time, without having to release new versions.

Let me know what you think...

Best,

Steve

  Stephen J. Orth
  The Aquila Group, Inc.         Office:  (608) 834-9213
  P.O. Box 690                           Mobile:  (608) 347-6447
  Sun Prairie, WI 53590

  E-Mail:  [hidden email]

On Oct 4, 2017, at 7:54 PM, David Adams  wrote:

> That sounds *awesome*. Any chance that you would do a 4DMETHOD or 4D Summit
> presentation on this?

I agree with David. I’d love to see how all this works. I’d love to add this to one of my existing 4D applications.

Tim Nevels
Innovative Solutions

Re: What to do about users who won't follow instructions?

4D Tech mailing list
On Thu, Oct 5, 2017 at 3:13 PM, Stephen J. Orth via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> Let me know what you think...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pictures, they really get your idea across.