Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

rooftop99
Hi All,

4D allows background images to be associated with menu bars, which is useful.  However, is there a way to modify the grayish-brown backdrop which is aways in the background of an application running on Windows? (Example.  If you turn off Display Windows Splash Screen on the interface tab of the Database Settings your application will open with this grayish-brown backdrop.  It stays in the background, which is perfect.  I would like to modify how it looks…Possible??)

In an effort to create a custom background I have tried turning on the Splash Screen under Interface/Database Settings and then setting it to full screen at startup.  This works fine if you only use the Application process.  However, if you have multiple processes running, each containing an output or input window, a user can accidentally click on the Application process window brining it forward and hiding the other process windows.  Essentially you are bringing the background window to the font and moving all other windows behind it… Not a great user experience.  Even if there were a simple command to send a specific window to the back - I could probably work with it to get the effect I want.  unfortunately, there is no such command (that I could find…).

It seem like it should be easy, but I am obviously missing something.  I would like to have a custom, modern looking multi-process application. To do so I need control over a static background.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Kirk

4D v15.2 running on Windows boxes (client/server)
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

KirkBrooks
Hi Kirk,
On windows you're screwed by the MDI window. Especially annoying if you've
ever worked with 4D on a Mac and have the freedom of using all of the
screens regardless of their configuration.

I use the Splash screen too but have it relatively small - about 400 wide
and 200 tall.

Fun fact about Windows: since the MDI window is rectangular a user with
multiple monitors can size it so not all of it is visible. Happens a lot
with laptop users working in different places (home/office). This isn't a
problem for 4D but can result in windows opening up but the user can't see
them which feels to them like 4D isn't working right.

On Tue, Nov 22, 2016 at 10:25 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thoughts?
>
> --
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA
=======================
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

Jeffrey Kain
This plug-in will let you change that gray MDI window background to any BMP image and tile it or scale it:

https://github.com/OrchardSoftware/4D-Win32API

You can also change the little corner icon of any window, and do other UI tricks that make a 4D app on Windows look quite nice, rather than 4D's default of, uh, "abandoned"? "barren"? "homely"? "Windows 3"?

 :)


> On Nov 23, 2016, at 9:56 AM, Kirk Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Kirk,
> On windows you're screwed by the MDI window. Especially annoying if you've
> ever worked with 4D on a Mac and have the freedom of using all of the
> screens regardless of their configuration.

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

KirkBrooks
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for that tip. Someday when I'm feeling charitable toward my windows
users I will have to try playing with it.

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Jeffrey Kain <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> This plug-in will let you change that gray MDI window background to any
> BMP image and tile it or scale it:
>
> https://github.com/OrchardSoftware/4D-Win32API
>
> You can also change the little corner icon of any window, and do other UI
> tricks that make a 4D app on Windows look quite nice, rather than 4D's
> default of, uh, "abandoned"? "barren"? "homely"? "Windows 3"?
>
--
Kirk Brooks
San Francisco, CA
=======================
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

Jeffrey Kain
Those lucky users... :)

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 11:35 AM, Kirk Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Someday when I'm feeling charitable toward my windows
> users I will have to try playing with it.

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

Wayne Stewart
In reply to this post by KirkBrooks
Kirk,

They don't deserve your pity, they brought it on themselves!

Regards,

Wayne


Wayne Stewart
about.me/waynestewart




On 24 November 2016 at 03:35, Kirk Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Jeff,
> Thanks for that tip. Someday when I'm feeling charitable toward my windows
> users I will have to try playing with it.
>
> On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 7:19 AM, Jeffrey Kain <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> This plug-in will let you change that gray MDI window background to any
>> BMP image and tile it or scale it:
>>
>> https://github.com/OrchardSoftware/4D-Win32API
>>
>> You can also change the little corner icon of any window, and do other UI
>> tricks that make a 4D app on Windows look quite nice, rather than 4D's
>> default of, uh, "abandoned"? "barren"? "homely"? "Windows 3"?
>>
> --
> Kirk Brooks
> San Francisco, CA
> =======================
> **********************************************************************
> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> **********************************************************************
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Window Management and Background Image (Windows OS)

rooftop99
In reply to this post by Jeffrey Kain
Excellent!  Thank you, Jeff!  I will give it a try…

Kirk C.

> On Nov 23, 2016, at 7:19 AM, Jeffrey Kain <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This plug-in will let you change that gray MDI window background to any BMP image and tile it or scale it:
>
> https://github.com/OrchardSoftware/4D-Win32API
>
> You can also change the little corner icon of any window, and do other UI tricks that make a 4D app on Windows look quite nice, rather than 4D's default of, uh, "abandoned"? "barren"? "homely"? "Windows 3"?
>
> :)
>
>
>> On Nov 23, 2016, at 9:56 AM, Kirk Brooks <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Kirk,
>> On windows you're screwed by the MDI window. Especially annoying if you've
>> ever worked with 4D on a Mac and have the freedom of using all of the
>> screens regardless of their configuration.
>
> **********************************************************************
> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> **********************************************************************

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************