"Failed to synchronize Resources folder." Error

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

"Failed to synchronize Resources folder." Error

4D Tech mailing list
I’ve recently seen a big increase in this error message reported by two clients running 4D Server v14.4.

Also have seen “The plug-in method cannot be executed.” error message that appears to be connected to this in some situations.

Client reports this for some users, but not all. Some users have never gotten this error message, others have received it several times over the last few month. Both clients are all Windows 10 users.

Doing my tech support on this I have tracked this down to the “resources” or “local cache files” that 4D creates. The location is: "C:\Users\{userName}\AppData\Local\{programName}”.

I would go try to delete this folder and Windows Explorer would report it was unable to because it contains files that were in use. It was necessary to restart the computer to be able delete the folder. Once the folder is deleted 4D Remote would startup and recreate the folder without error.

One guess is anti-virus software. I’m wondering if that could be scanning or fooling around with this folder and making 4D Remote think it needs to rebuild the Resources folder. Of course I’ve not installed new versions of my 4D application so there should be no need to do this. So why are some users seeing this happen?

Is it possible the anti-virus software — and I don’t know which one the clients are using — is seeing ".dll” files in this folder and freaking out and doing something to them that is triggering this mess. Doing a restart of the machine and then immediately deleting the folder always fixes the problem.

Something has changed for some users that is causing this problem to start happening, but I’m not sure what it is.

Has anyone else seen an increase in this error message from clients in the past few months?

Tim
 
Tim Nevels
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Innovative Solutions
785-749-3444


**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Failed to synchronize Resources folder." Error

4D Tech mailing list
Tim:

I haven't had reports of that from clients but I've seen that in
development (I always work in client/server) and I'm seeing it with apps in
V12, V13, and V15. Last month, I sent the V15 to an Active4D programmer and
he hit that same issue. My work around is to relaunch the server and wait a
few seconds before logging in. I have no idea if that's just "voodoo
programming" or not but I don't get the alert the second time I attempt to
log in.

It's happened with anti-virus software shut off, I've run DiskWarrior on OS
X and diskcheck on Windows, and have cleaned out the AppData folders but it
still crops up from time to time.

Of note is that the "update resources folder" simply does not work for the
versions that I'm using. I put it in the same category as the "close door"
button that you see in elevators - nice button that does nothing.

My MacBook Pro is "late 2013" model that I bought in early 2014.
DiskWarrior, DiskUtility, TechTool Pro, and DiskSensei all indicate that
the file structures and the SSD itself are operating correctly.



--
Douglas von Roeder
949-336-2902

On Tue, Jan 16, 2018 at 9:55 AM, Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve recently seen a big increase in this error message reported by two
> clients running 4D Server v14.4.
>
> Also have seen “The plug-in method cannot be executed.” error message that
> appears to be connected to this in some situations.
>
> Client reports this for some users, but not all. Some users have never
> gotten this error message, others have received it several times over the
> last few month. Both clients are all Windows 10 users.
>
> Doing my tech support on this I have tracked this down to the “resources”
> or “local cache files” that 4D creates. The location is:
> "C:\Users\{userName}\AppData\Local\{programName}”.
>
> I would go try to delete this folder and Windows Explorer would report it
> was unable to because it contains files that were in use. It was necessary
> to restart the computer to be able delete the folder. Once the folder is
> deleted 4D Remote would startup and recreate the folder without error.
>
> One guess is anti-virus software. I’m wondering if that could be scanning
> or fooling around with this folder and making 4D Remote think it needs to
> rebuild the Resources folder. Of course I’ve not installed new versions of
> my 4D application so there should be no need to do this. So why are some
> users seeing this happen?
>
> Is it possible the anti-virus software — and I don’t know which one the
> clients are using — is seeing ".dll” files in this folder and freaking out
> and doing something to them that is triggering this mess. Doing a restart
> of the machine and then immediately deleting the folder always fixes the
> problem.
>
> Something has changed for some users that is causing this problem to start
> happening, but I’m not sure what it is.
>
> Has anyone else seen an increase in this error message from clients in the
> past few months?
>
> Tim
>
> Tim Nevels
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> Innovative Solutions
> 785-749-3444
>
>
> **********************************************************************
> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
> Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
> **********************************************************************
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Failed to synchronize Resources folder." Error

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
No issues with plugins, but we have a similar issue where 1 single user at 1 single location is getting errors logging in once or twice in the morning (random times) with a runtime error dialog saying

Cannot delete folder C:\Users\{user name}\AddData\Local\Temp\4D\{component name}_{random long string}\.

Cannot delete folder C:\Users\{user name}\AddData\Local\Temp\4D\{component name}_{random long string}\ not empty.

The ‘problem’ folder changes though.

We may get a screenshot one week where the folder for {component name} is XML_Tools and 4D Widgets. She’ll be fine for a few days or weeks, then she gets it again and its SVG_Area and 4D Widgets.

Then a few days later its 4D Widgets and 4D Progress.

Its all random. The problem folders are not always in the components folder (XML_Tools and SVG_Area only), but they are always in the \temp folder path where the user should have full permissions anyhow.

And all of this is before we ever even get into our On Startup method, so 4D is still doing its internal housekeeping stuff.

This is an OEM version of 4D v13.5, and only this 1 user amongst hundreds at many locations.

This one just happens to be an Enterprise level user with their own in house IT people (separate server and desktop teams)….been fun.

Just clueless. It started happening last September. Once per week, different days, for a while. Then nothing for the first couple weeks in December.

Bizarre, but true: When the user gets this dialog, she can continue on in. Then immediately log out, then log back in with no issues.

Very frustrating.

Randy

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jaynes
Senior Programmer and Customer Support

http://printpoint.com <http://printpoint.com/> • 845.687.3741 • PrintPoint, Inc • 57 Ludlow Lane • Palisades, NY 10964
Please send all email contacts to [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>




> On Jan 16, 2018, at 12:55 PM, Tim Nevels via 4D_Tech <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> I’ve recently seen a big increase in this error message reported by two clients running 4D Server v14.4.
>
> Also have seen “The plug-in method cannot be executed.” error message that appears to be connected to this in some situations.
>
> Client reports this for some users, but not all. Some users have never gotten this error message, others have received it several times over the last few month. Both clients are all Windows 10 users.
>
> Doing my tech support on this I have tracked this down to the “resources” or “local cache files” that 4D creates. The location is: "C:\Users\{userName}\AppData\Local\{programName}”.
>
> I would go try to delete this folder and Windows Explorer would report it was unable to because it contains files that were in use. It was necessary to restart the computer to be able delete the folder. Once the folder is deleted 4D Remote would startup and recreate the folder without error.
>
> One guess is anti-virus software. I’m wondering if that could be scanning or fooling around with this folder and making 4D Remote think it needs to rebuild the Resources folder. Of course I’ve not installed new versions of my 4D application so there should be no need to do this. So why are some users seeing this happen?
>
> Is it possible the anti-virus software — and I don’t know which one the clients are using — is seeing ".dll” files in this folder and freaking out and doing something to them that is triggering this mess. Doing a restart of the machine and then immediately deleting the folder always fixes the problem.
>
> Something has changed for some users that is causing this problem to start happening, but I’m not sure what it is.
>
> Has anyone else seen an increase in this error message from clients in the past few months?
>
> Tim
>  
> Tim Nevels
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Innovative Solutions
> 785-749-3444
>
>
> **********************************************************************
> 4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
> FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html <http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html>
> Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html <http://lists.4d.com/archives.html>
> Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech <http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech>
> Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> **********************************************************************

**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Failed to synchronize Resources folder." Error

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
On Jan 16, 2018, at 12:18 PM, Douglas von Roeder <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I haven't had reports of that from clients but I've seen that in development (I always work in client/server) and I'm seeing it with apps in V12, V13, and V15. Last month, I sent the V15 to an Active4D programmer and he hit that same issue. My work around is to relaunch the server and wait a few seconds before logging in. I have no idea if that's just "voodoo programming" or not but I don't get the alert the second time I attempt to log in.
>
> It's happened with anti-virus software shut off, I've run DiskWarrior on OS X and diskcheck on Windows, and have cleaned out the AppData folders but it still crops up from time to time.
>
> Of note is that the "update resources folder" simply does not work for the versions that I'm using. I put it in the same category as the "close door" button that you see in elevators - nice button that does nothing.
>
> My MacBook Pro is "late 2013" model that I bought in early 2014. DiskWarrior, DiskUtility, TechTool Pro, and DiskSensei all indicate that the file structures and the SSD itself are operating correctly.


Hi Doug,

I’ve been researching this problem and it appears to be related to "Webroot SecureAnywhere Endpoint Protection” anti-virus software. Seems it causes a lot of problems for many users. It likes to delete, block and kill all sorts of files in many locations that it thinks are “dangerous”.

It appears to think "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local" is one of those “dangerous” locations.

I have instructed my client to add "C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Local\{4D Application Name}” folder to the “allow” list in Webroot SecureAnywhere Endpoint Protection so that it will stop scanning it and blocking .dlls and other files it finds in this folder.

Tim
 
Tim Nevels
[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
Innovative Solutions
785-749-3444


**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: "Failed to synchronize Resources folder." Error

4D Tech mailing list
In reply to this post by 4D Tech mailing list
Randy Jaynes:

> Bizarre, but true: When the user gets this dialog, she can continue on in. Then immediately log out, then log back in with no issues.

To me that sounds as if some other software (malwareprotection or other diskcleaning stuff) has that file locked at the first attempt, so that 4D throws the error, while at the second attempt no other software is messing with that file.

Would be interesting to see if that error pops up on a computer with no "file-messing" software installed (not just turned off).

Greetings from Germany,
Bernd Fröhlich
**********************************************************************
4D Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ:  http://lists.4d.com/faqnug.html
Archive:  http://lists.4d.com/archives.html
Options: http://lists.4d.com/mailman/options/4d_tech
Unsub:  mailto:[hidden email]
**********************************************************************